Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: String manipulation for PID
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting String manipulation for PID Post 302336776 by danmero on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 08:25:31 PM
Old 07-22-2009
Look for pgrep and pkill manual

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

Hello, I have a korn shell string variable str1 = "A,B,Z" I would like to create another korn shell string variable str2 = "letter = 'A' or letter = 'B' or letter = 'Z' " Please help! Thanks in advance an UNIX newbie! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: hai1973
13 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

String manipulation

I am doing some training for a job I have just got and there is an exercise I am stuck with. I am not posting to ask a question about logic, just a trivial help with string manipulation. I would appreciate if somebody could at least give me a hint on how to do it. Basically, the intelligent part... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dantastik
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi, I have the string like this ". Start : 06:53:11 - MON JUL 05, 2010" I need to print the part "06:53:11 - MON JUL 05, 2010" How i can do this? Thanks, Lenova (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lenova2010
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

if I have two string variable, how do I add one to anther. like a= "a" b="b" c=$a+$b but that doesn't work. Is there anyway to solve it.http://www.qtl.co.il/img/copy.pnghttp://www.google.com/favicon.icohttp://www.babylon.com/favicon.icohttp://www.morfix.com/favicon.ico (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Manipulation

Hi, I have a file in the following format 123|shanwer|15DEC2010|bgbh|okok|16JAN3000|okok| I want the following to be in following format 123|shanwer|12\15\2010|bgbh|okok|01\16\3000|okok| SED/PERL/AWK Gurus could you please help me with this? Thanks Shankar (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shan2210
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Manipulation

Write a shell program to display the position of the right - most character in a given input string. Example : Input : RAHUL Output : L is in the 5th position also tell me how to count length of string and how to find the position of specific character in left most side. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashwat2691
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

String Manipulation

Write a shell program to display the position of the right - most character in a given input string. Example : Input : RAHUL Output : L is in the 5th position also tell me how to count length of string and how to find the position of specific character in left most side. Homework... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashwat2691
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

string manipulation

Hi, I have the followoing details in one file: opt/tra/domain/test/new/filename1 training/ear/help I need to manipulate the string in the following manner: filename1= opt/tra/domain/test/new/filename1 help=training/ear/help last string is the name and equal sign and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting part of a string : string manipulation

i have something like this... echo "teCertificateId" | awk -F'Id' '{ print $1 }' | awk -F'te' '{ print $2 }' Certifica the awk should remove 'te' only if it is present at the start of the string.. anywhere else it should ignore it. expected output is Certificate (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String manipulation

Hi , I am getting a string like aaa,bbb,sdsdad,sdfsdf,sdfsdfdsf,rtyrtyr,45654654,ddfdfdfgdfg,dfgdfgdg........... Now what I need is to format it. So after each nth comma I need one newline. So the above will look like when n=3 aaa,bbb,sdsdad, sdfsdf,sdfsdfdsf,rtyrtyr,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
4 Replies
PGREP(1)							Linux User's Manual							  PGREP(1)

NAME
pgrep, pkill - look up or signal processes based on name and other attributes SYNOPSIS
pgrep [-cflvx] [-d delimiter] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] pkill [-signal] [-fvx] [-n|-o] [-P ppid,...] [-g pgrp,...] [-s sid,...] [-u euid,...] [-U uid,...] [-G gid,...] [-t term,...] [pattern] DESCRIPTION
pgrep looks through the currently running processes and lists the process IDs which matches the selection criteria to stdout. All the cri- teria have to match. For example, pgrep -u root sshd will only list the processes called sshd AND owned by root. On the other hand, pgrep -u root,daemon will list the processes owned by root OR daemon. pkill will send the specified signal (by default SIGTERM) to each process instead of listing them on stdout. OPTIONS
-c Suppress normal output; instead print a count of matching processes. -d delimiter Sets the string used to delimit each process ID in the output (by default a newline). (pgrep only.) -f The pattern is normally only matched against the process name. When -f is set, the full command line is used. -g pgrp,... Only match processes in the process group IDs listed. Process group 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own process group. -G gid,... Only match processes whose real group ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -l List the process name as well as the process ID. (pgrep only.) -n Select only the newest (most recently started) of the matching processes. -o Select only the oldest (least recently started) of the matching processes. -P ppid,... Only match processes whose parent process ID is listed. -s sid,... Only match processes whose process session ID is listed. Session ID 0 is translated into pgrep's or pkill's own session ID. -t term,... Only match processes whose controlling terminal is listed. The terminal name should be specified without the "/dev/" prefix. -u euid,... Only match processes whose effective user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -U uid,... Only match processes whose real user ID is listed. Either the numerical or symbolical value may be used. -v Negates the matching. -x Only match processes whose name (or command line if -f is specified) exactly match the pattern. -signal Defines the signal to send to each matched process. Either the numeric or the symbolic signal name can be used. (pkill only.) OPERANDS
pattern Specifies an Extended Regular Expression for matching against the process names or command lines. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Find the process ID of the named daemon: unix$ pgrep -u root named Example 2: Make syslog reread its configuration file: unix$ pkill -HUP syslogd Example 3: Give detailed information on all xterm processes: unix$ ps -fp $(pgrep -d, -x xterm) Example 4: Make all netscape processes run nicer: unix$ renice +4 `pgrep netscape` EXIT STATUS
0 One or more processes matched the criteria. 1 No processes matched. 2 Syntax error in the command line. 3 Fatal error: out of memory etc. NOTES
The process name used for matching is limited to the 15 characters present in the output of /proc/pid/stat. Use the -f option to match against the complete command line, /proc/pid/cmdline. The running pgrep or pkill process will never report itself as a match. BUGS
The options -n and -o and -v can not be combined. Let me know if you need to do this. Defunct processes are reported. SEE ALSO
ps(1) regex(7) signal(7) killall(1) skill(1) kill(1) kill(2) STANDARDS
pkill and pgrep were introduced in Sun's Solaris 7. This implementation is fully compatible. AUTHOR
Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> Albert Cahalan <albert@users.sf.net> is the current maintainer of the procps package. Please send bug reports to <procps-feedback@lists.sf.net> Linux June 25, 2000 PGREP(1)