Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding lines and columns to a file Post 302336581 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 11:52:48 AM
Old 07-22-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zajtat
Thanks once again!
I've try to run it with wak, but nothing happens. All that's printed is >
Sorry, this may be very basis, but I'm new to UNIX

---------- Post updated at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:46 AM ----------

may be we could simplify the task:
How can I add just another column to an existing file1?
Please
just type what's been posted - assuming your file1 and file2 do exist in the current working directory:
Code:
awk '
  FNR==NR {f2[FNR]=$3;next}
  FNR==1 { print "here is my new line"}' file2 file1
  $NF = $NF OFS f2[FNR]' file2 file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: adding columns in CSV file with information in each

Hi Wise UNIX Crew, I want to add 3 different columns to the file in which: 1. The first new column pulls in today's date and time 2. Second column one has a '0' 3. Third column has the word 'ANY' going down the column If my file content is as follows: "7","a","abc",123"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dolo21taf
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding columns to a file

I want to select the first column from a daily file called foo.csv. The result is written to file foo.txt. Currently the following script is used for that: cut -d, -f 1 foo.csv > foo.txt A typical result would yield : A12 A45 B11 B67 What needs to happen in addition is that two columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help for Adding Three new columns in existing file from fatching data from file

not required this time (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_Malik
36 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding EMPTY columns to Tab-delimited txt file

Hi I have a txt file with 4 columns where I need to add 4 empty columns in the middle meaning that I need what is currently column 4 to be column 8 in a new file. The idea is that I have to use the file as input in a program that reads the data in column 1 and 8, so the content of the other... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Banni
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggestions for adding columns to text file

Good afternoon to everyone, I have some input and output from various widgets that I am trying to get to play nicely together. Basically I would like to stay out of excel and be able to automate the entire process. I have read some posts here about how to use awk, nawk, etc, to do similar... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding new lines to a file + adding suffix to a pattern

I need some help with adding lines to file and substitute a pattern. Ok I have a file: #cat names.txt name: John Doe stationed: 1 name: Michael Sweets stationed: 41 . . . And would like to change it to: name: John Doe employed permanently stationed: 1-office (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemo21
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column in a file with other existing columns

Hi All , Kindly help me with this soln awk '{printf "%s %7s \n", $1,$c}' infile where value of variable c I am externally giving input But executing the above command shows all the columns of infile where as I want only 1st column of infile and 2nd column should print value c (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File - Adding columns in the middle

Hello, I have a comma separated flat file. It contains some 20 columns. I want to add two new columns at position 2,3. So that file will have 22 columns. I am providing here sample data with file having 4 columns. Appreciate your help in finding solution for this. data in input file:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed: Adding columns in csv file in loop

Hi Everyone: My shell script creates multiple csv files (~30) in for loop. I want to compile (or merge) 3rd column from each (all) of these files to another file (in loop). Please help. Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smap007
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl - adding columns to file

I have a file in which I need to add more columns to based on a key in the first file: File1 key1,abc,123, key2,def,456, key3,ghi,789, File2 key2,zyx,111,qqq, key3,yuu,222,www, key1,pui,333,eee, key4,xxx,999,rrr, I would like to create the following output: Output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)