Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Handling blank spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Handling blank spaces Post 302340840 by techmoris on Tuesday 4th of August 2009 02:13:18 PM
Old 08-04-2009
Handling blank spaces

Hi,

I am trying to replace a specific column values in a csv file with double quotes when I am find embedded spaces with in the fields.

Example:

SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,SEX,ADDRESS
1,Robert,74538,12,34, M,Robert Street, NY
2,Sam,07564,13,M,12 Main Ave, CA
3,Kim, Ed,12345,14,M,123D , MN

Desired Output:

SNO,NAME,ZIPCODE,RANK,SEX,ADDRESS
1,Robert Ken,74538,12,"34, Robert Street, NY"
2,Sam Mik,"07564",13,"12 Main Ave, CA"
3,"Kim, Ed",12345,14,"123D , MN"

As per my requirement, I was able to replace the ZIPCODE value with double quotes when I find a leading zeros for the zipcode. Also, I would like to replace the name in double quotes when I find a embedded comma with in the NAME.

Can someone tell me how to handle the embedded spaces(spaces can be one or many) and comma with in a field value as per the above example in the ADDRESS field.

following code was able to handly ZIPCODE and NAME

sed -e 's/,\(0[0-9]*\)/,\"\1\"/g' -e 's/,\([A-Za-z]*, [A-Za-z]*\),/,\"\1\",/g' tempfile.csv > file.csv

Thanks Smilie-

---------- Post updated at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:07 PM ----------

I got it...

sed -e 's/,\(0[0-9]*\)/,\"\1\"/g' -e 's/,\([ 0-9A-Za-z]*, [ 0-9A-Za-z]*\),/,\"\1\",/g' -e 's/,\([ 0-9A-Za-z]*, [ 0-9A-Za-z]*\),/,\"\1\",/g' file.csv
> tempfile.csv

Thanks!!

Last edited by techmoris; 08-04-2009 at 01:13 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

handling spaces in unix

I am testing a ksh script for email. In the script I receive several parameters. One of them is a subject. The subject may contain spaces. Ex. Test this. When I am running the script on telnet to test, how should the syntax at the command line be written. I have this: ksh ResendE.sh '001111'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercbw
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

blank spaces getting deleted

I have to filter out data from a file based on the value of first three characters of each record I have used the following logic FIN=$LOC/TEST2.TXT FEEDFILE=$LOC/TEST1.TXT while read FDROW do FEEDROW=$FDROW; DTYPE=`echo $FEEDROW |cut -c 1-3` if ; then echo $FEEDROW >> $FIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gander_ss
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling white spaces with getopt

Hi I'm trying to ensure that I have catered for all situations with my getopt cases. One other situation I want to cover is should the user enter the script without any preceding arguments eg: ./script_eg I need the script to the direct the user to the helpfile I have tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with Blank Spaces

Hi to all. How can I pass to the stat command a file path with blank spaces? And another question, if I use stat command like this: stat / -name "*.sh" -user $user_name -exec stat -c %n%x {} \; How can I get the result with a ":" into the name of the file and the time of the last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling directory with spaces in for loops

Hi everyone, I have been a big fan here since a couple years (since I started being an admin ...) and finally decided to become a member and help ppl and perhaps being helped Now I have a problem that might interest some of the gurus. I am abig fan of what I call "one liners". I am trying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: plmachiavel
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove blank spaces

Gents, Please can you help me.. to remove blank spaces :) Input ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,669 ,1817.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,686 ,1817.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ,1035 ,28 ,670 ,1819.0 ,CORREL BEFORE ,1 ABSOLUTE , ,FALSE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jiam912
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Processing: Handling spaces in a line

Hi All, Iam trying to get a file processed and some lines have spaces...the below is not working Want to remove empty line Want to remove lines that start with # Avoid line with substring WHOA When trying to get the substring from the var also Iam having trouble file is like VAR=VALUE,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
13 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file

Hi Gurus, Somebody can say me how to delete blank spaces and blank lines in a file unix, please. Thank you for advanced. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Handling filenames with spaces

I'm trying to handle some files with spaces in their name using "" or \ . Like "file 1" or file\ 1. My current confusion can be expressed by the following shell script: #!/bin/bash touch "file 1" "file 2" echo -n "ls: " ; ls echo --- for file in "file 1" "file 2" ; do echo $file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralph
9 Replies
MONGOEXPORT(1)							  Mongo Database						    MONGOEXPORT(1)

NAME
mongoexport - the Mongo export tool SYNOPSIS
mongoexport [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
mongoexport is a tool to export a MongoDB collection to either JSON or CSV. The query can be filtered or a list of fields to output can be given. If the output is CSV, the fields must be specified in order. EXAMPLES
mongoexport -d test -c test1 --csv -f name,num export documents from test.test1 in CSV format OPTIONS
--help show usage information -h, --host HOST server to connect to (default HOST=localhost) -d, --db DATABASE database to use -c, --c COLLECTION collection to use -q, --query QUERY query filter -f, --fields FIELDS comma-separated list of field names --csv export to CSV instead of JSON -o, --out FILE output file, if not specified, stdout is used --dbpath PATH directly access mongod data files in this path, instead of connecting to a mongod instance COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2009 10gen SEE ALSO
For more information, please refer to the MongoDB wiki, available at http://www.mongodb.org. AUTHOR
Kristina Chodorow 10gen June 2009 MONGOEXPORT(1)