Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Read only files for all users Post 302336501 by k.ganesh on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 09:18:29 AM
Old 07-22-2009
i want to create a file, and write some content. Then make it as permanent read only file

---------- Post updated at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:46 PM ----------

Thanks for you reply rakesh

---------- Post updated at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:47 PM ----------

Is there any other way to do it?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access another users files

Hi, I want to access another users files and directories.Is there any command to do in unix ??.I think CHOWN would work.May i know the exact command for it. Regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: William1482
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

read() wont allow me to read files larger than 2 gig (on a 64bit)

Hi the following c-code utilizing the 'read()' man 2 read method cant read in files larger that 2gig. Hi I've found a strange problem on ubuntu64bit, that limits the data you are allowed to allocate on a 64bit platform using the c function 'read()' The following program wont allow to allocate... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkeyking
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read log files from last read

Hi i am looking a way to look at a log file(log.txt) from the last time I've read it. However after some days the main log file(log.txt) is rename to (log.txt.1). So now i will have two log files as below. log.txt.1 log.txt Now, i have to read the log from the point where i have left... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumitsks
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prevent a shell script from copy or read from Users

I have a script which do validation check and perform code migration from one env. to another, this is built for users/developers. How can I prevent this shell script from copy or read from users, as they can modify it and run it as per their requirement where as this has to be standard script and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pramendra
1 Replies

5. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read files in shell script code and run a C program on those files

HI, I am trying to implement a simple shell script program that does not make use of ls or find commands as they are quite expensive on very large sets of files. So, I am trying to generate the file list myself. What I am trying to do is this: 1. Generate a file name using shell script, for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to read through a file and create new users/assign them to groups in Ubuntu

Hi all. I need a shell script that can, in short, read through a text file line by line and create a new user in Ubuntu, as well as assign that user to a group. The format of the text file is not important but preferably: 'username:group'. I don't have much programming knowledge no matter shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LewisWeekly
3 Replies
CALIFE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 CALIFE(1)

NAME
calife -- becomes root (or another user) legally. SYNOPSIS
calife [-] [login] or ... [-] [login] for some sites (check with your administrator). DESCRIPTION
Calife requests user's own password for becoming login (or root, if no login is provided), and switches to that user and group ID after veri- fying proper rights to do so. A shell is then executed. If calife is executed by root, no password is requested and a shell with the appro- priate user ID is executed. The invoked shell is the user's own except when a shell is specified in the configuration file calife.auth. If ``-'' is specified on the command line, user's profile files are read as if it was a login shell. This is not the traditional behavior of su. Only users specified in calife.auth can use calife to become another one with this method. You can specify in the calife.auth file the list of logins allowed for users when using calife. See calife.auth(5) for more details. calife.auth is installed as /etc/calife.auth. FILES
/etc/calife.auth List of users authorized to use calife and the users they can become. /etc/calife.out This script is executed just after getting out of calife. SEE ALSO
su(1), calife.auth(5), group(5), environ(7) ENVIRONMENT
The original environment is kept. This is not a security problem as you have to be yourself at login (i.e. it does not have the same security implications as in su(1) ). Environment variables used by calife: HOME Default home directory of real user ID. PATH Default search path of real user ID unless modified as specified above. TERM Provides terminal type which may be retained for the substituted user ID. USER The user ID is always the effective ID (the target user ID) after an su unless the user ID is 0 (root). BUGS
The MD5-based crypt(3) function is slower and probably stronger than the DES-based one but it is usable only among FreeBSD 2.0+ systems. HISTORY
A calife command appeared in DG/UX, written for Antenne 2 in 1991. It has evolved considerably since this period with more OS support, user lists handling and improved logging. PAM support was introduced in 2005 to port it to MacOS X variants (Panther and up). AUTHOR
Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr> BSD
September 25, 1994 BSD