Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem regarding Sed/Echo/Var Init Post 302332080 by ph1l on Wednesday 8th of July 2009 06:23:25 AM
Old 07-08-2009
Problem regarding Sed/Echo/Var Init

Greetings,

I've visited this forums for a long time and normally got an right answer but this time my problem doesn't seem to go away. What I'm trying to do is the following:
Code:
VAR="\n\nline1\nline2\nline3\nline4\nline5\nline6\nline7\n\n"

(The count of newlines is varying!)

If I echo this i get:
Code:
echo $VAR:

line1
line2
line7

/END

Now I want to Remove empty lines. Remember that the count of newlines is varying. I'm using the following sed command:
Code:
$VAR | sed '/^$/d'

When I echo this I get:
Code:
echo $VAR | sed '/^$/d':line1
line2
line7/END

However if I want to save it to $VAR something strange happens:
I use:
Code:
VAR=$(echo "$VAR" | sed '/^$/d')
echo $VAR:line1 line2 line3 line4 ... line7
echo "$VAR":line1
line2
line7/END

But as I'm cutting $VAR in a while loop
Code:
$VAR2=${VAR%%'\n'*}
$VAR=${VAR#*'\n'}

it doesn't seem to work. It doesn't recognize the newlines anymore and cuts away nothing. However, it cuts off in the right manner when I don't execute the sed-command, but I need to get rid of the empty newlines. I also tried changing the command to:
Code:
VAR="$(echo "$VAR" | sed '/^$/d')"
VAR="$(echo $VAR | sed '/^$/d')"

etc.
and many other versions but I can't seem to find the right answer.

Any help is highly appreciated.
Greetings,
Phil

Last edited by ph1l; 07-08-2009 at 08:24 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with echo for var, padded with spaces

While concatenating 2 values, one which expanded to fixed width & other not, I am not getting value expanded as fixed width. Following is script for the same : #!/bin/sh var1="abc" var2="def" var1Fxd=`echo $var1 | awk '{printf("%-6s",$0)}'` echo $var1Fxd""$var2 But, if I try - echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Init 6 & Init 0 problem

Hi Expert, I have encountered some problem with my SUN system. Everytime when i issue command #init 6 OR #init 0 it just logout and prompt for login again instead of rebooting the server when run init 6 and system shutdown when run init 0.. I can only reboot the system using reboot ... Was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sc2005
6 Replies

3. Linux

Problem of booting system in init 5 level

Hi, I am using RHEL4 and I am not booting my computer into graphics mode i.e. It gets hangs after the step of Enabling swap space... I.e system is not able to enter into runlevel 5. However, when I boot it into 'runlevel3' and then I do "#startx", It enetrs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jagdish.machhi@
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with echo and sed

I am using GNU sed but this does not output "what". Why? HEY=$(echo "hey 70.70.70.70:21 what: " | sed -nr 's/.*(70.70.70.70\|71.71.71.71):(21\|22\|115\|443\|989\|990) (.*):.*/\3/p') echo $HEY (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
2 Replies

5. Linux

How to I change init levels after typing init 1

Dear all, I typed in init 1 on my redhat box as root and according to wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel): 1 Single-User Mode Does not configure network interfaces, start daemons, or allow non-root logins So now I can't connect back to it. How do I change the init back to 3?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem on init 0, execution is the same with init 6

Hi, I am experiencing a weird thing on my SUNFIRE machine with Solaris 9 OS. When I do init 0 to shutdown the machine to go to ok prompt, what it did was shutdown and reboot like an init 6 command do. I did check the corresponding rc scripts that were involved with init 0 and compared with rc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yenthanh
2 Replies

7. Solaris

SVM Problem Regarding /var

Hi Guys! I am facing Problem with SVM I mention the problem below: I have Sunfire V210 machine and the partitions are as follows: Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 0 - 6134 29.77GB (6135/0/0) 62429760 1 swap wu ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sensation
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

init-script failing because of /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

I encountered a problem on one of our database servers. OS: CentOS 5.5 final Kernel: 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5.028stab085.2 (OpenVZ kernel) We wrote some DB-Start/Stop-scripts ("/db2/admin/scripts_dba/start_services.ksh" and ".../stop_services.ksh") to start the database instances. (Database... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bakunin
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable ECHO $((SED...

Hi, I'm new here so I want to say hello to everyone first! I searched google and this forum for a similar problem, but wasn't successful #! /bin/bash I'm trying to output (echo) n lines of a text file to the screen (later into another file). But I have problem with the sed command, it won't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: studiologe
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to echo a value of a var stored in another variable?

I'm writing a shell script in AIX and using ksh. I have a scenario where I have a variable A which stores $B. so when i echo "$A" it prints $B But I wish to print value stored in var b ie. \a\dir\res\ I wish to store \a\dir\res\ in a third variable C. later I want to cd into that path :... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: simpltyansh
1 Replies
fixadd(3alleg4) 						  Allegro manual						   fixadd(3alleg4)

NAME
fixadd - Safe function to add fixed point numbers clamping overflow. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> fixed fixadd(fixed x, fixed y); DESCRIPTION
Although fixed point numbers can be added with the normal '+' integer operator, that doesn't provide any protection against overflow. If overflow is a problem, you should use this function instead. It is slower than using integer operators, but if an overflow occurs it will set `errno' and clamp the result, rather than just letting it wrap. Example: fixed result; /* This will put 5035 into `result'. */ result = fixadd(itofix(5000), itofix(35)); /* Sets `errno' and puts -32768 into `result'. */ result = fixadd(itofix(-31000), itofix(-3000)); ASSERT(!errno); /* This will fail. */ RETURN VALUE
Returns the clamped result of adding `x' to `y', setting `errno' to ERANGE if there was an overflow. SEE ALSO
fixsub(3alleg4), fixmul(3alleg4), fixdiv(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 fixadd(3alleg4)