Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Merge lines in a file with Awk - incorrect output Post 302333884 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 09:04:53 AM
Old 07-14-2009
Code:
nawk 'NF{cnt++}ORS=(cnt%3)?", ":RS'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Merge Fields for Print Output

I've got a file with each record on a separate line and each record contains 34 fields separated by a colon and i'm trying to re-arrange the order of the fields and merge together certain fields separated by a slash (like field7/field28). I tried using an awk print statement like awk -F: 'BEGIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk : deleting specific incorrect lines

Hello friends, I searched in forums for similar threads but what I want is to have a single awk code to perform followings; I have a big log file going like this; ... 7450494 1724465 -47 003A98B710C0 7450492 1724461 -69 003A98B710C0 7450488 1724459 001DA1915B70 trafo_14:3 7450482... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: enes71
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: How to merge duplicate lines and print in a single

The input file: >cat module1 200611051053 95 200523457498 35 200617890187 57 200726098123 66 200645676712 71 200744556590 68 >cat module2 200645676712 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: winter9
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file comparison, x lines after matching as output

Hello, I couldn't find anything on the Forum that would help me to solve this problem. Could any body help me process below data using awk? I have got two files: file1: Worker1: Thomas Position: Manager Department: Sales Salary: $5,000 Worker2: Jason Position: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: killerbee
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge multiple lines in same file with common key using awk

I've been a Unix admin for nearly 30 years and never learned AWK. I've seen several similar posts here, but haven't been able to adapt the answers to my situation. AWK is so damn cryptic! ;) I have a single file with ~900 lines (CSV list). Each line starts with an ID, but with different stuff... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: protosd
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find duplicates in column 1 and merge their lines (awk?)

Hi, I have a file (sorted by sort) with 8 tab delimited columns. The first column contains duplicated fields and I need to merge all these identical lines. My input file: comp100002 aaa bbb ccc ddd eee fff ggg comp100003 aba aba aba aba aba aba aba comp100003 fff fff fff fff fff fff fff... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: falcox
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ID incorrect field values in dat file and output to new file

Hi All I have a .dat file, the values are seperated by ". I wish to identify all field values in field 14 that are not '01-APR-2013' band then copy those records to a new file. Can anyone suggest the UNIX command required. Thanks in advance Andy (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aurum1313
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Df -h | awk - output incorrect matching

Running solaris 9, on issuing the follwing command df -h | awk '$5 > 45 {print}' Filesystems with utilisation > 45% are being displayed as well as those between 5 and-9%!!! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

E-mail Output Merge Lines for Some Text..

Hi all. This is the content of the text file used for the e-mail: TM ICP-EDW BILLING REGISTER USAGE BREAKDOWN_01062014.csv TM_ICP_EDWH_FICL_13062014.TXT TM_ICP_EDWH_FICL_16062014.TXT TM_ICP_EDW_Detailed Payment Journal Report_13062014.txt TM_ICP_EDW_Detailed Payment Journal... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aimy
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to add lines with symbol to output file

In the awk below which does execute I get output that is close, except for all the lines that start with a # are removed. Some lines have one others two or three and after the script adds the ID= to the fields below the pattern in the awk, I can not seem to add the # lines back to the output. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
5 Replies
PCAP_LOOP(3PCAP)														  PCAP_LOOP(3PCAP)

NAME
pcap_loop, pcap_dispatch - process packets from a live capture or savefile SYNOPSIS
#include <pcap/pcap.h> typedef void (*pcap_handler)(u_char *user, const struct pcap_pkthdr *h, const u_char *bytes); int pcap_loop(pcap_t *p, int cnt, pcap_handler callback, u_char *user); int pcap_dispatch(pcap_t *p, int cnt, pcap_handler callback, u_char *user); DESCRIPTION
pcap_loop() processes packets from a live capture or ``savefile'' until cnt packets are processed, the end of the ``savefile'' is reached when reading from a ``savefile'', pcap_breakloop() is called, or an error occurs. It does not return when live read timeouts occur. A value of -1 or 0 for cnt is equivalent to infinity, so that packets are processed until another ending condition occurs. pcap_dispatch() processes packets from a live capture or ``savefile'' until cnt packets are processed, the end of the current bufferful of packets is reached when doing a live capture, the end of the ``savefile'' is reached when reading from a ``savefile'', pcap_breakloop() is called, or an error occurs. Thus, when doing a live capture, cnt is the maximum number of packets to process before returning, but is not a minimum number; when reading a live capture, only one bufferful of packets is read at a time, so fewer than cnt packets may be processed. A value of -1 or 0 for cnt causes all the packets received in one buffer to be processed when reading a live capture, and causes all the packets in the file to be processed when reading a ``savefile''. (In older versions of libpcap, the behavior when cnt was 0 was undefined; different platforms and devices behaved differently, so code that must work with older versions of libpcap should use -1, nor 0, as the value of cnt.) callback specifies a pcap_handler routine to be called with three arguments: a u_char pointer which is passed in the user argument to pcap_loop() or pcap_dispatch(), a const struct pcap_pkthdr pointer pointing to the packet time stamp and lengths, and a const u_char pointer to the first caplen (as given in the struct pcap_pkthdr a pointer to which is passed to the callback routine) bytes of data from the packet. The struct pcap_pkthdr and the packet data are not to be freed by the callback routine, and are not guaranteed to be valid after the callback routine returns; if the code needs them to be valid after the callback, it must make a copy of them. RETURN VALUE
pcap_loop() returns 0 if cnt is exhausted, -1 if an error occurs, or -2 if the loop terminated due to a call to pcap_breakloop() before any packets were processed. It does not return when live read timeouts occur; instead, it attempts to read more packets. pcap_dispatch() returns the number of packets processed on success; this can be 0 if no packets were read from a live capture (if, for example, they were discarded because they didn't pass the packet filter, or if, on platforms that support a read timeout that starts before any packets arrive, the timeout expires before any packets arrive, or if the file descriptor for the capture device is in non-blocking mode and no packets were available to be read) or if no more packets are available in a ``savefile.'' It returns -1 if an error occurs or -2 if the loop terminated due to a call to pcap_breakloop() before any packets were processed. If your application uses pcap_breakloop(), make sure that you explicitly check for -1 and -2, rather than just checking for a return value < 0. If -1 is returned, pcap_geterr() or pcap_perror() may be called with p as an argument to fetch or display the error text. SEE ALSO
pcap(3PCAP), pcap_geterr(3PCAP), pcap_breakloop(3PCAP) 24 December 2008 PCAP_LOOP(3PCAP)