Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: finding correct directories
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting finding correct directories Post 302338954 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 29th of July 2009 10:41:47 AM
Old 07-29-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjasai
I have directories like V00R01,V00R02,V01R01,V01R02 in a directory
where V is version and R is a release. basically I need to set base directory and current directory. Under a version there can be any number of releases and there can be number of versions also.
V00R01...V00R50..so on
also,
V00R01...V00R50.. V01R01..V01R50 ...

Case 1: V00R30 and V00R31, V00R32.. in this case.. i have to set base to V00R31 and current to V00R32. (latest directory as current and previous one as base)

Code:
set -- V*R*
shift $(( $# - 2 ))
base=$1
current=$2

Quote:
Case 2: There can be more versions .. like V00R30, V00R31, V00R32 and
V01R01, V01R02,V01R03.. then in this case.. i need to set base to V00R32 and Current directory to V01R03. (here also latest of V01 to current and latest of V00 to base)

Code:
set -- V00R*
shift $(( $# - 1 ))
base=$1
set -- V01R*
shift $(( $# - 1 ))
current=$1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding directories in UNIX

I am accessing a UNIX server via FTP. I want to retieve a file in a directory. What is the UNIX command that I need to view and retrieve files from a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yodaddy
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing the correct directories

Hi all, my directory structure is as follows /a/b/c. I would like to tar the /a directory including the subdirectories b and c. i intend to use the command tar -cvfz a.tgz a/ My question is where do i execute the command? do i execute it at the '/' prompt or at '/a' prompt ? My concern at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding largest files (not directories)?

hello all. i would like to be able to find the names of all files on a remote machine using ssh. i only want the names of files, not directories so far i'm stuck at "du -a | sort -n" also, is it possible to write them to a file on my machine? i know how to write it to a file on that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: user19190989
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Help with finding correct log files

Lets say i have files like the following format :- R0001.log R0002.log ... ... R00011.log upto R000n.log, there are also a lot of text files with different names now how can i find these files with in a range, i can do "ls R000*.log" and it will show me all the R000*.log files but what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oopsalion
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding size of all directories

Alright so I've tried a couple different things that at first glance, looked like they worked. find . -maxdepth 5 -type d -daystart -mtime 1 | xargs du -h Which seems to ignore the previous commands such as depth and modified time. find .. -maxdepth 2 -type d -daystart -ctime 1 | xargs... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
8 Replies

7. HP-UX

Finding the correct LUN

I am using hp ux 11.31 Our SAN storage is being presented from an IBM XIV. We have 3 HP servers (rx4640's), and the XIV has them setup in a cluster, so that when a disk is presented all 3 servers can see the new LUN. I'm setting up a new VM on one of the HP servers. I have allocated a 34Gb... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xtoverus1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding multiply directories

I have multiply directories scattered throughout my system that end in 2011. Example: one_2011 two_2011 three_2011 etc.... I'm trying to find all of these directories but coming up short. I tried find / -type d -name *2011 > example Any suggestions? I already searched in the... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help for finding correct delimiter

I've a series of words in the format "abc0001d" till "abc1999d". I would like to use delimiter to cut the word from abc0001s to two words: abc00 and 01d. Help me in finding the correct delimiter to cut in desired way. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: surdileep
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding directories with expression

Hi All, I need your help in finding pattern of directories. need to search for all pattern have "mypatern" from base directory folder. example ------- server1 - base directory 100 server1/ab_123456_1/mypattern 100 server1/ab_123456_2/mypattern 200 server1/ab_123457_1/mypattern... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
13 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)