Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora wall and write commands are not working Post 302336405 by sankar_vitam on Wednesday 22nd of July 2009 04:39:53 AM
Old 07-22-2009
no sir in windows i have installed putty throuh which i connected to this server

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wall commands

I would like to know when using the wall command can I send a message to a specific user that is logged in. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nascar.fan
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wall and rwall commands

let's say in my office i have 20 networked sun boxes named host1 through host20. i am currently logged in as root at some random machine, which we will say host13 for this scenario's sake. now, is there any way i can send a text message of some sort over the whole network to all logged in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AMisledDrummer
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using the wall or write cmd

Hi all, i'm trying to generate a "pop up window" incorporating either the write or wall command or both. Is such a thing possible ? thanks simon2000 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simon2000
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need info:"talk,write and wall"

hi nu 2 this forum., can any one tell me how to 'talk' to a person on other system who is connected in a network(LAN) via terminal....... and when to use wall,write and talk.. regards leenus :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr.anilbabu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

communicating wth another user aside from "wall" and "write"

Hi, Can anyone suggest a Unix command or c-shell algorithm to simulate to behavior of "wall" command minus the "all users"? What I'm trying to do is to send a notice to just one particular user but i dont want other remotely-logged-on users to receive the message (on the pseudo-terminals). I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write a script by using unix commands to down any server

Hi, I need to do frequently server down and up. Every time i am using nearly 5 to 6 commands to down and agin i am using the commands to up. Can anybody help me to write a script to down and up. which i can use once on unix platform it can down later it can up the server. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreerao
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Wall, Write, select users, pipe a text file, HELP Before I'm Bald!

OK... I'm fairly new to unix having the admin handed to me on a platter w/almost no training. However, being a programmer, I do pick up things fairly easily, but this one is getting the best of me. I have a unix server that runs multiple versions of the same ERP system, hand crafted for our... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chimodel
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

how to write shell specific commands?

I am using Fedora 8,Red hat 9. Whenever we write a new command. Then we goto "/usr/bin" and then place this in this directory.And hence we can use it as a command anywhere from the terminal. We generally see commands like "trap" which run only in bash shell.We also have other shell specific... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nsharath
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Can anyone help? I have to Write a program in C that recognizes the following commands and translate

I have to Write a program in C that recognizes the following commands and translates them into much simpler ones Commands to recognize shorter command list L cd dir C - dir_length - dir get file_name G - file_name_length - file_name Long commands are read from the standard input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aintour
1 Replies

10. Linux

Suggest update of two commands - who to write to?

I think it's about time the df and du commands (executables?) were updated to display gigabyte units without one having to do their own calculations from the -m option (display in megabytes). This is one of those "little nothing" annoyances that, at the same time, would positively show new... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilversleevesX
3 Replies
HALT(8) 							       halt								   HALT(8)

NAME
halt, poweroff, reboot - Halt, power-off or reboot the machine SYNOPSIS
halt [OPTIONS...] poweroff [OPTIONS...] reboot [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
halt, poweroff, reboot may be used to halt, power-off or reboot the machine. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: --help Prints a short help text and exits. --halt Halt the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -p, --poweroff Power-off the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. --reboot Reboot the machine, regardless of which one of the three commands is invoked. -f, --force Force immediate halt, power-off, reboot. Do not contact the init system. -w, --wtmp-only Only write wtmp shutdown entry, do not actually halt, power-off, reboot. -d, --no-wtmp Do not write wtmp shutdown entry. --no-wall Do not send wall message before halt, power-off, reboot. EXIT STATUS
On success, 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. NOTES
These are legacy commands available for compatibility only. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), shutdown(8), wall(1) systemd 208 HALT(8)