Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $ variable resolution problem Post 302332434 by krishmaths on Thursday 9th of July 2009 06:05:17 AM
Old 07-09-2009
Thanks a lot! Using eval in front of touch worked.

Can you please explain the use of eval in this context?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Resolution..??

When i start my pc after the installation of suse linux it ask me for resolution but not for graphical interface, for console, can i run a command to change it again? Thanx! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux_fan
3 Replies

2. IP Networking

Problem with name resolution?

I have an AIX4.3 box on our subnet, called LIMEST3.OURDOMAIN.CO.UK, with IP address 10.103.1.13 It has the following entry in its own /etc/hosts: 10.103.1.13 limest3 limest3.ourdomain.co.uk Now, if I ping limest3.ourdomain.co.uk or ping 10.103.1.13, the result is instant. However if I ping... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimbleshanks
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Screen Resolution problem on Ultra 10 with Solaris 10

Hi, I have a Sun Ultra 10 (SPARC) with Solaris 10 installed. The screen resolution is very poor and grainy which I have been unable to rectify. Every time I try to set the resolution I get the following: 'The XServer does not support the XRandR extension. Runtime resolution changes to the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: patcom
5 Replies

4. Debian

Change resolution problem

Hi gurus I have notebook with connected external monitor. output of my xrandr looks like Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2960 x 1050, maximum 2960 x 1050 VGA connected 1680x1050+1280+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 478mm x 300mm 1680x1050 60.0*+ 1280x1024 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
2 Replies

5. Solaris

OpenWindows display resolution problem

Hi all! On my SPARC mashine I have changed the screen resolution from default to: output-device screen r1024x768x75, because the OBP picture too big (e.g. Sun Logo and OBP text). Now, after the system booting I have the problem with OpenWindows picture (e.g. the window manager does not display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a variable withing a variable

hello there, basically im screwed with a variable that should take the last modification date of a file. my code is fileCreationTime=$(( `ls -l $fileName | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f6` )) my problem arise coz when the code is executed and stored in a file the return value is 1993 and not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurft
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning value to variable have value fo other variable

my script is some thing like this i11="{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,}" echo "enter value" read value ..............suppose i11 x="$value" echo "$($value)" .............the echo should be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,} but its showing "i11" only. plz help me out to get desired... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
10 Replies

8. Debian

Xorg resolution/display size problem

Hello, I am running Debian 6.0 on a Sun Ultra 5 and the openbox window manager. The window is way larger than the screen and minimized icons go off the screen and I can't get them back. The mode is set to 1280x1024 in the Screen section of xorg.conf and Virtual is also set to 1280x1024 which is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Screen Resolution Persistence Problem: RHEL 6.3

Good morning everyone, I have been having screen resolution issues with RHEL 6.3. Our current setup is a laptop connected to a KVM/IP server. This is the desired scenario: RHEL laptop Windows XP laptop KVM/IP server The RHEL laptop has the file /etc/gdm/Init/Default populated with... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rchaud10
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable resolution in File content

I have a file File1 containing lines like below apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color banana ${FRUIT}-Color Now, in my shell I'm reading the file like below while read FRUIT DESC; do echo $FRUIT $DESC; done < File1 which outputs - apple ${FRUIT}-Color orange ${FRUIT}-Color... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nexional
3 Replies
ERR(3)							     Library Functions Manual							    ERR(3)

NAME
err, verr , errx , verrx , warn , vwarn , warnx , vwarnx - formatted error messages SYNOPSIS
void err(eval, fmt, ...) int eval; char *fmt; void verr(eval, fmt, args) int eval; char *fmt; va_list args; void errx(eval, fmt, ...) int eval; char *fmt; void verrx(eval, fmt, args) int eval char *fmt; va_list args; void warn(fmt, ...) char *fmt; void vwarn(fmt, args) char *fmt; va_list args; void warnx(fmt, ...) char *fmt; void vwarnx(fmt, args) char *fmt; va_list args; DESCRIPTION
The err and warn family of functions display a formatted error message on the standard error output. In all cases, the last component of the program name, a colon character, and a space are output. If the fmt argument is not NULL, the formatted error message, a colon charac- ter, and a space are output. In the case of the err, verr, warn, and vwarn functions, the error message string affiliated with the current value of the global variable errno is output. In all cases, the output is followed by a newline character. The err, verr, errx, and verrx functions do not return, but exit with the value of the argument eval. EXAMPLES
Display the current errno information string and exit: if ((p = malloc(size)) == NULL) err(1, NULL); if ((fd = open(file_name, O_RDONLY, 0)) == -1) err(1, "%s", file_name); Display an error message and exit: if (tm.tm_hour < START_TIME) errx(1, "too early, wait until %s", start_time_string); Warn of an error: if ((fd = open(raw_device, O_RDONLY, 0)) == -1) warnx("%s: %s: trying the block device", raw_device, strerror(errno)); if ((fd = open(block_device, O_RDONLY, 0)) == -1) err(1, "%s", block_device); SEE ALSO
strerror(3) HISTORY
The err and warn functions first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4th Berkeley Distribution February 3, 1995 ERR(3)