Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: replacing line with variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing line with variable Post 302334973 by sideways on Friday 17th of July 2009 01:55:12 AM
Old 07-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyadhar85
you can use sed or awk...
Code:
awk -v var="$your_var" 'NR==2{gsub($0,var)}{print}' filename

That is just writing to standard out, not editing the actual file. I could redirect and mv it, but the files are large and I'd like to avoid having to do that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing pattern in variable

My String variable is holding value as - abc"def I want to replce " with \" I tried with awk : echo $var | awk '{gsub(/"/,"\"");print}' and I am getting an error, `)' is not expected. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: videsh77
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing $ in variable

hi I have a variable like k=$DESTDIR/$PKG/$VERSION I want to replace each $ in string k with say "XXX". so that k becomes like this "XXXDESTDIR/XXXPKG/XXXVERSION" when I use echo $k | sed -e "s/\$/XXX" it actually passes expanded of variables $DESTDIR, $PKG and $VERSION to sed. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashish_uiit
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing text with the value of a variable

Input file - tmp <begin> ./00003/ ./00004/ <end> I would like to replace "." with the value of pwd so that the output will look like /dev/project/00003/ t=`pwd` sed -e "s/\./$t/g" tmp > tmp1; The above piece of code is not working. Appreciate your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lotto_123
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a pattern using variable?

ip1="xxx" ip2="bbb" sed 's/$ip1/$ip2/g' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing in a variable

Hi, If I have a variable var1 ='TH 12/1234' How can I set this too in a script var1 ='TH 12~1234' Bearing in mind "/" might be in a difference place each time and that the "/" might not even exist each time the variable is set. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: belfastbelle
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing ' ' and :'s with _'s in a variable

Hi guys In my shell script I have a variable that contains a string that contains the current time. I want to replace the spaces and colons in the value with underscores. TIME=`date` echo $TIME gives me: Thu Sep 24 16:40:53 BST 2009 I want it to show:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinaqvi90
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing line 'i' of file1 with line 'j' of file 2

Hi All, As mentioned in the title I have two text files and I would like to replace line number 5 of file #1 with line number 4 of file #2 e.g. file 1 wqwert 4.4464002 3 319 286 369 46.320002 56.150002 45.100002 1 1 1 0.723 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable to another file and replacing

Hi all, I have a script in file1 which gets input from the user say variable "TYPE". This variable is present in the other file2. I want to replace the variable in the file2 with the value given by the user and print the file. How can I achieve this task? file1 code echo "Give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ananthdoss
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a variable in a loop

input.txt I want to make 3 seprate ouputs such that toast1.txt ICH.txt ICH_SV.txt I have tried "echo" and "sed 's/k/toast1/g' to replace k, but its not quite working. Please help me out :) Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnkim0806
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing a variable in shell scripting

Experts, Can someone help me with the below? I've a variable called NSPMHOME=some_value. I would like change the value of the variable with another variable and something followed by it. E.g From NSPHOME=some_value to NSPMHOME=$SOMETHING/test $SOMETHING has value /opt/tag . The end... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawaugh
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)