Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Join in a single line variable number of lines Post 302340158 by cgkmal on Monday 3rd of August 2009 01:25:31 AM
Old 08-03-2009
Many thanks Mr. cfajohnson. Very appreciated your help. It works exactly like I was looking for.

One more thing.

May you or somebody please explain a little bit how your code work?

Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Edit number of lines in a file to single line

Greetings, I have a file: hostnames.txt which has - # cat hostnames.txt machine1 machine2 I need the output to be saved to a variable as: HOSTNAMELIST=machine1,machine2 Please advise. Thanks, Chiru (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

join lines on line break in files

i had a file where lines appear to be broken when they shouldn't eg Line 1. kerl abc sdskd sdsjkdlsd sdsdksd \ Line 2. ksdkks sdnjs djsdjsd i can do a shift join to combine the lines but i there are plenty of files with this issue Line 1. kerl abc sdskd sdsjkdlsd sdsdksd ksdkks sdnjs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad_man12
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use Perl to join multi-line into single line

Hello, Did anyone know how to write a perl script to merge the multi-line into a single line where each line with start at timestamp Input--> timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; a; b; c; timestamp=2009-11-10-04.55.20.829347; aa; bb; cc; (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyday
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

join based on line number when one file is missing lines

I have a file that contains 87 lines, each with a set of coordinates (x & y). This file looks like: 1 200.3 -0.3 2 201.7 -0.32 ... 87 200.2 -0.314 I have another file which contains data that was taken at certain of these 87 positions. i.e.: 37 125 42 175 86 142 where the first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackiev
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple lines in a single column to be merged as a single line for a record

Hi, I have a requirement with, No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg hhh" Single column alone got splitted into multiple lines. I require the output as No~Dt~Notes 1~2011/08/1~"aaa<>bbb<>ccc<>ddd<>eee<>fff<>ggg<>hhh" mean to say those new lines to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bhuvaneswari
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Split lines into array - variable line items - variable no of lines.

Hi, I have the following lines that I would like to see in an array for easy comparisons and printing: Example 1: field1,field2,field3,field4,field5 value1,value2,value3,value4,value5Example 2: field1,field3,field4,field2,field5,field6,field7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Join two lines into one, but the second line only the last two columns

Hi guys, I hope you are doing well! I have a file and I need to join two lines into one, but the second line I need only the last two columns. ================= "eHealth Trend Report","logoRpt" "LAN/WAN Group 123" "Divide by Time" "switch1_a-RH-Serial0" "BW: 1.02 M" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: antoniorajr
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to join separate lines in a single one from xml file

Hi all, I need help to parse this xml file that has paragraphs broken in different lines and I would like to join in a single line. I hope you can understand my explanation. Thanks for any help/direction. The script could be in bash, awk, ruby, perl whatever please In the output I want:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
8 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile]... DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such for- matted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.11 9 May 1997 fmt(1)