Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers modifying ls() to support the display of file sequences? Post 302335885 by Dr_Flambe on Monday 20th of July 2009 05:09:20 PM
Old 07-20-2009
modifying ls() to support the display of file sequences?

Hi there, I'm new to the board and I did try a search, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I deal in mostly large sets of sequential files, usually images. I was wondering if someone has modified the standard ls() command, or created another command that would display standardly named, sequential files as a single listing in the directory.

For example, I have 3,000 files in a single directory with a name structure like:

Ocean_Current_Mask.0001.exr
Ocean_Current_Mask.0002.exr
Ocean_Current_Mask.0003.exr

and so on.

Is there a command that would display all of these files as a single directory entry?

Thank you!

Sam

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to set DISPLAY to support X11 window server

I can run xclock from root but not able to run in a user (oracle) I am getting this error during installation of ORACLE-10g (10.2) in Solaris-10 (X86).............when I do ./runInstaller when ever try, getting this error....... DISPLAY not set. Please set the DISPLAY and try again. or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gohappy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing specific sequences from file

My file looks like this But I need to remove the entry with the identifier >Reference1 along with the entire sequence. Thus, I will end up having the following file Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the part of sequences from a file

I have a text file, input.fasta contains some protein sequences. input.fasta is shown below. >P02649 MKVLWAALLVTFLAGCQAKVEQAVETEPEPELRQQTEWQSGQRWELALGRFWDYLRWVQT LSEQVQEELLSSQVTQELRALMDETMKELKAYKSELEEQLTPVAEETRARLSKELQAAQA RLGADMEDVCGRLVQYRGEVQAMLGQSTEELRVRLASHLRKLRKRLLRDADDLQKRLAVY... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahim42
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove escape sequences from a text file?

Hello friends, Could anyone please advise on how to remove escape sequences from a text file? $ file input.txt input.txt: ASCII English text, with escape sequences I'm able to see those escape characters when opened in vi editor like shown below: ^ but not when I run more... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnus29
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate sequences and modifying a text file

Hi. I've tried several different programs to try and solve this problem, but none of them seem to have done exactly what I want (and I need the file in a very specific format). I have a large file of DNA sequences in a multifasta file like this, with around 15 000 genes: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting unique sequences from multiple fasta file

Hi, I have a fasta file with multiple sequences. How can i get only unique sequences from the file. For example my_file.fasta >seq1 TCTCAAAGAAAGCTGTGCTGCATACTGTACAAAACTTTGTCTGGAGAGATGGAGAATCTCATTGACTTTACAGGTGTGGACGGTCTTCAGAGATGGCTCAAGCTAACATTCCCTGACACACCTATAGGGAAAGAGCTAAC >seq2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ibk
3 Replies
AR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     AR(1)

NAME
ar - archive and library maintainer SYNOPSIS
ar key [ posname ] afile name ... DESCRIPTION
Ar maintains groups of files combined into a single archive file. Its main use is to create and update library files as used by the loader. It can be used, though, for any similar purpose. Key is one character from the set drqtpmx, optionally concatenated with one or more of vuaibcl. Afile is the archive file. The names are constituent files in the archive file. The meanings of the key characters are: d Delete the named files from the archive file. r Replace the named files in the archive file. If the optional character u is used with r, then only those files with modified dates later than the archive files are replaced. If an optional positioning character from the set abi is used, then the posname argument must be present and specifies that new files are to be placed after (a) or before (b or i) posname. Otherwise new files are placed at the end. q Quickly append the named files to the end of the archive file. Optional positioning characters are invalid. The command does not check whether the added members are already in the archive. Useful only to avoid quadratic behavior when creating a large archive piece-by-piece. t Print a table of contents of the archive file. If no names are given, all files in the archive are tabled. If names are given, only those files are tabled. p Print the named files in the archive. m Move the named files to the end of the archive. If a positioning character is present, then the posname argument must be present and, as in r, specifies where the files are to be moved. x Extract the named files. If no names are given, all files in the archive are extracted. In neither case does x alter the archive file. v Verbose. Under the verbose option, ar gives a file-by-file description of the making of a new archive file from the old archive and the constituent files. When used with t, it gives a long listing of all information about the files. When used with p, it precedes each file with a name. c Create. Normally ar will create afile when it needs to. The create option suppresses the normal message that is produced when afile is created. l Local. Normally ar places its temporary files in the directory /tmp. This option causes them to be placed in the local directory. FILES
/tmp/v* temporaries SEE ALSO
ld(1), ar(5), lorder(1) BUGS
If the same file is mentioned twice in an argument list, it may be put in the archive twice. AR(1)