Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find Directory from array of file names with paths Post 302332449 by zaxxon on Thursday 9th of July 2009 06:53:06 AM
Old 07-09-2009
At first: Use CODE-tags when posting code, data or logs for better readability, ty.

No idea what GIS is.

Anyway as a start:

Code:
$> VAR=/Users/myuser/Documents/MemSVC_5493/MemSVC.html
$> cd ${VAR%/*}

If you want to write the new file with the same name as the current directory you can use something like
Code:
$> VAR2=/Users/myuser/Documents/MemSVC_5493
$> echo ${VAR2##*/}
MemSVC_5493

If you want to use the current path as filename, I would change the slashes vs. underscores maybe.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find the length of file names in a directory?

Hi, how can find length of file names in a directory. Examp: I have a directory with name "d1". directory: d1 files: aaa.log bbb.log abcd.log abcdef.log I wold like out put like: file name legnth aaa.log 3 bbb.log 3 abcd.log 4 abcdef.log 5 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

2. AIX

find for specific content in file in the directory and list only file names

Hi, I am trying to find the content of file using grep and find command and list only the file names but i am getting entire file list of files in the directory find . -exec grep "test" {} \; -ls Can anyone of you correct this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu_Jagarapu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use mimesender to send attachments with spaces in the file names / paths

Hello, I found the mimesender multiple attachment emailing shell script in the FAQ of these forums, and I have been able to use it to send multiple files, but only if they don't have spaces in their file name or path. When I attempt to send a file with spaces in it's name, enclosed... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsmorra
0 Replies

4. Solaris

find home directory paths for all users

How to find al the user's home directories? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for file names in a directory while ignoring certain file names

Sun Solaris Unix Question Haven't been able to find any solution for this situation. Let's just say the file names listed below exist in a directory. I want the find command to find all files in this directory but at the same time I want to eliminate certain file names or files with certain... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2reperry
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store files names from a directory to an array

Hi I want to store the file names into an array. I have written like this but I am getting error. declare -A arr_Filenames ls -l *.log | set -A arr_Filenames $(awk '{print $9}') index=0 while (( $index < ${#arr_Filenames })); do Current_Filename=${arr_Filenames} ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dgmm
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find the file names having specified pattern at specified position in the current directory

I would need a command for finding first 15000 of the file names whose 25th postion is 5 in the current directory alone. I do have this painful command find . -name '5*' | head -15000 | cut -c3- please refine this. Of course the above command also searches in the sub directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vk39221
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find empty files in a directory and write their file names in a text?

I need to find empty files in a directory and write them into a text file. Directory will contain old files as well, i need to get the empty files for the last one hour only. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading directory paths with spaces from a file

Hi I want to know how to handle the spaces in the below scenario. I have a file (CON_zip_path_1.txt) which has some directory paths with spaces in directory names . My requirement is to unzip these zip files to another path. Please see the code below and the error. CON_zip_path_1.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paul1234
4 Replies
which(1)							   User Commands							  which(1)

NAME
which - locate a command and display its pathname or alias SYNOPSIS
which [name]... DESCRIPTION
which takes a list of names and determines which alias or utility would be executed had these names been given as commands. For each name operand, if it names an alias the alias is expanded. Otherwise the user's path is searched for a utility name matching name. Aliases are taken from the user's .cshrc file. path is taken from the current shell execution environment. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: name The name of a command to be located. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 One or more name operands were not located or an error occurred. FILES
~/.cshrc source of aliases and path values ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
A diagnostic is given for names which are aliased to more than a single word, or if an executable file with the argument name was not found in the path. NOTES
The which utility is not a shell built-in command. BUGS
To compensate for ~/.cshrc files in which aliases depend upon the prompt variable being set, which sets this variable to NULL. If the ~/.cshrc produces output or prompts for input when prompt is set, which can produce some strange results. SunOS 5.11 30 Mar 2005 which(1)