Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RedHat Linux Automatic Updates Post 302332218 by mark54g on Wednesday 8th of July 2009 10:49:43 AM
Old 07-08-2009
Yes, that was the point was that the RHN Satellite server is another license for the host and PER CLIENT, so each machine you manage with RHN Sat is an additional fee. This is expensive

ZLM, however can be run on any SLES or even RHEL box with a minimal charge, say about $600 for the host and $40 or so per client.

The last time I looked at RHN Satellite it was in the over $10K per host range.

There are other options for managing the updates, however both RHN Satellite and ZLM will work with your current subscriptions. You have what used to be opsware (costs are high too but has a lot of great features) and some other products like it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redhat linux 7.3

hi, just installed redhat linux 7.3 on my server, and put it in gnome gui. Does anyone know what software i need to run a web server??? and what software i need to set up a proxy to secure it? also, if these are free to download, can you give me the links. Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt2kjones
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

RedHat Linux Cd

I am wondering if anyone has copies (or can burn me a copy) of RedHat Linux. I will pay shipping charges... I don't have a CD burner and i dont want to run it off of my hard drive... please email me at: empireinfo623@yahoo.com or baldwitm@muc.edu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thedude623
5 Replies

3. Slackware

Redhat Linux?

Hi, I use linux and it is a great OS, I use Redhat Linux 9 and I was wondering are they going to update 9 or they'll be leaving that to the fedora project? I would like a stable linux distro. Thanks -n (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Insomniac
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redhat Linux?

I seen a pool that said Linux was the most popular Unix download. I then seen Redhat Linux is the most popular Linux download. Is there a difference? Is it the better program/s? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr_Pinky
6 Replies

5. IP Networking

regarding tracking file updates on linux networking environment

could anyone Explain me with how the linux o/s keeps track of file updates in network environment? for example, assume that more than one computer is connected to network (with linux in all of them). if an user say 'X' logged into terminal 1 and created a file with the name of 'temp.txt'. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjchoudary
1 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

regarding tracking file updates on linux networking environment

could anyone Explain me with how the linux o/s keeps track of file updates in network environment? for example, assume that more than one computer is connected to network (with linux in all of them). if an user say 'X' logged into terminal 1 and created a file with the name of 'temp.txt'. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pjchoudary
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

RedHat Updates

All, I'm updating my redhat servers by directly connecting to internet (redhat network). After I connecting to the internet, I see some packages in package updater.I'm trying to do update but its stucking up when it is starting updating the server. Any ideas. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
4 Replies

8. Programming

Automatic port selection using C in Linux?

Hi What would be the correct way to get the port number for a free port, using C in Linux? I've tried to create() and bind() a socket without specifying the port, and that seems to work in some cases (using gcc, and some Linux dist). When compiling with the Intel Icc64 compiler I suddenly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GeorgeCostanza
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Difference Redhat Linux/RH Enterprise Linux

what is the difference between Redhat Linux and Redhat Enterprise Linux. whereas Redhat linux have Server installation options too. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hananabbas
2 Replies
RHN-PROFILE-SYNC(8)						   Red Hat, Inc.					       RHN-PROFILE-SYNC(8)

NAME
rhn-profile-sync - Update system information on Red Hat Network. SYNOPSIS
rhn-profile-sync [options] DESCRIPTION
rhn-profile-sync is a client program that connects to Red Hat Network (or a Red Hat Network Satellite) and refreshes the data stored for this system. rhn-profile-sync updates data about installed packages, machine hardware, and virtual guest instances (if virtualization is enabled). OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Increase the debugging output. --proxy=PROXY Specify an http proxy to use. --proxyUser=PROXYUSER Specify a username to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyPassword. --proxyPassword=PROXYPASSWORD Specify a password to use for an authenticated proxy. This option must be used in conjunction with proxyUser. --version Show the program's version number and exit. -h, --help Show a help message and exit. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date The common configuration file used by RHN client programs. SEE ALSO
rhn_check(8), rhn_register(8), rhnreg_ks(8), rhnsd(8), up2date(5). AUTHORS
See the AUTHORS file included with this software. This manual page was written by James Bowes <jbowes@redhat.com> BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2010 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Linux 2010 August 30 RHN-PROFILE-SYNC(8)