Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: calculations in bash
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting calculations in bash Post 302337780 by kvok on Saturday 25th of July 2009 06:10:31 AM
Old 07-25-2009
calculations in bash

HI

i have following problem,
i need to use split command to split files each should be cca 700 lines but i dont know how to inplement it in the scripts becasuse each time the origin file will be various size ,
any body got any idea

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-integer calculations in bash

I'm new at scripting but I thought I was getting pretty good at it. I've hit a snag. I try to use expr to compute a fraction say: expr 3 / 4, and I'm getting zero. I guess it's just truncating to the integer, in this case 0, but I need the decimal 0.75. What can I do to compute this value in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time Calculations

I'm trying to have a loop print out statistics every X number of seconds. How can I add a specific number of seconds to a time variable and make a comparison? Thanks ahead of time. For example: startTime = `date +%H%M%S` currentTime = $startTime executeTime = startTime + X # X is equal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh, calculations using bc

hi all, was wondering if there is another way to do calculations in ksh scripts other than using bc ?? i am using a script to calculate average response time and my script errors out after running for a bit. e.g code i am using : averageTime=$(print "$totalTime / $numberOfEntries" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

any way to speed up calculations in bash script

hi i have a script that is taking the difference of multiple columns in a file from a value from a single row..so far i have a loop to do that.. all the data is floating point..fin has the difference between array1 and array2..array1 has 700 x 300= 210000 values and array2 has 700 values.. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date Calculations

I need to be able to use the current date and calculate 7 days ago to be stored in another variable to be passed to a file in my Unix shell script. I need the date in the following format: date '+%m/%d/%Y' or 05/16/2006 How do I calculate date minus 7 days or 1 week ago? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitschcg
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script range calculations

Hi, I have data in the following form: AB001 10 AB002 9 AB003 9 etc AB200 5 What I need to do is sum up the second value according to groups of the first, i.e. AB001 to AB030 the total being X, AB031 to AB050 the total being Y etc (there are 5 AB ranges of different sizes). I'm sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrissycc
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doing calculations with bc on one field

Hello, I have to turn: Apple Inc.:325,64:329,57 into Apple Inc.:325,64:329,57:3,93 3,93=329,57-325,64. My code: cat beurs.txt | sed 's/\(*\):\(*\),*\(*\):\(*\),\(*\)/\4\.\5-\2\.\3/' beurs.txt | bc| tr '.' ',' | sed 's/^-*,/0,/' > winstmarges.txt; paste -d: beurs.txt winstmarges.txt; rm... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikke008
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with calculations

grep Quality abc.txt | awk -F"=" '{print $2}' o/p is given as 70/70 49/70 I want in the below format (percentage format) 100% 70% help me!!!!:confused::confused::confused: ---------- Post updated at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:57 AM ---------- Cell 01 -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Arithmetic calculations in bash file

I have 2 numbers xmin = 0.369000018 xmax = 0.569000006 and want to calculate (xmax- xmin) / 5.0 I have tried using $(( )) but is always giving an error (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Loop doing calculations

Hello. I'm writing an awk script that looks at a .csv file and calculates the weighted grade for each student based on the scores and categories in the file. I am able to get the script to run the only issue however is that the same score for each student is the same. I'm self-teaching myself the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
split(1)							   User Commands							  split(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [-linecount | -l linecount] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] split [-b n | nk | nm] [-a suffixlength] [file [name]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads file and writes it in linecount-line pieces into a set of output-files. The name of the first output-file is name with aa appended, and so on lexicographically, up to zz (a maximum of 676 files). The maximum length of name is 2 characters less than the maximum filename length allowed by the filesystem. See statvfs(2). If no output name is given, x is used as the default (output-files will be called xaa, xab, and so forth). OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -linecount | -l linecount Number of lines in each piece. Defaults to 1000 lines. -a suffixlength Uses suffixlength letters to form the suffix portion of the filenames of the split file. If -a is not specified, the default suffix length is 2. If the sum of the name operand and the suffixlength option-argument would create a filename exceeding NAME_MAX bytes, an error will result; split will exit with a diagnostic message and no files will be created. -b n Splits a file into pieces n bytes in size. -b nk Splits a file into pieces n*1024 bytes in size. -b nm Splits a file into pieces n*1048576 bytes in size. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of the ordinary file to be split. If no input file is given or file is -, the standard input will be used. name The prefix to be used for each of the files resulting from the split operation. If no name argument is given, x will be used as the prefix of the output files. The combined length of the basename of prefix and suffixlength cannot exceed NAME_MAX bytes. See OPTIONS. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of split when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of split: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Standard |See standards(5). | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csplit(1), statvfs(2), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 16 Apr 1999 split(1)