Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Installed memory ≠ usable size? Post 302333608 by CRGreathouse on Monday 13th of July 2009 01:34:32 PM
Old 07-13-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by otheus
Where do you get this idea? Most video controllers use system memory.
That's not what I'm talking about. This is memory that would show up as used, not memory that would fail to show up.

I'm talking about the "memory barrier":
Ask Dan: What's with the 3Gb memory barrier?
TabBlogger : The 3GB-not-4GB RAM problem
which is caused by addressing space being used, not for memory, but for an external resource. This does *not* affect systems with actual memory + resources <= addressing space.

A 32-bit system with a 512 MB of hardware resources* and 2048 MB of memory can use 2048 MB of memory.

A 32-bit system with a 512 MB of hardware resources* and 4096 MB of memory can use 3584 MB of memory.

* PCI, BIOS, etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get amount of memory installed.

Hi! I'm not a UNIX fanatic but I like using it for the Oracle database since it's not stable in the Windows NT environment (what is?). Problem: Is there any command to show me the amount of installed physical-memory in the machine? Is there some other way to show the processes which uses... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elgholm
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of Installed RAM ?

Is it possible from the command line, or by looking at one of the log files to find out the amount of RAM installed on my SCO Unix 5.05 Server? I also need to find out H/Disk size and Processor speed but I think i'll do a search of the forums for those ones. Thanks RamblasPro (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RamblasPro
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

memory size under AIX

Hi, how to know size of physical memory under AIX ? Many thanks. PS : man -k memory man : 0703-310 Fichier man introuvable. uname -a AIX server1 1 5 005202DF4C00 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

User perl to get memory installed in a machine

I currently have a statistics gathering script i run on my Linux servers. One of the stat i gather is total memory in the machine. The script is all perl with the exception of gathering the memory for that i use the following command: $ram = (`cat /proc/meminfo | grep "MemTotal" | awk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: insania
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Out of Memory error when free memory size is large

I was running a program and it stopped and showed "Out of Memory!". at that time, the RAM used by this process is around 4G and the free memory size of the machine is around 30G. Does anybody know what maybe the reason? this program is written with Perl. the OS of the machine is Solaris U8. And I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lilili07
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Memory or CPU size

Is there a command or file I can look at that tells me how much real memory a machine has? A little background. In my shop we run a bunch of java programs, sometimes some of these jobs have config definitions that call for 2G. I would like to know how many I can run before I exhaust rescources. Any... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting file size from memory

i want to avoid writing to a file on the disk. i'd like to do this in memory. i have a situation where i'm running cat file.txt | head -l 2024 > /tmp/data.txt now, i check the size of the data.txt by doing a "du -sh /tmp/data.txt how can i get the size of "head -l 2024" WITHOUT having to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. Solaris

T5220 How to determine physical memory installed?

Hi, looking to upgrade memory on a pair of T5220's from 32GB to 64GB. Cannot determine current DIMM size and slots used. i.e. not sure if Qty 16 x 2GB or Qty 8 x 4GB. If there are no empty slots, i need to go with higher density DIMMs and retire exsisting the 2GB prtdiag follows. #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: edrew
3 Replies

9. Programming

Size of memory used by a program

Hello, Here is a portion of my code: a=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); b=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); c=(int *) malloc(dim*dim*sizeof(int)); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) c= rand(); for(i=0;i<dim;i++) for(j=0;j<dim;j++) b=rand(); ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
6 Replies

10. AIX

Installed Memory 32GB but shows only 16GB

Hello facing this problem in VIOS installed memory shows 32GB Installed system memory: 32 GB (32768 MB) Configurable system memory: 16 GB (16384 MB) Current memory available: 2.23 GB (2288 MB) Pending memory available: 2.23 GB (2288 MB) Reserved firmware memory: 560 MB ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
8 Replies
MEMBAR_OPS(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     MEMBAR_OPS(3)

NAME
membar_ops, membar_enter, membar_exit, membar_producer, membar_consumer, membar_sync -- memory access barrier operations SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/atomic.h> void membar_enter(void); void membar_exit(void); void membar_producer(void); void membar_consumer(void); void membar_sync(void); DESCRIPTION
The membar_ops family of functions provide memory access barrier operations necessary for synchronization in multiprocessor execution envi- ronments that have relaxed load and store order. membar_enter() Any store preceding membar_enter() will reach global visibility before all loads and stores following it. membar_enter() is typically used in code that implements locking primitives to ensure that a lock protects its data. membar_exit() All loads and stores preceding membar_exit() will reach global visibility before any store that follows it. membar_exit() is typically used in code that implements locking primitives to ensure that a lock protects its data. membar_producer() All stores preceding the memory barrier will reach global visibility before any stores after the memory barrier reach global visibility. membar_consumer() All loads preceding the memory barrier will complete before any loads after the memory barrier complete. membar_sync() All loads and stores preceding the memory barrier will complete and reach global visibility before any loads and stores after the memory barrier complete and reach global visibility. SEE ALSO
atomic_ops(3) HISTORY
The membar_ops functions first appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BSD
February 11, 2007 BSD