Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting untar special requirement query Post 302338283 by sureshg_sampat on Monday 27th of July 2009 12:13:11 PM
Old 07-27-2009
untar special requirement query

Dear friends,

Assume a tar file has been created using 100 files [E.g A.txt, B.txt....Z.txt]

If I want to untar the file and get only Z.txt upon untar , how do I do this

Please advice

Regards,
Suresh

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

untar to a specified file

I have file1.tar and want to untar it under /server/file2. If I do tar -xvf file1.tar, the files will be deployed under file1. How to specify the destination folder?? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

untar

i have try to untar the file in same location. But it gave the error # tar -xvf TSMSRVAIX5220.tar x tivoli.tsm.devices.acsls, 757760 bytes, 1480 media blocks. tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 4011 not equal to 8222. How can i rectify this prob. Thanks in advance ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash96453
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Untar remotely

I need to upload tar or zip files to a unix server than unzip or untar them remotely. Any suggestions on the easiest way to do the remote untar or unzip? For example does someone know of a cgi script or something? Thanks -jz (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwzumwalt
3 Replies

4. AIX

untar

Hi, How can i untar a set of files in to different directory. This is content tar -tvf samba.tar drwxrwxrwx 0 0 0 Nov 28 18:35:41 2008 samba/ -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/b.txt -rw-r--r-- 0 0 0 Nov 18 15:12:40 2008 samba/c.txt -rw-r--r-- 0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: allwin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cp, chown, untar

hello i want shell script. i have a source.txt /home/user409/public_html/test/ /home/user09876/public_html/xdsss/ /home/user9765/public_html/320xxx/ . . . maybe 1000 lines i want . 1.read a source.txt 2.untar special.tar.gz into these directory in source.txt 3.i want to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: topic32428285
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Requirement

I am trying to script and came up with a conclusion that I need a do while loop in my statement. I am stuck with the do while syntax. I need to use it alongwith the if then else statement. Can I use it is a big question? I actually need to get all the files that are there from within run_dt to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aronmelon
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Query Oracle tables and return values to shell script that calls the query

Hi, I have a requirement as below which needs to be done viz UNIX shell script (1) I have to connect to an Oracle database (2) Exexute "SELECT field_status from table 1" query on one of the tables. (3) Based on the result that I get from point (2), I have to update another table in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaeswari
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to execute Oracle query taking input from a file to form query

Hi, I need to query Oracle database for 100 users. I have these 100 users in a file. I need a shell script which would read this User file (one user at a time) & query database. For instance: USER CITY --------- ---------- A CITY_A B CITY_B C ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DevendraG
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to Untar

Hello, bash-2.05# tar -xvf sunos.tar tar: directory checksum error bash-2.05# file sunos.tar sunos.tar: data bash-2.05# Can someone please help me untar this. This is a Solaris 9 box. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigi_p5
5 Replies
PHARDATA.EXTRACTTO(3)							 1						     PHARDATA.EXTRACTTO(3)

PharData::extractTo - Extract the contents of a tar/zip archive to a directory

SYNOPSIS
bool PharData::extractTo (string $pathto, [string|array $files], [bool $overwrite = false]) DESCRIPTION
Extract all files within a tar/zip archive to disk. Extracted files and directories preserve permissions as stored in the archive. The optional parameters allow optional control over which files are extracted, and whether existing files on disk can be overwritten. The sec- ond parameter files can be either the name of a file or directory to extract, or an array of names of files and directories to extract. By default, this method will not overwrite existing files, the third parameter can be set to true to enable overwriting of files. This method is similar to ZipArchive.extractTo(3). PARAMETERS
o $pathto - Path to extract the given files to o $files - The name of a file or directory to extract, or an array of files/directories to extract o $overwrite - Set to TRUE to enable overwriting existing files RETURN VALUES
returns TRUE on success, but it is better to check for thrown exception, and assume success if none is thrown. ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Throws PharException if errors occur while flushing changes to disk. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A PharData.extractTo(3) example <?php try { $phar = new PharData('myphar.tar'); $phar->extractTo('/full/path'); // extract all files $phar->extractTo('/another/path', 'file.txt'); // extract only file.txt $phar->extractTo('/this/path', array('file1.txt', 'file2.txt')); // extract 2 files only $phar->extractTo('/third/path', null, true); // extract all files, and overwrite } catch (Exception $e) { // handle errors } ?> SEE ALSO
Phar.extractTo(3). PHP Documentation Group PHARDATA.EXTRACTTO(3)