Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix Post 302338763 by beemergeek on Tuesday 28th of July 2009 09:47:46 PM
Old 07-28-2009
What errors do you see from the crash? That would help to identify why the server is encountering problems...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying a large filesystem

Hi there In my organisation we have a solaris network with /home being automounted from /export/home on a central file server (usual stuff) however, the guy who originally set this up only allocated 3gb to /export/home and now we are really struggling for space. I have a new 18gb disk installed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Strange difference in file size when copying LARGE file..

Hi, Im trying to take a database backup. one of the files is 26 GB. I am using cp -pr to create a backup copy of the database. after the copying is complete, if i do du -hrs on the folders i saw a difference of 2GB. The weird fact is that the BACKUP folder was 2 GB more than the original one! ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 0ktalmagik
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SVR4 UNIX questions

Hi My main problem is trying to reset the password on an ancient (but still live) server. I have booted from floppy into maintenance mode, but it won't allow me to mount /. I'm using mount -F vxfs /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1 /mnt and I get an error message along the lines of "operation not applicable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sweetleaf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large file problem

I have a large file, around 570 gb that I want to copy to tape. However, my tape drive will load only up to 500 gb. I don't have enough space on disk to compress it before copying to tape. Can I compress and tar to tape in one command without writing a compressed disk file? Any suggestions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iancrozier
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying of large files fail

Hi, I have a process which duplicates files for different environments. As the files arrive, my script (korn shell) makes copies of them (giving a unique name) and then renames the original file so that my process won't get triggered again. I don't like it either, but it's what we were told to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenEye4ever
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Large File

I have a large file that I append entries to the end of every few seconds. Its grown to >150MB. Its basically a log file but a perl script is writing to it. I need to make a copy of it to a new directory. I realize the latest entries occuring while the copy is taking place will not be recorded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lforum
1 Replies

7. Hardware

Upgrading antique Unisys U6000 / UNIX SVR4 1.2?

I have an old Unisys U6000/65 server I obtained as surplus about 12 years ago. For its day (1993) this server line was capable of insane ability, up to 4 gig of memory using dozens of 30-pin SIMMs and up to six processors, including mixed processor speeds and types (486/Pentium) in the same... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMahalko
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start copying large file while its still being restored from tape

Hello, I need to copy a 700GB tape-image file over a network. I want to start the copy process before the tape-image has finished being restored from the tape. The tape restore speed is about 78 Mbps and the file transfer speed over the network is about 45 Mbps I don't want to use a pipe, since... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamik
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying number by looking a large file

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: abc 34.32 cdf 343.45 computer 1.34 ladder 2.3422 I have some 100000 .TXT files which look like this: computer cdf align I have to open each of the text files and read the words from the text files. Then I have to look into that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem copying files from windows to unix

Hello, I want some directions for a command inside a shell script which would copy files from some path on my windows os (say my documents) to the path where my shell script is saved and I want it to exit the sftp session and continue executing the remaining lines in my shell script after... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishwa308
2 Replies
statd(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 statd(1M)

NAME
statd - network status monitor SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nfs/statd DESCRIPTION
statd is an intermediate version of the status monitor. It interacts with lockd(1M) to provide the crash and recovery functions for the locking services on NFS. statd keeps track of the clients with processes which hold locks on a server. When the server reboots after a crash, statd sends a message to the statd on each client indicating that the server has rebooted. The client statd processes then inform the lockd on the client that the server has rebooted. The client lockd then attempts to reclaim the lock(s) from the server. statd on the client host also informs the statd on the server(s) holding locks for the client when the client has rebooted. In this case, the statd on the server informs its lockd that all locks held by the rebooting client should be released, allowing other processes to lock those files. lockd is started by automountd(1M), mount_nfs(1M), and share(1M) if NFS automounts are needed. FILES
/var/statmon/sm lists hosts and network addresses to be contacted after a reboot /var/statmon/sm.bak lists hosts and network addresses that could not be contacted after last reboot /var/statmon/state includes a number which changes during a reboot /usr/include/rpcsvc/sm_inter.x contains the rpcgen source code for the interface services provided by the statd daemon. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfscu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), automountd(1M), lockd(1M), mount_nfs(1M), share(1M), svcadm(1M), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The crash of a server is only detected upon its recovery. The statd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/nfs/status Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. If it is disabled, it will be enabled by mount_nfs(1M), share_nfs(1M), and automountd(1M) unless its application/auto_enable prop- erty is set to false. SunOS 5.11 18 Nov 2004 statd(1M)