Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to remove words between /* and */ in several lines of file Post 302332361 by spc432 on Thursday 9th of July 2009 12:24:39 AM
Old 07-09-2009
how to remove words between /* and */ in several lines of file

hi,
I want to remove comments in somany files. coments started from /* and ends with */. so i wnt to remove words /* to */
how to remove words between /* and */ in several lines of file

EX :
cat haha.txt
"HI",/*hk*/ob1,raju,/*hjh*/boju,beeju
output should be : "HI",ob1,raju,boju,beeju

I tried like below way :

cat haha.txt | sed -e 's:/*.*/::'

but output is coming : boju,beeju

Please help me ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore some lines with specific words from file comparison

Hi all, I need help in doing this scenario. I have two files with multiple lines. I want to compare these two files but ignoring the lines which have words like Tran, Loc, Addr, Charge. Also if i have a word Credit in line, i want to tokenize (i.e string after character " ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remove words from file

Hello, I have a question: I have two different files, let's call them file1 and file2. file1 contains a list of words, the words are on seperate lines: word1 word2 word3 word4 etc... file2 also contains a list of words, seperated in the same way as file1. What I want to do is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Beeser
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove words beginning with a certain character from a file

Hi, how could you go about removing words that begin with a certain character. assuming that this character is '-' I currently have echo "-hello" | sed s/-/""/ which replaces the leading dash with nothing but I want to remove the whole word, even if there are multiple words beginning... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinnygav
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursively Grep particular words among lines from a file

dear experts, Could you please help me to write a command/script to find follwing: from the log file i want to grep "resCode89270200100001552311" after that only "<resultCode>40614</resultCode>" it will be like that: resCode89270200100001552311 <resultCode>40614</resultCode> ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to parse lines in a file into two words and assign the values to two variables

For example, I have a file with below lines containing VOB tags and VOB paths. * /vobs/fts/FTSUSM20_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/eml/FTSUSM20_VOB * /vobs/fts/FTS20_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/eml/FTS20_VOB * /vobs/pmv/PMS_VOB /ccvobsslx01/projects/vobs/cpm/_/PMS_VOB *... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: senthilkc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines from file

Hey Gang- I have a list of servers. I want to exclude servers that begin with and end with certain characters. Is there an easy command to do this? Example wvm1234dev wvm1234pro uvm1122dev uvm1122bku uvm1344dev I want to exclude any lines that start with "wvm" OR "uvm" AND end... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: idiotboy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract lines with specific words with addition 2 lines before and after

Dear all, Greetings. I would like to ask for your help to extract lines with specific words in addition 2 lines before and after these lines by using awk or sed. For example, the input file is: 1 ak1 abc1.0 1 ak2 abc1.0 1 ak3 abc1.0 1 ak4 abc1.0 1 ak5 abc1.1 1 ak6 abc1.1 1 ak7... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amanda Low
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to remove all lines but not latest 50 lines from a file

Hi, I have a huge file which has Lacs of lines. File system got full. I want your guys help to suggest me a solution so that I can remove all lines from that file but not last 50,000 lines. I want solution which can remove lines from existing file so that I can have some space left with. (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
28 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines that are subsets of other lines in File

Hello everyone, Although it seems easy, I've been stuck with this problem for a moment now and I can't figure out a way to get it done. My problem is the following: I have a file where each line is a sequence of IP addresses, example : 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2 10.0.0.5 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MisterJellyBean
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter all the lines with minimum specified length of words of a text file

Hi Can someone tell me which script will work best (in terms of speed and simplicity to write and run) for a large text file to filter all the lines with a minimum specified length of words ? A sample script with be definitely of great help !!! Thanks in advance. :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Text::ParseWords(3perl)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 Text::ParseWords(3perl)