Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with Median
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with Median Post 302334729 by vgersh99 on Thursday 16th of July 2009 09:45:32 AM
Old 07-16-2009
Google is your friend

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to median

hi! i have a file like the attachement. you can see on the last column, there is a marker from 1 to 64 for each time. I'd like to have the median for each marker: i want to get a median every 128 values the result is : for an hour and marker x, i have the median value thank you for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: riderman
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compute the median of a set of numbers with AWK?

Is there a way in awk to compute the median of a set of numbers in a file in the following format. 34 67 78 100 23 45 67 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk based script to find the median of all individual columns in a data file

Hi All, I have some data like below. Step1,Param1,Param2,Param3 1,2,3,4 2,3,4,5 2,4,5,6 3,0,1,2 3,0,0,0 3,2,1,3 ........ so on Where I need to find the median(arithmetic) of each column from Param1...to..Param3 for each set of Step1 values. (Sort each specific column, if the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Median and max of duplicate rows

Hi all, plz help me with this, I want to to extract the duplicate rows (column 1) in a file which at least repeat 4 times. then I want to summarize them by getting the max , mean, median and min. The file is sorted by column 1, all the repeated rows appear together. If number of elements is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Median calculator based on id match

I am trying to calculate the median of a column of numbers if they match an ID type on a different column. The input file has 3 columns. The column that has the ID is column 1 and the column with the values I'd like to find the median for is column 3. The file does not need to be sorted. What I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print median values of matrix -awk?

I use the following script to print the sum and how could I extend this to print medians instead? thanks name s1 s2 s3 s4 g1 2 8 6 5 g1 5 7 9 9 g1 6 7 8 9 g2 8 8 8 8 g2 7 7 7 7 g2 10 10 10 10 g3 3 12 1 24 g3 5 5 24 48 g3 12 3 12 12 g3 2 3 3 3 output name s1 s2 s3 s4 g1 5 7 8 9... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies
MINISTAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       MINISTAT(1)

NAME
ministat -- statistics utility SYNOPSIS
ministat [-Ans] [-C column] [-c confidence_level] [-d delimiter] [-w [width]] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The ministat command calculates fundamental statistical properties of numeric data in the specified files or, if no file is specified, stan- dard input. The options are as follows: -A Just report the statistics of the input and relative comparisons, suppress the ASCII-art plot. -n Just report the raw statistics of the input, suppress the ASCII-art plot and the relative comparisons. -s Print the average/median/stddev bars on separate lines in the ASCII-art plot, to avoid overlap. -C column Specify which column of data to use. By default the first column in the input file(s) are used. -c confidence_level Specify desired confidence level for Student's T analysis. Possible values are 80, 90, 95, 98, 99 and 99.5 % -d delimiter Specifies the column delimiter characters, default is SPACE and TAB. See strtok(3) for details. -w width Width of ASCII-art plot in characters, default is 74. A sample output could look like this: $ ministat -s -w 60 iguana chameleon x iguana + chameleon +------------------------------------------------------------+ |x * x * + + x +| | |________M______A_______________| | | |________________M__A___________________| | +------------------------------------------------------------+ N Min Max Median Avg Stddev x 7 50 750 200 300 238.04761 + 5 150 930 500 540 299.08193 No difference proven at 95.0% confidence If ministat tells you, as in the example above, that there is no difference proven at 95% confidence, the two data sets you gave it are for all statistical purposes identical. You have the option of lowering your standards by specifying a lower confidence level: $ ministat -s -w 60 -c 80 iguana chameleon x iguana + chameleon +------------------------------------------------------------+ |x * x * + + x +| | |________M______A_______________| | | |________________M__A___________________| | +------------------------------------------------------------+ N Min Max Median Avg Stddev x 7 50 750 200 300 238.04761 + 5 150 930 500 540 299.08193 Difference at 80.0% confidence 240 +/- 212.215 80% +/- 70.7384% (Student's t, pooled s = 264.159) But a lower standard does not make your data any better, and the example is only included here to show the format of the output when a sta- tistical difference is proven according to Student's T method. SEE ALSO
Any mathematics text on basic statistics, for instances Larry Gonicks excellent "Cartoon Guide to Statistics" which supplied the above exam- ple. HISTORY
The ministat command was written by Poul-Henning Kamp out of frustration over all the bogus benchmark claims made by people with no under- standing of the importance of uncertainty and statistics. From FreeBSD 5.2 it has lived in the source tree as a developer tool, graduating to the installed system from FreeBSD 8.0. BSD
November 10, 2012 BSD