Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting delete multiline string from file using sed. Post 302331776 by shrikanth on Tuesday 7th of July 2009 06:47:34 AM
Old 07-07-2009
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by skmdu
Hi,

I have file which has the following content...

GOOD MORNING
**********WARNING**********
when it kicks from the kickstart, sshd daemon should start at last.
(WHEN KICKING ITSELF, NOT AFTER KICKING).

/etc/rc3.d/S55sshd ( run level specification for sshd is 55, now I would want to change this to S99sshd.

**********WARNING***********
THANKYOU

I want to write sed command to remove the data which is there in between *****WARNING****.

My expected output is:
GOODMORNING
THANKYOU

Kindly help me to do this...

Even if its in awk that is also appreciated.
I laid my hands on this command..I hope it helps:

user@server > sed '/^*/,/^*/d' temp.txt
GOODMORNING
THANKYOU

where temp.txt is your text above.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to delete a string?

Hi all! Here is my problem : I have a string like the following : 20030613170404;BAN_CAV ; starting script Loader.sh on ; 13/06/2003 at ; 17;04;03 I want to eraze all characters located after "Loader.sh", because there are unuseful. I tried to use sed...but it didnt work....i guess i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HowardIsHigh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to delete string between delimiters

Hi There! I have the following string which i need to convert to i.e. between each occurence of the delimiter ('|' in this case), i need to delete all characters from the '|' to the ':' so that |10,9:12/xxx| becomes |12/xxx| How can i do this using sed? Thanks in advance! (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED delete string from till problems

Hi i have a file which contains 2 lines, line 1 is static data. line 2 is a very large string(over 3000char or much more). in that string are tags which i want to delete. e.g. <order1>123</order1><tag1>data</tag1><new>1</new><order2>124</order2><tag1>data</tag1> all one one line. now i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subby80
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete wildcard within a string

Hi I would like to batch delete the "note" entry from bib files. The start would be defined by "note ={" and the end by "}." (see example bib entry below). I tried the following command which does not have any effect: cat input.bib| sed -e 's/note = {.*}.//' > output.bib Any help would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerggeismann
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete string between delimiters with sed

Hi, I need to delete all text between "|" delimiters. The line in text file typically looks like this: 1014182| 13728 -rw-r--r-- 1 imac1 staff 7026127 2 okt 2010 |/Users/imac1/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music/Various Artists/We Are the World_ U.S.A. for Africa/01 We Are the World.mp3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrejm
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED help delete characters in a string

Hi Please help me to refine my syntax. I want to delete the excess characters from the out put below. -bash-3.00$ top -b -n2 -d 00.20 |grep Cpu|tail -1 | awk -F ":" '{ print $2 }' | cut -d, -f1 4.4% us now i want to delete the % and us. How wil i do that to make it just 4.4. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: redtred
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the line with a particular string in a file using sed command.

Hello, I want to delete all lines with given string in file1 and the string val is dynamic. Can this be done using sed command. Sample: vars="test twinning yellow" for i in $vars do grep $i file1 if then echo "Do Nothing" else sed `/$i/d` file1 fi done Using the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasadAruna
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change/Delete Multiline text

Hi, I want to change/delete all occurences of a multiline text in a file which match the specific pattern: aaa <This text should be changed>bbb ccc ddddddd eee<This text should be changed> fff gggggg hhh<This text should be deleted> iii jjjj kkkkk<This text should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wenclu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - delete content inside tags multiline

I need that a certain part of the content below excluded ==Image Gallery== followed by <gallery> and the content until </gallery> test SED1 ==Image Gallery== <gallery> Image:car1.jpg| Car 1<sup>1</sup> Imagem: car2.jpg| Car2<sup>2</sup> </gallery> test SED2 ==Image... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dperboni
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[sed]: Substitute a string with a multiline value

Dear all, I try to replace a string of characters in a file (MyFile.txt) by a multiline value of the variable "Myvar": $ cat MyFile.txt DESCRIPTION '@TargetTable SCHEMA' ( @InputFlowDef ); $ The content of Myvar: $ echo "$Myvar" col1 , col2 , col3 $ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
4 Replies
VTYSH(1)                                                          Version 0.96.5                                                          VTYSH(1)

NAME
vtysh - a integrated shell for Quagga routing software SYNOPSIS
vtysh [ -b ] vtysh [ -E ] [ -d daemon ] ] [ -c command ] DESCRIPTION
vtysh is a integrated shell for Quagga routing engine. OPTIONS
Options available for the vtysh command: -b, --boot Execute boot startup configuration. It makes sense only if integrated config file is in use (not default in Quagga). See Info file Quagga for more info. -c, --command command Specify command to be executed under batch mode. It behaves like -c option in any other shell - command is executed and vtysh exits. It's useful for gathering info from Quagga routing software or reconfiguring daemons from inside shell scripts, etc. Note that mul- tiple commands may be executed by using more than one -c option and/or embedding linefeed characters inside the command string. -d, --daemon daemon_name Specify which daemon to connect to. By default, vtysh attempts to connect to all Quagga daemons running on the system. With this flag, one can specify a single daemon to connect to instead. For example, specifying '-d ospfd' will connect only to ospfd. This can be particularly useful inside scripts with -c where the command is targeted for a single daemon. -e, --execute command Alias for -c. It's here only for compatibility with Zebra routing software and older Quagga versions. This will be removed in future. -E, --echo When the -c option is being used, this flag will cause the standard vtysh prompt and command to be echoed prior to displaying the results. This is particularly useful to separate the results when executing multiple commands. -h, --help Display a usage message on standard output and exit. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
VTYSH_PAGER This should be the name of the pager to use. Default is more. FILES
/usr/local/etc/vtysh.conf The default location of the vtysh config file. /usr/local/etc/Quagga.conf The default location of the integrated Quagga routing engine config file if integrated config file is in use (not default). WARNING
This man page is intended to be a quick reference for command line options. The definitive document is the Info file Quagga. SEE ALSO
bgpd(8), ripd(8), ripngd(8), ospfd(8), ospf6d(8), isisd(8), zebra(8) BUGS
vtysh eats bugs for breakfast. If you have food for the maintainers try http://bugzilla.quagga.net AUTHORS
See http://www.zebra.org and http://www.quagga.net or the Info file for an accurate list of authors. Quagga VTY shell 27 July 2006 VTYSH(1)