Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Unable to take backup of /var on another disk !! Post 302336955 by kumarmani on Thursday 23rd of July 2009 07:19:49 AM
Old 07-23-2009
Unable to take backup of /var on another disk !!

Hi Gurus,

I have to back the /var to other disk, however I am unable to do so. What I did is

Created a partition on another disk, placed file system on the slice and mounted on /mnt .

Issued following command

#ufsdump 0cfu /mnt /var

And I am getting below error

DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Cannot open `host5:/mnt'. Do you want to retry the open?: ("yes" or "no") yes

Still no luck

Please help
-------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry Gurus !!! i was missing the dump file name . Resolved . Thanks

Last edited by kumarmani; 07-23-2009 at 08:26 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Staging a backup DISK

Hi, Experts ! I've met a following challenge: I have a unix machine, and I need to take a backup of its disk in order to use it for staging of the next machine in the future. But I try to find some information on how it is best to do it. The spare disk which I have is new and not formatted,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DGoubine
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup disk to disk to tape question

Hi all I had started to learn how to backup disk to disk to tape method Firstly I had backup to my NAS tar czvf /MyNetworkStorge/backup.tar /home Secondly I using dd command to copy the tar to tape dd if=/MyNetworkStorge/backup.tar of=/dev/tape0 But the tape drive always hang.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijiajin
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Disk problem? from /var/adm/messages

Hi all, I got the following error message from solaris 10 system. Security Violations =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jun 1 01:48:21 unix009 scsi: ASC: 0x44 (internal target failure), ASCQ: 0x0, FRU: 0xbc The following are from /var/adm/messages Jun 1 01:48:21 unix009 scsi: WARNING:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
7 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Unable to mount disk

I am running Ubuntu Server, I recently added a new hard drive to the machine When I run fdisk -l I see both drives. The recently added drive is present but it's listed as extended. when I try to mount the drive it says you must specify the file system type. I can't mount this drive, I was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
2 Replies

5. Solaris

backup the whole system to a usb disk.

Hi dears, i´m working with a sun sparc server(M4000) , solaris 10 installed. I need a little help, because i wanna know if is it possible to backup the whole system in a usb disk. I´m gonna explain you a little more why i want to do it. Currently i have installed a Solaris 10 working with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: botella
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

Unable to detect HP backup tapes in RHEL 6.2

Hi All, We connected 2 new tape drives to the servers. I am not able to see both HP tape drives in OS level. I am using RHEL 6.2 OS. I have scanned and rebooted the server but still can't able to find the drives. Thanks in advance..!!!! ---------- Post updated 10-22-13 at 05:07 PM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Backup Disk

I have a backup script. Before it runs it need to check the backup disk is connected. It usually mounts to /Volumes/Files_Bakup_1 I wrote a bit of script to do the check but it has failed me. if ! cd /Volumes/Files_Backup_1 then echo "could not connect to external hard drive"; ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Whole disk backup in Solaris 11

Hello! I have an Oracle server X5-2 with Solaris 11. Now, this server will get repurposed before I get a system of my own. I am a beginner...but is there a way I can make a backup or an image of my whole disk so when I get my own system I can just restore without having to reinstall software... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipsandiscream
1 Replies

9. Solaris

How to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control?

I need to increase the /var (UFS) filesystem and root disk under veritas control or root disk is encapsulated # df -k /var Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/vx/dsk/var 13241195 12475897 674524 96% /var # fstyp /dev/vx/dsk/var ufs # pkginfo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amity
1 Replies
installgrub(1M) 														   installgrub(1M)

NAME
installgrub - install GRUB in a disk partition or a floppy SYNOPSIS
/sbin/installgrub [-fm] stage1 stage2 raw-device The installgrub command is an -only program. GRUB stands for GRand Unified Bootloader. installgrub installs GRUB stage 1 and stage 2 files on the boot area of a disk partition. If you specify the -m option, installgrub installs the stage 1 file on the master boot sector of the disk. The installgrub command accepts the following options: -f Suppresses interaction when overwriting the master boot sector. -m Installs GRUB stage1 on the master boot sector interactively. The installgrub command accepts the following operands: stage1 The name of the GRUB stage 1 file. stage2 The name of the GRUB stage 2 file. raw-device The name of the device onto which GRUB code is to be installed. It must be a character device that is readable and writable. For disk devices, specify the slice where the GRUB menu file is located. (For Solaris it is the root slice.) For a floppy disk, it is /dev/rdiskette. Example 1: Installing GRUB on a Hard Disk Slice The following command installs GRUB on a system where the root slice is c0d0s0: example# /sbin/installgrub /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 Example 2: Installing GRUB on a Floppy The following command installs GRUB on a formatted floppy: example# mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /mnt # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub # cp /boot/grub/* /mnt/boot/grub # umount /mnt # cd /boot/grub # /sbin/installgrub stage1 stage2 /dev/rdiskette /boot/grub Directory where GRUB files reside. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ boot(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), kernel(1M), attributes(5) Installing GRUB on the master boot sector (-m option) overrides any boot manager currently installed on the machine. The system will always boot the GRUB in the Solaris partition regardless of which fdisk partition is active. 24 May 2005 installgrub(1M)