Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dumb gnome terminal question. Post 302336689 by nitin on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 03:21:44 PM
Old 07-22-2009
I'm guessing it's your .profile or .bash_profile which you can setup and execute when you open a terminal like this:
Code:
user@linux:~> . ~/.profile

HTH,
Nitin Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumb question

My problem is as follows: I have to write a korn shell script which will run mutiple java applications one after one. For example, I will execute the java application A first, after it is done I will run application B. My question is how do I do this? How does my korn shell script know that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhab99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb question...

ok i decided to go with Mandrake so i went to the site to download it and that took me to a mirror site. ok. so once i get there were can i find the install file(s) that i need? i only see a series of folder and files. the ones that say intall are instructions but i don't see the files themselves.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok really dumb question but...

Does anyone have detailed info on how to download the files. I go to www.freebsd.com and then i dont know what to do. I dont know why i dont know but im drawing a complete blank so is there anyone that can provide a step by step procedure for downloading/installing Linux? :confused: :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question...

Probably a really easy one for you guru's out there...:rolleyes: I need to make sure the reverse address lookup daemon in rarpd, is running. How do I do so? :confused: Did a grep for the process but couldnt find it, also looked in all the normal places, /bin etc... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with gnome-terminal

Hello everyone. This is my first post.:o Using Ubuntu 8.04 and bash 3.2.39 i'm trying to adapt my routine to this platform. So, this means forget xterm and use gnome-terminal (as default ubuntu terminal). EveryDay i need to connect to several servers, and i've made a Tcl'script to make this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question but...

When getting a listing of files using "ls -l", my output shows the permissions, #oflinks???, owner, group, size, month-day-time, and file. In the example below, how would I know what year the file was last modified? -rw-rw-r--, 28, root, root, 2048, Oct 28 15:10, somefile.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KGee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

this is a very dumb question...i know... :(

hi, when we do an "ls -l" on a directory, we get the listing of the contents of that dir... what is the meaning of some numbers...example in ; -rw-r--r-- 1 idr supp 0 Feb 18 19:41 dmesg drwxrwsrwx 2 root sys 96 Dec 27 15:31 test09 drwxr-xr-x 3 bin ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gnome-terminal questions

I have a couple questions regarding gnome-terminal. Basically I am trying to write an alias that will bring up several gnome-terminals that navigate to certain directories and run certain commands. I have it pretty well figured out, but the one I am having a problem with is simply running a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tennesseej
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with gnome terminal

Hi, I cant get this command to run in a new gnome terminal cd "$PRG" && gnome-terminal -x sh -c './prg -r testcommand' &>/dev/null & i can run just ./prg -r testcommand and it runs fine but in the command above it only runs ./prg Any ideas community Cheers in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
0 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)