Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split strings based on length Post 302333462 by my_Perl on Tuesday 14th of July 2009 02:11:07 AM
Old 07-14-2009
Thanks for the reply. However, when I run it , it has gone to INFINITE loop. Also, please help me on how to read the input from a FILE and write the output into a FILE of the same format.

---------- Post updated 07-14-09 at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous update was 07-13-09 at 05:26 AM ----------

Thanks. It's working fine. I need help to modify above script for strings in utf8 format.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need find a file based length

Can some please help me? Want to find files over 35 characters in length? I am running HPUX. Would it be possible with find? Thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: J_ang
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to sort strings by length?

I'm trying to find the longest word in /usr/share/dict/words The first thing I can think of is to sort the content by length then it would be easy to find out, but then i realize theres no option of sort to sort by length. Could you guys please give me some help?:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockbike
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove strings of lowercase characters (with minimum length requirement)

Hi all, I want to delete all lowercase characters from my file, but only strings of length 7 and more. For example, how can I go from: JHGEFigeIGDUIirfyfiyhgfoiyfKJHGuioyrDHG To: JHGEFigeIGDUIKJHGuioyrDHG There should be a trick to add to sed 's///g', but I can't figure it out.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elbuzzo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace strings based on position and length?

Suppose i have a file which contains thousands of records. e.g adjgmptjadmwpgjmwmd i need to replace the string from 3rd to 8th position using awk script in entire file. And also the positions will be passed as parameter. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split strings

Hello I started to learn bash about 1 or 2 weeks, please help me. I have about 200000 strings like these: ATGCCAGGGGAGCCCAGAAGGTAAAACTTGATCTGAAATGTATGTTTATATATAATTTAGGTAATCAATTGGCATGTGAA and I need to split each letter to get: A T G C C A G G G G A G C C C A G A A G G T A A A A C T T... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: geparada88
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a fixed length file bases on last occurence of string

Hi, I need to split a file based on last occurece of a string. PFB the explanation I have a file in following format aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb ccccccccccccccccccccccccccc ddddddddddddddddddddddddddd 3186rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelkanth
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to sum a column based on duplicate strings in another column and show split totals

Hi, I have a similar input format- A_1 2 B_0 4 A_1 1 B_2 5 A_4 1 and looking to print in this output format with headers. can you suggest in awk?awk because i am doing some pattern matching from parent file to print column 1 of my input using awk already.Thanks! letter number_of_letters... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashob123
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split certain strings in a line for a specific column.

Hi, i need help to extract certain strings/words from lines with different length. I have 3 columns separated by tab delimiter. like below Probable arabinan endo-1,5-alpha-L-arabinosidase A (EC 3.2.1.99) (Endo-1,5-alpha-L-arabinanase A) (ABN A) abnA Ady3G14620 Probable arabinan... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 0's based on length

I'm having data like this, "8955719","186497034","0001","M","3" "8955719","186497034","0002","M","10" "8955719","186497034","0003","M","10" "8955719","186497034","0004","M","3" "8955723","186499034","0001","M","3" "8955723","186499034","0002","M","10" "8955723","186499034","0003","M","10"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Artlk
3 Replies
URI::Split(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     URI::Split(3)

NAME
URI::Split - Parse and compose URI strings SYNOPSIS
use URI::Split qw(uri_split uri_join); ($scheme, $auth, $path, $query, $frag) = uri_split($uri); $uri = uri_join($scheme, $auth, $path, $query, $frag); DESCRIPTION
Provides functions to parse and compose URI strings. The following functions are provided: ($scheme, $auth, $path, $query, $frag) = uri_split($uri) Breaks up a URI string into its component parts. An "undef" value is returned for those parts that are not present. The $path part is always present (but can be the empty string) and is thus never returned as "undef". No sensible value is returned if this function is called in a scalar context. $uri = uri_join($scheme, $auth, $path, $query, $frag) Puts together a URI string from its parts. Missing parts are signaled by passing "undef" for the corresponding argument. Minimal escaping is applied to parts that contain reserved chars that would confuse a parser. For instance, any occurrence of '?' or '#' in $path is always escaped, as it would otherwise be parsed back as a query or fragment. SEE ALSO
URI, URI::Escape COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003, Gisle Aas This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2008-04-04 URI::Split(3)