Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX aix 4.2 : using dd of=/dev/rmt0 producing error Post 302334519 by bakunin on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 07:27:23 PM
Old 07-15-2009
ok, one step after the other:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browser_ice
tar cvpdlBf - folder | compress | dd if=- of=/dev/rmt0.1 bs=10240

but using ... | dd if=- ... does not work. It does not recognize the - as a proper input file direction.
I assume you want to avoid taxing the file system, right? Colleague shockneck told me that in v5 onwards stdin is the default for dd - i remember vaguely that this was different in 4.x, but you could try. Even if it doesn't work you might create a fifo and pipe it through this pseudofile.

Quote:
oslevel with option -a is unknown to the system.
As far as i remember (its been a while) "-a" was introduced with v5. You find the "classical" way of getting detailed version information in the pinned thread at the top of this forum.

Quote:
I have no idea how to get the serial number.
The serial number is only printed on the case and you will have to have physical access to the machine to get it. There is no way to find it via a command in a R/6000 machine.

Still i don't think the serial number is of interest here. What would be interesting is the model number which would be a 4-digit number maybe with a 3-digit extension, probably starting with a 7, like "7026-150" or so. Try "uname -M" to get the model number (i am not sure if this is a 5.x command too, but it is worth a try).

I hope that helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status

Hello all, Anyboby knows what is the reason by which the ouput of the command mt -f /dev/rmt0.1 status on AIX does not show the same information that in the rest of platforms UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, ...)? Then, what command of AIX is similar to mt- f /dev/rmt0.1 status of Solaris? We need it to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoraprosol
0 Replies

2. Solaris

What is /dev/tty /dev/null and /dev/console

Hi, Anyone can help My solaris 8 system has the following /dev/null , /dev/tty and /dev/console All permission are lrwxrwxrwx Can this be change to a non-world write ?? any impact ?? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: civic2005
12 Replies

3. AIX

Piping to /dev/rmt0 tape ?

I am trying to find a way to do the following on an AIX 4.2 with Korn: tar cvfpdl - . | compress > /dev/rmt0 The /dev/rmt0 is the device we use when we tar directly to it. I want to compress a folder's content to tape. Our current TAR does not have compression at all. We only have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

4. AIX

/dev/rmt0 pointed to from an NFS of another server ?

I only about the principle of filesystems from the very basics on Linux and Windows. But I want to know if it is possible on an AIX 4.2 to create one NFS on a server which is pointing to a tape drive (/dev/rmt0) of another server ? This is because we several backups to do on a 5 servers that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script producing error, Program to calculate maximum number

Hi folks, Here i have written a shell script to calculate a maximum number from 10 numbers entered on command line. max=0 echo Enter 10 numbers , one at a time for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do read n max=`expr $max + $n` if --- At this last step there is some problem, it gives error... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rits
5 Replies

6. AIX

rmt0 allows get increased .. !

rmt0 allows get increased .. ! I have faced this issue in my AIX server, rmt0 allows get increased and it's filled /root till 100% There is no tape in tape drive why it's increased? Pls advice.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

iptables producing 'Unknown error 18446744073709551615' inRed Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5.5

Creating a large number of rules such as 100000, iptables will produce errors after 42000 rules "iptables: Unknown error 18446744073709551615". But another machine where i have debian virtual machine I can easily run the sciprt of 100000 of rules I am waiting for your reply 4.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tahirfattani
1 Replies

8. AIX

"Please mount volume 2 on /dev/rmt0.1" message during mksysb restore

Dear all First of all, my English not so good. We have p52a (production server) and p52a (test server). Tape drives are VXA2. When both servers were AIX 5.3, mksysb on production server and restoring to test server was OK. The production server was AIX 5.3 and recently upgraded to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifa15pc
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automating partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc

Objective: To recreate the partitioning setup of /dev/sda on /dev/sdc How would I parse the below information and initialize variables (an array?) that can be used to build sgdisk commands in a script, regardless of the number of partitions? Something along the lines of: sgdisk -n... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: RogerBaran
12 Replies

10. AIX

AIX native SNMP producing limited results when walking MIB tree

The company I work for has various AIX servers that I've recently migrated to AIX 7.1 (from 6.1). Some are powerHA clusters some are not. Likewise, the systems engineer that I replaced had net-snmp installed on said clustered systems. Long story short I am re-invoking AIX's native SNMP (v3) for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davix
1 Replies
uname(1)						      General Commands Manual							  uname(1)

NAME
uname - display information about computer system; set node name (system name) SYNOPSIS
nodename] DESCRIPTION
In the first form above, the command displays selected information about the current computer system, derived from the structure (see uname(2)). In the second form, sets the node name (system name) that is used in the structure. Options recognizes the options listed below. If you enter several options, the output is always in the order shown for the option. none Equivalent to Display the options below in the following order, separated by blanks. Display the machine identification number (or the node name, if the machine identification number cannot be determined). This option cannot display the unique machine identification number. For getting the unique machine identification number refer to the command or call. See getconf(1)) and confstr(3C). Display the license level of the operating system. 128-, 256-, and unlimited-user licenses are shown as Display the machine hardware and model names. On Itanium(R)-based systems, this option always displays See Display the node name (system name) by which the system is usually known in a UUCP network. See Display the current release level of the operating system. Display the name of the operating system. On standard HP-UX systems, this option always displays Display the current version level of the operating system. Change the node name (system name) to nodename. nodename is restricted to characters (see uname(2)). See Only users with appropriate privileges can use the option. EXAMPLES
When you execute the command it produces output like the following: The displayed fields are interpreted as follows: The operating system name (option The UUCP network system name by which the system is known The operating system release identifier The operating system version identifier The machine and model numbers The machine identification number The operating system license level WARNINGS
It is recommended that the command or the command be used to obtain the model name, since future model names may not be compatible with See model(1) and getconf(1). Many types of networking services are supported on HP-UX, each of which uses a separately assigned system name and naming convention. To ensure predictable system behavior, it is essential that system names (also called host names or node names) be assigned in such a manner that they do not create conflicts when the various networking facilities interact with each other. The system does not rely on a single system name in a specific location, partly because different services use dissimilar name formats as explained below. The and commands assign system names as follows: +--------------+--------------+---------------+-----------------------+ |Node Name |Command |name Format |Used By | +--------------+--------------+---------------+-----------------------+ |Internet name |hostname name |sys[.x.y.z...] |ARPA and NFS Services | |UUCP name |uname -S name |sys |uucp, related programs | +--------------+--------------+---------------+-------- --------------+ where sys represents the assigned system name. It is recommended that sys be identical for all commands and locations and that the optional follow the specified notation for the particular ARPA/NFS environment. Internet names are also frequently called host names or domain names (which are different from NFS domain names). Refer to hostname(5) for more information about Internet naming conventions. Whenever the system name is changed in any file or by the use of any of the above commands, it should also be changed in all other loca- tions as well. Other files or commands in addition to those above (such as if used to circumvent for example) may contain or alter system names. To ensure correct operation, they should also use the same system name. System names are normally assigned by the script at start-up, and should not be altered elsewhere. Setting a nodename of more than 8 bytes is possible only with the appropriate configuration options enabled. It is strongly recommended that all related documentation be completely understood before setting a larger node name. A node name larger than 8 bytes can cause anomalous or incorrect behavior in applications which use the command or the system function to access the name. SEE ALSO
getconf(1), hostname(1), model(1), setuname(1M), gethostname(2), sethostname(2), uname(2), hostname(5), nodehostnamesize(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
uname(1)