Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers trying to grep the first few lines of a continuos script, and exit the script anyidea Post 302336602 by k00061804 on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 12:13:27 PM
Old 07-22-2009
Hi drewrockshard.

Your logic describes exactly what i should do to get the desired output.

It looks like when i find the pattern i am looking for in the log file. i should kill the process id of script x as you say,it seems to be the correct way to do this.

The way i was trying to do it was not to log the output of script x to a log, but run the script, wait till i get the pattern i was looking for and kill off the script someway. But you logic seems better

Thanks for the help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit from script

I have a shell script with options, one of which should exit the system (logout), however when I select this option it drops down to shell, is there a command other than exit that will close the session completely ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gefa
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Help] PERL Script - grep multiple lines

Hi Gurus, I need some help with the "grep" command or whatever command that you think suitable for me. I'm about to write a perl script to extract a report from the system and submit it to the end users. The input for the script will consist of 3 element. 1) Generation ID 2) Month 3) Year... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: miskin
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Exit out of the Script Command inside a Script

I'm new to Linux. I have a bash script that invokes an executable. I'd like use the SCRIPT command inside the script and exit out of the script command after it writes to the file. Does this make sense? Below is an example of the contents of my script. #BEGIN SCRIPT script typescript... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmungai
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

exit a script

Hi Guys, I have a script which takes reply from user and executes the corresponding scirpt. Below is the script PS3 = 'Enter the options of your choice(x to exit)=>' select useropt in 'List Processess' \ 'List semaphores' do case $REPLY in 1) abc.sh ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: vandi
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep sql error in shell script and exit the script?

I need help in the following script. I want to grep the sql errors insert into the error table and exit the shell script if there is any error, otherwise keep running the scripts. Here is my script #!/bin/csh -f source .orapass set user = $USER set pass = $PASS cd /opt/data/scripts echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: allinshell99
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script: grep multiple lines after pattern match

I have sql file containing lot of queries on different database table. I have to filter specific table queries. Let say i need all queries of test1,test2,test3 along with four lines above it and sql queries can be multi lines or in single line. Input file contains. set INSERT_ID=1; set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirfan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit status of a command in nner script to the outer script?

Hi all, I have a shell script inside which i am executing another shell script. In the inner script im executing a command. i want the status of that command in the outer script to perform some validations. How to get its status please help!!1 Im using ksh. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jayaraman
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture exit code of child script and send it to parent script?

#!/usr/local/bin/bash set -vx /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/PalacefilesWait /prod/HotelierLinks/palaceLink/bin/prodEnvSetup 03212013 & if then echo "fatal error: Palace/HardRock failed!!!!" 1>&2 echo "Palace Failed" | mail -s "Link Failed at Palace/HardRock" -c... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to capture the exit code of a shell script in a perl script.?

hi, i want to pop up an alert box using perl script. my requirement is. i am using a html page which calls a perl script. this perl script calls a shell script.. after the shell script ends its execution, i am using exit 0 to terminate the shell script successfully and exit 1 to terminate the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. AIX

Need to grep two lines from the topas command through a Korn Script

I need to grep two lines from topas command in one of my AIX server. Topas Monitor for host: semas001 EVENTS/QUEUES FILE/TTY Wed Jan 29 10:12:06 2014 Interval: 2 Cswitch 764 Readch 4473.1K Syscall 5166 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpm120
4 Replies
sv(8)                                                         System Manager's Manual                                                        sv(8)

NAME
sv - control and manage services monitored by runsv(8) SYNOPSIS
sv [-v] [-w sec] command services /etc/init.d/service [-w sec] command DESCRIPTION
The sv program reports the current status and controls the state of services monitored by the runsv(8) supervisor. services consists of one or more arguments, each argument naming a directory service used by runsv(8). If service doesn't start with a dot or slash and doesn't end with a slash, it is searched in the default services directory /etc/service/, otherwise relative to the current directory. command is one of up, down, status, once, pause, cont, hup, alarm, interrupt, 1, 2, term, kill, or exit, or start, stop, restart, shutdown, force-stop, force-reload, force-restart, force-shutdown. The sv program can be sym-linked to /etc/init.d/ to provide an LSB init script interface. The service to be controlled then is specified by the base name of the ``init script''. COMMANDS
status Report the current status of the service, and the appendant log service if available, to standard output. up If the service is not running, start it. If the service stops, restart it. down If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. If ./run exits, start ./finish if it exists. After it stops, do not restart service. once If the service is not running, start it. Do not restart it if it stops. pause cont hup alarm interrupt quit 1 2 term kill If the service is running, send it the STOP, CONT, HUP, ALRM, INT, QUIT, USR1, USR2, TERM, or KILL signal respectively. exit If the service is running, send it the TERM signal, and the CONT signal. Do not restart the service. If the service is down, and no log service exists, runsv(8) exits. If the service is down and a log service exists, send the TERM signal to the log service. If the log service is down, runsv(8) exits. This command is ignored if it is given to an appendant log service. sv actually looks only at the first character of these commands. Commands compatible to LSB init script actions status Same as status. start Same as up, but wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available; it's considered to be avail- able if ./check exits with 0. stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status or timeout. reload Same as hup, and additionally report the status afterwards. restart Send the commands term, cont, and up to the service, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and avail- able again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status or timeout. force-stop Same as down, but wait up to 7 seconds for the service to become down. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-reload Send the service the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. force-restart Send the service the term, cont and up commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status, and on timeout send the service the kill command. If the script ./check exists in the service directory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and available again; it's considered to be available if ./check exits with 0. force-shutdown Same as exit, but wait up to 7 seconds for the runsv(8) process to terminate. Then report the status, and on timeout send the ser- vice the kill command. try-restart if the service is running, send it the term and cont commands, and wait up to 7 seconds for the service to restart. Then report the status or timeout. Additional Commands check Check for the service to be in the state that's been requested. Wait up to 7 seconds for the service to reach the requested state, then report the status or timeout. If the requested state of the service is up, and the script ./check exists in the service direc- tory, sv runs this script to check whether the service is up and running; it's considered to be up if ./check exits with 0. OPTIONS
-v If the command is up, down, term, once, cont, or exit, then wait up to 7 seconds for the command to take effect. Then report the status or timeout. -w sec Override the default timeout of 7 seconds with sec seconds. This option implies -v. ENVIRONMENT
SVDIR The environment variable $SVDIR overrides the default services directory /etc/service/. SVWAIT The environment variable $SVWAIT overrides the default 7 seconds to wait for a command to take effect. It is overridden by the -w option. EXIT CODES
sv exits 0, if the command was successfully sent to all services, and, if it was told to wait, the command has taken effect to all ser- vices. For each service that caused an error (e.g. the directory is not controlled by a runsv(8) process, or sv timed out while waiting), sv increases the exit code by one and exits non zero. The maximum is 99. sv exits 100 on error. If sv is called with a base name other than sv: it exits 1 on timeout or trouble sending the command; if the command is status, it exits 3 if the service is down, and 4 if the status is unknown; it exits 2 on wrong usage, and 151 on error. SEE ALSO
runsv(8), chpst(8), svlogd(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), runit(8), runit-init(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> sv(8)