Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Help with head -q option on Mac OS X Post 302339471 by mac_novice on Thursday 30th of July 2009 03:24:02 PM
Old 07-30-2009
Question Help with head -q option on Mac OS X

I am trying to run a csh script (this is usually done on my Linux machine but it died, so I had to resort to a Mac Smilie) and I received the following error message:

head: illegal option --q

My script takes multiple files as the input, concatenates them and produces a single file as the output. The line that is giving me issues is listed below:

head -1 -q input*.txt > output.txt

If I remove the -q option, it does still work; however, it is adding the name of each, individual file to output.txt.

From what I have read, OS X does not support the quiet or silent (-q)option. Does anyone know of another option that would give me the same result? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

option followed by : taking next option if argument missing with getopts

Hi all, I am parsing command line options using getopts. The problem is that mandatory argument options following ":" is taking next option as argument if it is not followed by any argument. Below is the script: while getopts :hd:t:s:l:p:f: opt do case "$opt" in -h|-\?)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

recently introduced to the newer option for find...does an older option exist?

To find all the files in your home directory that have been edited in some way since the last tar file, use this command: find . -newer backup.tar.gz Is anyone familiar with an older solution? looking to identify files older then 15mins across several directories. thanks, manny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Unrecognized option: sparc-sun-Solaris2.10/bin/as: unrecognized option `-m32'

Hi, I installed some packages required by an app built with python. But when I try python setup.py install, I get the following error: /opt/csw/lib/gcc/sparc-sun-solaris2.10/5.2.0/../../../../sparc-sun-solaris2.10/bin/as: unrecognized option `-m32' Could anyone tell me what's wrong... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimkun
4 Replies
head(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   head(1)

NAME
head - give first few lines SYNOPSIS
count] [file ...] Obsolescent: [file ...] DESCRIPTION
prints on standard output the first count lines of each of the specified files, or of the standard input. If count is omitted it defaults to 10. If multiple files are specified, outputs before each file a line of this form: file Options The quantity of output is measured in bytes. The number of units of output. This option is provided for backward compatibility (see below) and is mutually exclusive of all other options. The quantity of output is measured in lines; this is the default. The number of lines (default) or bytes output. count is an unsigned decimal integer. If (or is not given, the default quantity is 10. This option provides the same func- tionality as the option, but in a more standard way. Use of the option is recommended where portability between systems is important. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text within file as single and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
The length of the input lines is limited to bytes. SEE ALSO
tail(1), cat(1), more(1), pg(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
head(1)