Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash Help: users who are not logged into the system to display Post 302335357 by sriharsha_kvr on Saturday 18th of July 2009 05:11:23 PM
Old 07-18-2009
Try this command .....

grep -v `who | tr -s " " | cut -d" " -f1` /etc/passwd | awk -F":" '{print $1}'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Users logged in through which NIC

We have two NIC cards in our IBM RS/6000 F50 running AIX 4.3.3 We are trying to make sure we have moved all users to log in through the new NIC. 10.22.x.y (old) 10.22.x.z (new) How can I tell which users are still using the old address for logging in so I can update their work station to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cburtgo
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how many users logged

in unix what is the syntax to find out how many users are currently logged in (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
4 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

logged out users

how to find out users who logged out within 5 minutes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: roshni
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users Not Logged in

I have searched the forums but have not mangaed to quite find what im looking for. I have used to /etc/passwd command to present me a list of all users the who command to present all users currently logged on, but what i want to know is what command can i use to display users that are registered... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: warlock129
12 Replies

5. Programming

Get the list of logged in users

How can I get the list of logged in users in the system programmatically? I can get the list with 'who' or 'users' commands but I need to get the list programmatically... May someone help, please? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How many users are logged in?

How do I find this out? I have a feeling its a simple command such as who, but I just don't know what it is. I've had a search on here but either I can't put it into the right search criteria or there isn't a topic on it. Thanks. EDIT: Delete this thread, as I posted it I noticed the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris_rabz
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

(RHEL, Bash) List users and check if they have logged on during the last 2 months

Hi everyone, At work we were told to check the list of users of an application server and delete all those that have left the company or don't need access to the application anymore. Here's what I came up with. Would you be as kind as to tell me your opinion and whether there is a faster / easier... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gacanepa
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Users logged into the system

So I'm trying to write a single line command So I have to use last first in this command and I've figured out the format my professor wants it in, something like thislast | cut -d' ' -f1,15 | sort > check | uniq -c.... and I never can get it right, when I just last command I get something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DoubleAlpha
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[Tip] How to display the number of logged-in users

In a professional environment with traditional application you often want (or are asked) to report the users. Traditionally there is the who command who | awk '{print $1}'telnetd or sshd register the users in the utmp file, to be shown with who, w, users, finger, pinky, ... In addition they... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
1 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file...] cut -c list [file...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file...] DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like <TAB> (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indicate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (use- ful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2: Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.10 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)