Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Is nice command a myth?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Is nice command a myth? Post 302333821 by bakunin on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 06:21:42 AM
Old 07-14-2009
Jim is absolutely correct. Additionally keep in mind that priorities are relative numbers. There are only so many CPU ticks to distribute among processes and if every process has a high priority then every one might get the same amount as if every process has a low priority, as far as these priorities are equal.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

nice (user command)

Can someone tell me .. how to find a user & process who has executed nice (scheduled priority) to one of his process. .Tks.. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivan
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process nice level command line vs cron

Under, Solaris 10 I have the following problem: A script executed at command line runs with nice level 0, as expected. Same script started under (user) crontab runs with nice level 2. I would prefer it run at 0. Is this possible? If so, how? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: henrydark
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is ‘nice’ command useful on a multi-CPU UNIX system?

Can someone tell me this. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xoxouu
1 Replies

4. Programming

nice command and nice() system call

Hi I want to implement the nice command in the shell that I am building. I came to know that there is a corresponding nice() system call for the same. But since I will be forking different processes to run different commands typed on the command prompt, is there any way I can make a command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tejbuch
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The nice command

hello everybody: I have some job running on tru64 system and Im the root, due to limited resources I end up with my job ( vdump) for example taking the lowest share, I researched the nice command on the net, but couldnt get enough info, can I use it to already running process or I only use it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aladdin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Call Nice command (priority) from /bin/ksh

Hello, I am just starting with shell scripting, as everyone will soon see from my question. What I'm trying to do is call the Nice command to set the script process priority from /bin/ksh. The difference is I'm running it not directly through the shell, but through Bigfix (very similar to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solly119
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use nice command?

Dear Friends, I have a directory when i take du of that directory it takes alot of memory and cpu and I/O, i want to use nice to run my script that have du command slowly so it won't take I/O and cpu, please suggest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
6 Replies

8. BSD

Very high nice percentage in top command

Hello Folks, Recently our FreeBSD 7.1 i386 system became very sluggish. Nothing much is happening over there & whatever is running takes eternity to complete. All the troubleshooting hinted towards a very high nice percentage. Can that be the culprit? Pasting snippets of top command,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wall command with nice text formatting

with using wall command, how can i have a carriage return in my broadcast message. i try to broadcast from a file, i were to use "cat myfile | wall" for broadcasting. but when the message broadcast somehow the format run away. this the text in my file: line 1 line 2 line 3 when broadcast ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
3 Replies
RTPRIO(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 RTPRIO(2)

NAME
rtprio -- examine or modify a process realtime or idle priority LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/rtprio.h> int rtprio(int function, pid_t pid, struct rtprio *rtp); DESCRIPTION
The rtprio() system call is used to lookup or change the realtime or idle priority of a process. The function argument specifies the operation to be performed. RTP_LOOKUP to lookup the current priority, and RTP_SET to set the priority. The pid argument specifies the process to be used, 0 for the current process. The *rtp argument is a pointer to a struct rtprio which is used to specify the priority and priority type. This structure has the following form: struct rtprio { u_short type; u_short prio; }; The value of the type field may be RTP_PRIO_REALTIME for realtime priorities, RTP_PRIO_NORMAL for normal priorities, and RTP_PRIO_IDLE for idle priorities. The priority specified by the prio field ranges between 0 and RTP_PRIO_MAX (usually 31). 0 is the highest possible prior- ity. Realtime and idle priority is inherited through fork() and exec(). A realtime process can only be preempted by a process of equal or higher priority, or by an interrupt; idle priority processes will run only when no other real/normal priority process is runnable. Higher real/idle priority processes preempt lower real/idle priority processes. Processes of equal real/idle priority are run round-robin. RETURN VALUES
The rtprio() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
The rtprio() system call will fail if [EINVAL] The specified prio was out of range. [EPERM] The calling process is not allowed to set the realtime priority. Only root is allowed to change the realtime priority of any process, and non-root may only change the idle priority of the current process. [ESRCH] The specified process was not found. SEE ALSO
nice(1), ps(1), rtprio(1), setpriority(2), nice(3), renice(8) AUTHORS
The original author was Henrik Vestergaard Draboel <hvd@terry.ping.dk>. This implementation in FreeBSD was substantially rewritten by David Greenman. BSD
July 23, 1994 BSD