Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Test command question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Test command question Post 302334797 by jim mcnamara on Thursday 16th of July 2009 01:20:37 PM
Old 07-16-2009
Code:
cd $dir_old
dir_new=/some/new/path
for name in MC*
    do
        if [ test -e  ${dir_new}/${name}.CP  ]; then
            diff -s "$name" "${dir_new}/${name}.CP" >> logfile
        fi
    done

I'm not sure about the .CP - you get to fix that. Are there files minus the CP in dir_old, but that have .CP in newdir? That is what your code is doing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

question about a 'test' command

Hi all, I have the following script.Can somone explain what it does.Thanks in advance. if test $# -lt 1 then echo "Message" exit 1 fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another newb question: how to use test for zero-length string ?

Assume $x equals "". If I try: if test -n $x I get the "Expression syntax" error. It works in Linux but not in unix bash. In unix bourne I get "test: argument expected" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
4 Replies

3. Programming

Test command name

I'm very new to C and could use a little help. I'm testing to make sure the command is running as it's proper name, if not then fail. if (strcmp(argv, "xinit") != 0) { fprintf(stdout, "name = %s length = %d\n",argv,l); usage(0); } This works if the command is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nck
3 Replies

4. Solaris

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question We want to set an AIX, Solaris & Linux test environment. Here are the hardware equipments: (1) A Sunfire v100 (or v120), 1GB memory, two 36GB HDD. (2) An IBM pSeries 7026, 1 GB memory, 4 9GB HDD. (3) Five external HDD with SCSI... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question

AIX, Solaris, Linux Test Environment Design Question We want to set an AIX, Solaris & Linux test environment. Here are the hardware equipments: (1) A Sunfire v100 (or v120), 1GB memory, two 36GB HDD. (2) An IBM pSeries 7026, 1 GB memory, 4 9GB HDD. (3) Five external HDD with SCSI... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

FNG Question: Test if remote server has booted

Hello again, I have a script on my media server that wakes up my backup server, performs an 'rsync' backup, then shuts the backup server down. Currently, I have it send the Wake on LAN packet, and sleep for 5 minutes, just to give the backup server time to boot (of course it doesn't take that long,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vwgtiturbo
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test on string containing spacewhile test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = quitC then break fi d

This is the code: while test 1 -eq 1 do read a $a if test $a = stop then break fi done I read a command on every loop an execute it. I check if the string equals the word stop to end the loop,but it say that I gave too many arguments to test. For example echo hello. Now the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Max89
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition

How to check weather a string is like test* or test* ot *test* in if condition (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnjerome
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test command

hello, i'v trying to use the TEST command and i have some problems with it. i am trying kill all proccess wich is greater than 25. i started with - ps -f | grep -v TTY | awk '{print $4}' but i dont know how to proceed from here.. 10x a lot, Daniel. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dadiT
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell grammar question: logical OR in test

Hi, I am trying to check if two input files exist before the rest of the scripts is run. Following is the code that I have but it gives me syntax error. if then echo "File not found" else echo "File found" fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
3 Replies
mvdir(1M)																 mvdir(1M)

NAME
mvdir - move a directory SYNOPSIS
dir newdir DESCRIPTION
moves one directory tree into another existing directory (within the same file system), or renames a directory without moving it. dir must be an existing directory. If newdir does not exist but the directory that would contain it does, dir is moved and/or renamed to newdir. Otherwise, newdir must be an existing directory not already containing an entry with the same name as the last pathname component of dir. In this case, dir is moved and becomes a subdirectory of newdir. The last pathname component of dir is used as the name for the moved directory. refuses to move dir if the path specified by newdir would be a descendent directory of the path specified by dir. Such cases are not allowed because cyclic sub-trees would be created as in the case, for example, of which is prohibited. does not allow directory to be moved. Only users who have appropriate privileges can use EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. AUTHOR
was developed by OSF and HP. SEE ALSO
cp(1), mkdir(1), mv(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
mvdir(1M)