Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using sed to comment out line in /etc/vfstab Post 302333731 by deaconf19 on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 02:29:21 AM
Old 07-14-2009
never mind I got my for inserting it into the vfstab

Code:
sed -i 's|\(^/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7\)|#\1|' /etc/vfstab

how do I reverse the code now?
Code:
sed -i 's|\(^#/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s7\)|\1|' /etc/vfstab

---------- Post updated at 01:29 AM ---------- Previous update was at 01:28 AM ----------

do a more /etc/vfstab and it is not commented it. It appears to be not sure why

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk to insert comment at defined line number

Hi there, may someone easily help me on this : I want to insert a text in a specific line number like : linenumb2start=`cat memory_map.dld | nl -ba | egrep -i "label" | cut -f1` line2insert=`expr $linenumb2start + 2` and now I need to replace something like {} with {comment} at... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: homefp
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to replace a text of line with a comment line

I want to replace this line : "test compare visible] true" and make it "#test compare visible] true". How can I do it ? And it should be checked in many sub folder files also. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.b
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get rid of xml comment by grep or sed

Hi, I would like to get rid of all comment in an xml file by grep or sed command: The content seem like this: <!-- ab cd ef gh ij kl --> Anyone can help? Thanks and Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RonLii
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help using SED to comment XML elements

I'm trying to write a script to help automate some VERY tedious manual tasks. I have groups of fairly large XML files (~3mb+) that I need to edit. I need to look through the files and parse the XML looking for a certain flag contained in a field. If I find this flag (an integer value) I need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Hon
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How To comment a line where a word exists

Hi All Can u help me.. My problem is comment (#) a line where a word exists in that line sample: cat /tmp/file.txt monitor 192.168.1.11 Copying files in current directory 1 monitor 192.168.1.1 Copying files in current directory 2 monitor 192.168.1.12 Copying files in current... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darren_j
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove line from /etc/vfstab using shell / perl

Hi, could someone help me on this i want to remove line from /etc/vfstab in the system how to do that it is rite now like this /dev/vx/dsk/appdg1/mytestvol /dev/vx/rdsk/appdg1/mytestvol /mytest vxfs 3 no largefiles /dev/vx/dsk/appdg1/mytestvol1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunn.dubeyy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comment a line with SED

I have around 25 hosts and each hosts has 4 instance of jboss and 4 different ip attached to it . I need to make some changes to the startup scripts. Any tips appreciated. I have total of 100 instances which bind to 100 different ip address based on instance name. For example File1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed adding/removing comment in crontab

I have a requirement where I want to add a comment '#' in my crontab, run a process, than remove the '#' I added. Example cron #5,10 * * * * ls -lt /tmp 10,5 * * * * ls -lt /var I would like to be able use sed or awk to add a '#' at the begining of each line. After the command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment a line of the patterns is a the beginning of the line

I need to comment the lines starting with pattern "exclude" or "exclude=". If the work exclude comes at any other part, ignore it. Also, ignore, excludes, excluded etc. Ie only comment the line starting with exclude. File contents. exclude exclude= hi I am excluded excludes excludes= ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
9 Replies

10. AIX

Comment out crontab using sed command

I am trying to comment out the crontab entries using sed. I want to comment it out for a particular environment say '/mypath/scripts/'. Using the full path as pattern, it is working. but using variable it is not working. i have tried double quotes too. but no luck! $ crontab -l ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SKhan
3 Replies
KILLALL(1)							   User Commands							KILLALL(1)

NAME
killall - kill processes by name SYNOPSIS
killall [-Z,--context pattern] [-e,--exact] [-g,--process-group] [-i,--interactive] [-q,--quiet] [-r,--regexp] [-s,--signal signal] [-u,--user user] [-v,--verbose] [-w,--wait] [-I,--ignore-case] [-V,--version] [--] name ... killall -l killall -V,--version DESCRIPTION
killall sends a signal to all processes running any of the specified commands. If no signal name is specified, SIGTERM is sent. Signals can be specified either by name (e.g. -HUP or -SIGHUP ) or by number (e.g. -1) or by option -s. If the command name is not regular expression (option -r) and contains a slash (/), processes executing that particular file will be selected for killing, independent of their name. killall returns a zero return code if at least one process has been killed for each listed command, or no commands were listed and at least one process matched the -u and -Z search criteria. killall returns non-zero otherwise. A killall process never kills itself (but may kill other killall processes). OPTIONS
-e, --exact Require an exact match for very long names. If a command name is longer than 15 characters, the full name may be unavailable (i.e. it is swapped out). In this case, killall will kill everything that matches within the first 15 characters. With -e, such entries are skipped. killall prints a message for each skipped entry if -v is specified in addition to -e, -I, --ignore-case Do case insensitive process name match. -g, --process-group Kill the process group to which the process belongs. The kill signal is only sent once per group, even if multiple processes belong- ing to the same process group were found. -i, --interactive Interactively ask for confirmation before killing. -l, --list List all known signal names. -q, --quiet Do not complain if no processes were killed. -r, --regexp Interpret process name pattern as an extended regular expression. -s, --signal Send this signal instead of SIGTERM. -u, --user Kill only processes the specified user owns. Command names are optional. -v, --verbose Report if the signal was successfully sent. -V, --version Display version information. -w, --wait Wait for all killed processes to die. killall checks once per second if any of the killed processes still exist and only returns if none are left. Note that killall may wait forever if the signal was ignored, had no effect, or if the process stays in zombie state. -Z, --context (SELinux Only) Specify security context: kill only processes having security context that match with given expended regular expres- sion pattern. Must precede other arguments on the command line. Command names are optional. FILES
/proc location of the proc file system KNOWN BUGS
Killing by file only works for executables that are kept open during execution, i.e. impure executables can't be killed this way. Be warned that typing killall name may not have the desired effect on non-Linux systems, especially when done by a privileged user. killall -w doesn't detect if a process disappears and is replaced by a new process with the same PID between scans. If processes change their name, killall may not be able to match them correctly. AUTHORS
Werner Almesberger <werner@almesberger.net> wrote the original version of psmisc. Since version 20 Craig Small <csmall@small.drop- bear.id.au> can be blamed. SEE ALSO
kill(1), fuser(1), pgrep(1), pidof(1), pkill(1), ps(1), kill(2). Linux 2007-08-09 KILLALL(1)