Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Renaming list of files with version numbers Post 302339520 by try2shell on Thursday 30th of July 2009 05:33:03 PM
Old 07-30-2009
Renaming list of files with version numbers

Hi,
I have a need to rename a list of files with a suffix .v1, .v2, v3 etc. and would like to keep a maximum of 6 versions.

example:
I have abc.sql in my current dir. and as part of a successful completion of another script I want to move abc.sql -> abc.sql.v1.

When I run the original script again, I want to move
abc.sql.v1 -> abc.sql.v2 and the current abc.sql -> abc.sql.v1

The third time...abc.sql.v2 -> abc.sql.v3 and so on....

I would like to keep 6 versions of the files (abc.sql.v6)

Is there an easy way using scripting/awk to achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files with numbers

I have files of the sort dhfmovie1.txt dfhmovie2.txt and want to rename them to dhfmovie01.txt dhfmovie02.txt the files are in a directory with many other files, I only need to do this for files with 1-9 in the name. can anyone help me with the correct sed/mv script? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacat
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing Version Numbers

Hi There! Apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn't find the answer I was hoping for. Basically, all I want to do is compare the OS X version against the version that I require in my script. So I'm retrieving the OS version using defaults read, but how can I compare this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to find filenames with latest version and for all seq. numbers in a day

Hi, We have a requirement to find the set of filenames from the group of files in a specified folder based on (i) version number (ii) sequence number such that, for any given sequence number in a day only the latest version filenames have to indentified. Below is the format of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepakbabu
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove version numbers from package lists

I just upgraded my laptop from Fedora 13 to 14, and normally, before I do the upgrade (Fresh install) I run an rpm command to make a list of all the packages I have installed, but without the version and architectures specified, so that I can just feed that list to yum after the upgrade to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tsuroerusu
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming files or adding a name in the beginning of all files in a folder

Hi All I have a folder that contains hundreds of file with a names 3.msa 4.msa 21.msa 6.msa 345.msa 456.msa 98.msa ... ... ... I need rename each of this file by adding "core_" in the begiining of each file such as core_3.msa core_4.msa core_21.msa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive numbers in version names on a txt file

Hi all. I have a directory which contains files that can be versioned. All the files are named according to a pattern like this: TEXTSTRING1-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING2-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING3-001.EXTENSION ... TEXTSTRINGn-001.EXTENSION If a file is versioned, a file called ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox1212
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripts (Renaming file names with sequential numbers)

Hi there, Firstly, I have no experience with shell scripts so would really appreciate some help. I have the following shell script that is causing some problems: moveit() { && set -x if then DOUBLE_DELIVERY=$(grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebeno
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort version numbers?

I would like to know how to sort version numbers, using bash or perl. I would like to sort file names that are program names with version numbers and extensions, such as hello-0.2.3.tar.gz and hello-0.10.3.tar.gz. Version numbers of computer programs do not comply with the mathematical rule... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming file that has multiple numbers as filename

Hi I have a file with filename as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798" Now i need to move this file as "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.76217657132.9721536798_org" i tried with # ls | grep -E "partition-setup-and-ipl.vtcmd.+"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
MDBTools(1)															       MDBTools(1)

NAME
mdb-sql - SQL interface to MDB Tools SYNOPSIS
mdb-sql [-HFp] [-d delimiter] [-i file] [-o file] [database] DESCRIPTION
mdb-sql is a utility program distributed with MDB Tools. mdb-sql allows querying of an MDB database using a limited SQL subset language. OPTIONS
-H Supress header row. -F Supress footer row. -p Turn off pretty printing. By default results are printed in an ascii table format which looks nice but is not conducive to manipu- lating the output with unix tools. This option prints output plainly in a tab separated format. -d Specify an alternative column delimiter. If no delimiter is specified, columns will be delimited by a tab character if pretty print- ing (-p) is turned off. If pretty printing is enabled this option is meaningless. -i Specify an input file. This option allows an input file containing the SQL to be passed to mdb-sql. See Notes. -o Specify an output file. This option allows the name of an output file to be used instead of stdout. COMMANDS
mdb-sql in interactive mode takes some special commands. connect to <database> If no database was specified on the command line this command is necessary before any querys are issued. It also allows the switch- ing of databases once in the tool. disconnect Will disconnect from the current database. go Each batch is sent to the parser using the 'go' command. reset A batch can be cleared using the 'reset' command. list tables The list tables command will display a list of available tables in this database, similar to the mdb-tables utility on the command line. describe table <table> Will display the column information for the specified table. quit Will exit the tool. SQL LANGUAGE
The currently implemented SQL subset is quite small, supporting only single table queries, no aggregates, and limited support for WHERE clauses. Here is a brief synopsis of the supported language. select: SELECT [* | <column list>] FROM <table> WHERE <where clause> column list: <column> [, <column list>] where clause: <column> <operator> <literal> [AND <where clause>] operator: =, =>, =<, <>, like, <, > literal: integers, floating point numbers, or string literal in single quotes NOTES
When passing a file (-i) or piping output to mdb-sql the final 'go' is optional. This allow constructs like echo "Select * from Table1" | mdb-sql mydb.mdb to work correctly. The -i command can be passed the string 'stdin' to test entering text as if using a pipe. ENVIRONMENT
MDB_JET3_CHARSET Defines the charset of the input JET3 (access 97) file. Default is CP1252. See iconv(1). MDBICONV Defines the output charset. Default is UTF-8. mdbtools must have been compiled with iconv. MDBOPTS semi-column separated list of options: o use_index o no_memo o debug_like o debug_write o debug_usage o debug_ole o debug_row o debug_props o debug_all is a shortcut for all debug_* options HISTORY
mdb-sql first appeared in MDB Tools 0.3. SEE ALSO
gmdb2(1) mdb-export(1) mdb-hexdump(1) mdb-prop(1) mdb-ver(1) mdb-array(1) mdb-header(1) mdb-parsecsv(1) mdb-schema(1) mdb-tables(1) AUTHORS
The mdb-sql utility was written by Brian Bruns. BUGS
The supported SQL syntax is a very limited subset and deficient in several ways. 0.7 13 July 2013 MDBTools(1)