Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Definitions/explanations
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Definitions/explanations Post 302334144 by Yogesh Sawant on Wednesday 15th of July 2009 01:43:37 AM
Old 07-15-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitsfan
And while I'm here: I was wondering as well how I access different sections of the manual - I've noticed there is an -S argument to the command 'man' but I don't know how to use it - I tried man [command] -S(number) and don't get anything.
is that what you were looking for?
Code:
man -S 1 ls

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Termcap Definitions

Hi. How do I enter and escape from graphics mode on RedHat Linux to capture escape sequences. I'm trying to edit the system termcap. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

ping program with explanations please!!!!!

need help!! need a ping program written in c with the explanations as to what each variable,function does!!! please help!! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin_zeus
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

function definitions file for bc

Hello, All :) ...I just figured out how to setup a function definitions file for bc...I was going to create lots more functions for it, but I'll bet that a huge file with tons of definitions has already been written...? Thanx in advance for any replies, Pudnik (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pudnik
0 Replies

4. AIX

/etc/subsync parms definitions ?

In our Cron table, we have the /etc/subsync client ipadr1 ipadr2 Each ipadr is an actual IP adress. I think it has something to do with synchronizing the clock between servers, but what is the ipadr2 for ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bashscript for learning definitions

Hi, I am a german lawstudent and have to learn a few hundred definitions and laws in the next months. I thought it would be cool to have a little helper, a bashscript which is working with flat textfiles. I found one in the archlinuxforum which was almost perfect...almost. It is on some point based... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phr0st
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sensors Explanations

Hello, I am trying to get some information from the sensors on my pc. But i get confuse with what i get. I don t know where to find out which sensors watches what.. I use "sensors" under ubuntu 10.10. Here is the result of the cmd line sudo sensors. the temp 3 indicates 79°C which... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mat_k
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need some explanations in commands

I want to know what's the meaning of the following commands first eg ^*a*e*i*o*u*$What does exactly the *a,*e,*i ...*$ means in this command? I know that i can also use this command without the *a,*e,*i ... *$! At this ocassion what's the difference? second eg sed ‘s/^/<tab>/’ file1In sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotsos13
2 Replies

8. Programming

I need some explanations

hello let me start with i am a php ,vb ,c# programmer i heared that Routers run a smaller version of linux called an Embedded Operating System i don't know what is that mean so i want to know how to get into router files ? how to edit it ? what language it use , is it c and c++ ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr.vip
1 Replies
whatis(1)							   User Commands							 whatis(1)

NAME
whatis - display a one-line summary about a keyword SYNOPSIS
whatis command... DESCRIPTION
whatis looks up a given command and displays the header line from the manual section. You can then run the man(1) command to get more information. If the line starts `name(section) ...' you can do `man -s section name' to get the documentation for it. Try `whatis ed' and then you should do `man -s 1 ed' to get the manual page for ed(1). whatis is actually just the -f option to the man(1) command. whatis uses the /usr/share/man/windex database. This database is created by catman(1M). If this database does not exist, whatis will fail. FILES
/usr/share/man/windex Table of contents and keyword database ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWdoc | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
apropos(1), man(1), catman(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Sep 1992 whatis(1)