Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Favorite UNIX-like OS for laptop Post 302340294 by Neo on Monday 3rd of August 2009 07:07:55 AM
Old 08-03-2009
The problem with your question, as I see it, is that it is too general.

If you describe the applications you plan to run, or the IDE you plan to develop in, and other requirements (server requirements, client side only, etc), it is better.

Just asking for "what is the best Linux for my laptop" is too vague, if you ask me, and the question does not have much value. Some people develop in Java, others do not. Some folks are LAMP developers, others are simply web surfers. Some folks like MS Office on the laptop, others like .....

It just goes on and on....

If you want a meaningful answer to such a question, you need to be very specific, otherwise you are simply asking for a bunch of opinions about "world peace" or "religion" etc.

Be specific.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to connect laptop to Unix system via Parallel port

Hi, I have been using a computer to keep track of inventory for my business. I am pretty sure it runs on Unix. In the back of the computer there is some sort of PCI card that has about 8 RJ-11 ports on it. I use that card to connect the Unix system to my 3 VT-220 terminals. I use a simple 6... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: john202
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount CD from local laptop to UNIX server remotely

I need some help in emergency. I want to add some software package from Solaris 10 CD remotely to UNIX Sparc machine. I can remotely access into the machine. Question is: how do I insert Solaris 10 CD in my laptop, then mount to UNIX machine remotely and add software package. Please give me the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
7 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Post Your Favorite UNIX/Linux Related RSS Feed Links

Hello, I am planning to revise the RSS News subforum areas, here: News, Links, Events and Announcements - The UNIX Forums ... maybe with a subforum for each OS specific news, like HP-UX, Solaris, RedHat, OSX, etc. RSS subforums.... Please post your favorite OS specific RSS (RSS2) link... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Laptop for unix

I like Unix systems very much. Is there possibility, to buy new modern laptop (something like core i7 3.0GHz, ATI/NVIDIA graphic card with 1024MB, 8GB of RAM) on which I will be able to install Unix systems like BSD and Solaris and use mic and cameras and all stuff with this systems? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcinnnn
4 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing unix/linux on HP(INTEL INSIDE) LAPTOP.

Please inform me on how to install unix/Linus on hp(Intel inside) lap top computer, with windows xp inside. Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: princektwo
2 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What's your favorite SSH client to connect to UNIX/Linux machines?

I am curious about the most popular ssh client on Windows environment. Talking about me, I use PuTTY most of the time coupled with WinSCP to transfer files. But, I like Tera Term too. It has great drag-drop feature where you can drag a file/folder and drop on the window and it will transfer the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
14 Replies

8. What is on Your Mind?

What's your all time favorite UNIX/Linux book?

I can bet everyone has their one favorite book even though we have had read many books on UNIX or Linux. My all time favorite is "Unix Power Tools". This book always made me geeky and I loved the little tricks/tips in the book. I still do! The next favorite would be "Prentice Hall Unix and Linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis

Video: What is Your Favorite Linux Distro? UNIX.com and Primis https://youtu.be/doa9sA6q9Uw With so many great flavors of Linux to choose from, we asked our UNIX.com members what is their favorite Linux distro and why. Here are the results: What is your favorite Linux distro? ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

What is Your Favorite Editor for Linux and UNIX? | A Video in 1080 HD

We have asked UNIX.com users over the years what is their favorite editor and why. Here is the top three answers. Here is a new YT video on this question: What Editor Does Everyone Use? https://youtu.be/gqE8RTZZt9g Of course, vi was the overwhelming favorite. Credits: 1080 HD... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
PURITY(6)                                                          Games Manual                                                          PURITY(6)

NAME
purity - a general purpose purity test SYNOPSIS
/usr/games/purity [ flags ] [ testname ] DESCRIPTION
Purity is an interactive purity test program with a simple, user interface and datafile format. For each test, questions are printed to the your terminal, and you are prompted for an answer to the current question. At a prompt, these are your choices: y Answer "yes" to the question. n Answer "no" to the question. b Backup one question, if you answered it incorrectly, or someone is watching you take the test, and you don't (or do) want to admit a different answer. r Redraw the current question. q Quit the test, and print the current score. ? Print a help screen for the current prompt. k Kill a section of the test. This skips all the questions of the test until the next subject heading. a Toggle answer mode between real answers and obfuscated answers. Real answers print "yes" and "no", while obfuscated answers are "Maybe" and "maybe". Obfuscated answers are preferred if you are shy, and don't want people to be able to read your answers over your shoulder as you take the test. d Toggle dERanGe output. s Print your current score on the test you are taking. l Toggle score logging. At the end of the test, your score is printed out. For most purity tests, lower scores denote more "experience" of the test material. FLAGS
These are the command line flags for the test. -a Show real answers (i.e. "yes" and "no") instead of obfuscated ones (i.e. "Maybe" and "maybe") as you answer the questions. -d PrINt THe tESt in DerANgeD pRInT. -f Take the test in fast mode. Only the questions are printed, and not any other text blocks, like the introdution, subject headers, and the conclusion. -l Take the test without having your score logged. -p Print the test without prompting for answers. This is useful for making hard copies of the tests without having to edit out the prompts by hand. -r Decrypt the test using the Rot 13 algorithm. This is done as a form of "protection", such that if you read a rot13 test and it offends you, it's your own fault. -z zoom through more prompts in large text blocks. The default is to prompt the user for more when a screenful of text has been printed without any user input. DATAFILE FORMAT
The format of the datafiles is a very simple format, intended such that new tests can quickly and easily be converted to run with the test. There are four types of text in a purity test datafile. Each type is contained in a bracket type of punctuation. The definitions are as follows: the styles of text blocks are: { plain text block } [ subject header ] ( test question ) and < conclusion > Plain text blocks are printed out character for character. Subject headers are preceded by their subject numbers, starting at 1, and then printed as text blocks. Questions are preceded by their numbers, and then prompt the user to answer the question, keeping track of the user's current score. Conclusions first calculate and print the user's score for the test, then print out the conclusion as a text block. If you wish to include any of the various bracket punctuation in your text, the backslash ("") character will escape the next character. To print a question with parentheses, you would use the following format: (have you ever written a purity test (like this one)?) the output would be this: 1. have you ever written a purity test (like this one)? and then it would have asked the user for her/his answer. For a generic datafile, use the "sample" datafile for the test. FILES
/var/games/purity.scores the score logfile /usr/share/games/purity/* test data files AUTHOR
Eric Lechner, lechner@ucscb.ucsc.edu 18 December 1989 PURITY(6)