Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat ls command with a welcome message ! Post 302336519 by rakeshawasthi on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 09:29:15 AM
Old 07-22-2009
Yes it is possible if alias is used
or
ls is re-written and this new ls is put in any directory appearing in PATH.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Some kind of message command

Hello All, hope someone here can help me with this. I am a new unix system administrator on the HP-UX machine. Every night, our operators back up our file system using one tape but as of recently, our files have gotten bigger and it now requires 2 tapes for a complete backup. Since the operators... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjit
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command is respawning too rapidly..message

Ran into a new one today at work...... I was told to start 2 servers which were shut down due to a power outage(I don't believe they were shut down incorrectly). After fsck, both console logins appear with the message: INIT: Command is respawning too rapidly. Check for possible errors. >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

not sure what this message means, last command

in the last command..........what's this mean? i truncated the user name for obvious reasons, b b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still logged in b rexecd Wed Jan 7 08:53 still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaunders
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a strange message when executing the sort command

Dear all, when I issue the command: gunzip -c file.gz |sort the command is executed normally and correctly but a message keeps appearing everytime I run the command: the message: sort: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file STDIN Does anyone know what is the meaning of this message?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Odd message from find command

Running the find command as: find /abc -follow -ls gives, for some files, the message, which I have never seen before: find: /abc/def/123.txt: No error Does it mean that find found the file with out error. If it found it without error then why did it not output the "ls" particulars as with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twk
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add message in a command line processing

I am trying to add a message while archive some files. For example I am using the below command to archive some files tar -cvf inst.tar Linux The command gives the terminal display like as below I want to add a message beginning of each line followed by orginal message and end... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command - not a valid identifier message

Trying to run the following awk command : export com.mics.ara.server.tools.sch_reports.Runner.num_threads=`awk -F= '!/^#/ && /com.mics.ara.server.tools.sch_reports.Runner.num_threads/{print $2}' $BKUPDIR/env.properties` -bash: export:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venhart
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error message with tail command

Hello, I wrote a script and part of the script, I have a validation to check if the file has <EOF> on the last line of the file. If it does not have a <EOF>, then a message has to be written to a log file. the code snippet shown below works fine, but it writes the below message if the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijay81
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to return a message after command runs?

I have a script like this: echo "enter filername in lowercase" read -e filername exec 2>&1 echo "type the start date in format MM/DD/YYYY" read -e startdate exec 2>&1 echo "enter the end date in format MM/DD/YYYY" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Command - 2 Behaviours and a wrong false message

Heyas As there was a splitting issue with TUI 0.6.6-x focused around tui-status since the 'solaris' (not really but for that purpose) update, the urge was given to do this first. Well, the splitting 'bug' should be fixed, i hope. But i've found a new one. When i start the very same script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
4 Replies
update-fonts-alias(8)					      System Manager's Manual					     update-fonts-alias(8)

NAME
update-fonts-alias - compile fonts.alias files SYNOPSIS
update-fonts-alias [OPTION] directory ... DESCRIPTION
update-fonts-alias assembles a fonts.alias file in an X font directory using one or more alias files found in a subdirectory of /etc/X11/fonts/. It is typically invoked only from the post-installation and post-removal scripts of a package containing X Window System fonts that provide aliases for their XLFD names, but may be invoked at any time to reconstruct fonts.alias files. For each directory, which is simply the last component of its path (such as '75dpi' or 'misc'), update-fonts-alias will assemble either /usr/lib/X11/fonts/directory/fonts.alias or /usr/share/fonts/X11/directory/fonts.alias from the files found in /etc/X11/fonts/direc- tory/package.alias. This enables multiple packages to provide aliases for fonts in the same directory. No font package actually provides the fonts.alias file in the X font directory itself, so there is no danger of overwriting one package's aliases with those of another. For instance, the two packages 'xfonts-base' and 'xfonts-base-transcoded' may both install fonts into the directory /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc. They each place their fonts.alias files in /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base.alias and /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base-transcoded.alias (respectively). update-fonts-alias concatenates these two files (as well as any others that match /etc/X11/fonts/misc/*.alias) into /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias. The format of fonts.alias files is described in the mkfontdir(1x) manual page. An example of how to use update-fonts-alias in package maintainer scripts is provided in the Debian Policy Manual. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a brief usage message and exits. OPERANDS
update-fonts-alias takes one or more X font directory names to operate on as operands. Only the final path component of the directory name should be specified; e.g., update-fonts-alias 75dpi is correct, while 'update-fonts-alias /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' and 'update-fonts-alias /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' are not. ENVIRONMENT
COLUMNS indicates the width of the terminal device in character cells. This value is used for formatting diagnostic messages. If not set, the terminal is queried using stty(1) to determine its width. If that fails, a value of '80' is assumed. DIAGNOSTICS
Errors usage error: one or more font directories must be provided update-fonts-alias was invoked without operands. Supply one or more X font directory names to operate on. usage error: unrecognized option update-fonts-alias was invoked with an unrecognized option argument. Use only the options documented in "OPTIONS", above. fatal error: path to X font directory must be used A directory name was supplied that was not an X font directory name. Supply X font directory names only. Warnings warning: absolute path directory was provided Usage of absolute paths is deprecated. Use only the final component of the X font directory name for directory. warning: directory does not exist or is not a directory The supplied directory was invalid. update-fonts-alias skipped it. EXIT STATUS
0 update-fonts-alias ran successfully. 1 update-fonts-alias experienced a fatal error; see the section on diagnostic messages above. 2 update-fonts-alias was invoked with invalid arguments. BUGS
See the Debian Bug Tracking System <http://bugs.debian.org/xfonts-utils>. If you wish to report a bug in update-fonts-alias, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHOR
update-fonts-alias was written by Branden Robinson. SEE ALSO
mkfontdir(1x) Debian Project 2004-11-11 update-fonts-alias(8)