Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Understanding Statements in Script Post 302338074 by angad.makkar on Monday 27th of July 2009 04:45:09 AM
Old 07-27-2009
Code:
1. while read  line
2. do
3. x=`echo $line | cut -d "," -f4`
4. cd $x
5. plant=`echo $line | grep $x  | cut -d "," -f1 | head -1 `
6. done < $master_file

the 3rd line does the following:
echo $line -> Display the line
The displayed line is passed to a PIPE "|". This pipe streams the bytes from the echo command to the cut command.
Hence, the cut command cuts the 4th Field seperated by a delimter ','.
This is equivalent to:
Say your Line is "Name,Age,City,Country,Pincode"
Hence,
echo $line | cut -d "," -f4
=> echo "Name,Age,City,Country,Pincode" | cut -d "," -f4
=> Country
As Country is the 4th Field separated by a comma.

Similarly, the 5th Line:
plant=`echo $line | grep $x | cut -d "," -f1 | head -1
Here we are executing 4 commands using 3 pipes...the output of the left command being passed onto the right as an input.

echo $line (Display a line) -> grep $x (Find a character in this line) -> cut -d "," -f1 (Cut the 1st field from this line seperated by a comma) -> Give the First line from this output.

Please note that as per your script $x = the output of inital command which I am assuming is a directory name.

Hope this helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running remote shell script containing sql statements

I have a shell script which resides on three SCO machines containing some simple sqlplus statments. I need to run these scripts remotely. Currently, I am trying to use rsh to do so: rsh hostname myscript args The problem is that the arguments to the sqlplus statements in the remote shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Madbreaks
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python script - control flow statements

Hi guys.I'm just beginner of python. I'm just trying to do some analysis on simple input file. it has 6 columns and i want to consider k,l and m,n if i and j are + after that checking which value is greater or lower in k,l and m,n I have included logic header just to explain what I was... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looping through a shell script with sql statements

Hello members, I'm working on the Solaris environment and the DB i'm using is Oracle 10g. Skeleton of what I'm attempting; Write a ksh script to perform the following. I have no idea how to include my sql query within a shell script and loop through the statements. Have therefore given a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice82
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple if statements in script and unexpected end of file

Two things... 1) If I have an if statement that is true I want it to exit without running the rest of the file, but if it is false I want it to continue.. I just did if ; then exit else echo "" fi Can that work? I want it to exit if $1 is 0, and if not to continue running the rest of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding this script.

Can someone explain what is happening line by line in this script, particularly after the do statement. The script works, it renames all the files in my directory that has a date in the file name. But I would like to know more about it. #!/bin/bash newdate=12-10-1995 for file in *--* do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can we use two shebang statements in a single shell script?

Hi, As per my understanding, we can use two shebang statements in a single shell script. Please see below snippet- #!/bin/bash .......## some code A #!/bin/csh .......## some code B exit 0; Here, code A will be executed using bash shell and code B will be executed with c shell. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunmudgal4u
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplified awk script for if else statements

Hi, The below awk script that i did is working fine. It gives me the results that i want. But, the script is not smart and very long as i have 8 conditions to meet. The sample script below only show 2 conditions. awk 'BEGIN{FS=OFS=" ~ |\t"} {if (($7>$9) && ($6>$8)){ Ql= $7-$6; Sl=... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help understanding the script

Could someone please help me in understanding the code below: #!/usr/bin/ksh Month=`date|cut -c5-7` Day=`date|cut -c9-10` Year=`date|cut -c27-28` Rom2Jul() { case $Month in Feb) Day=$(( $Day+31 ));; Mar) Day=$((... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasn318
27 Replies

9. Programming

Shell script - if statements dont work

hi all, i have made a shell script and it runs until it reaches the if statement, doesn't the ! mean only if the command fails it will echo me that message and then exit can anyone please help me what is wrong with my code? many thanks, rob #!/bin/bash echo "is this archive... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple expect/send statements not working in shell script

Hi I am trying the following in my bash script which logs into my machine and runs a command. Trying to solve this using expect. The first expect statement is hit and it enters the address "10.10.0.10" but when the second expect statement is hit it exits #!/bin/bash expect -c ' spawn... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skorada
2 Replies
CUT(1)							      General Commands Manual							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - select out columns of a file SYNOPSIS
cut [ -b | -c] list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [ -s] OPTIONS
-b Cut specified bytes -c Select out specific characters -d Change the column delimiter to delim -f Select out specific fields that are separated by the -i Runs of delimiters count as one -s Suppres lines with no delimiter characters, when used EXAMPLES
cut -f 2 file # Extract field 2 cut -c 1-2,5 file # Extract character columns 1, 2, and 5 cut -c 1-5,7- file # Extract all columns except 6 DESCRIPTION
[file...]" delimiter character ( see delim)" with the -f option. Lines with no delimiters are passwd through untouched" Cut extracts one or more fields or columns from a file and writes them on standard output. If the -f flag is used, the fields are sepa- rated by a delimiter character, normally a tab, but can be changed using the -d flag. If the -c flag is used, specific columns can be specified. The list can be comma or BLANK separated. The -f and -c flags are mutually exclusive. Note: The POSIX1003.2 standard requires the option -b to cut out specific bytes in a file. It is intended for systems with multi byte characters (e.g. kanji), since MINIX uses only one byte characters, this option is equivalent to -c. For the same reason, the option -n has no effect and is not listed in this man- ual page. SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(9). CUT(1)