Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shrinking filesystem error
Operating Systems AIX shrinking filesystem error Post 302331713 by shockneck on Tuesday 7th of July 2009 04:11:07 AM
Old 07-07-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by raba
[...]question is: How can I tell the fs is 100% full instead of the 83% the df-command shows?
df does not show information about FS metadata. Can you backup the data with compression?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shrinking a file

Hi All I have a somewhat complex requirement. I have a file containing about 1 million records The records in the file are of fixed length Every record begins with 03,04 ,05 or 06 03 record is parent record. 04 05 and 06 are child records Every 03 record can have zero ,1 or more than 1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aashoo_5
5 Replies

2. Solaris

[help] filesystem error on solaris 10

Hi All, please help me about filesystem error on sun fire 245 sparc solaris 10, i have installed solaris 10 os on sun fire 245 and done with mirroring disk. but after reboot the server i having this error below shown by system : checking ufs filesystems /dev/md/rdsk/d60: is logging.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
4 Replies

3. Linux

shrinking root partition and using free space to create a block device

We are intending to protect a set of user specified files using LVM mirroring where the protected space on which the user files are stored is mirrored on an LV on a different disk. Our problem is that for a user with a custom layout has installed linux with 2 partitons for swap and / and there is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kickdgrass
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Filesystem - error when extend the filesystem

Hi all, currently , my root filesystem already reach 90 ++% I already add more cylinder in the root partition as below Part Tag Flag Cylinders Size Blocks 0 root wm 67 - 5086 38.46GB (5020/0/0) 80646300 1 swap wu 1 - ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: SmartAntz
11 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Consolidating Freespace to allow shrinking partition?

i have an "old" laptop with 84gb used space, 203gb free, running 32bit Windows Vista. i've tried all defragmenting programs i could find and though some offer Free Space Defrag, they don't seem to take into account where on the disk to consolidates the space to. what i am trying to achieve is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sterist
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hwo to find shared filesystem and local filesystem in AIX

Hi, I wanted to find out that in my database server which filesystems are shared storage and which filesystems are local. Like when I use df -k, it shows "filesystem" and "mounted on" but I want to know which one is shared and which one is local. Please tell me the commands which I can run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamranjalal
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

error in displaying filesystem %

Hi, The below command is expected to display the filesystem along with the used % and available % in each of the filesystem in the linux box. df -k / | grep -v 'capacity' | gawk '{ print $5 }' But instead of displaying the actual used %, it is showing as 'Use%'. Could anyone please let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
2 Replies

8. Linux

About shrinking LVM and then adding the freed space to another OS on dualboot system

Hi all, Fedora 17, 64bit Ubuntu 12.04 desktop 64bit HD 160G I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on the HD first taking up the whole disc. Later I added/installed Fedora 17 selecting the "Shrink" option and save the bootloader on /dev/sda1 to make them dualboot. Installation is successful with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satimis
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Shrinking zpool

Hello experts, I have a solaris 10 (SunOS 5.10 Generic_148888-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise) that by mistake I added a second san space of 700g to the pool. the whole pool is now 1.2T and, I need to take the space away from the pool and, make the pool 700g total. this is live oracle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: afadaghi
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shrinking partitions in enterprise

Hello , to invent some software we need to massive shrink system volumes in our company (800 pc windows xp) . For that purpose we are planing to run remotely some linux distro with fdisk script. Some one have similar experience? ? Any information would be helpfull . THanks.;) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Y2J
3 Replies
VGCFGRESTORE(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   VGCFGRESTORE(8)

NAME
vgcfgrestore - restore volume group descriptor area SYNOPSIS
vgcfgrestore [-d|--debug] [-f|--file filename] [-l[l]|--list] [-h|--help] [-M|--Metadatatype1|2] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] VolumeGroupName DESCRIPTION
vgcfgrestore allows you to restore the metadata of VolumeGroupName from a text backup file produced by vgcfgbackup. You can specify a backup file with --file. If no backup file is specified, the most recent one is used. Use --list for a list of the available backup and archive files of VolumeGroupName. OPTIONS
-l | --list -- List files pertaining to VolumeGroupName List metadata backup and archive files pertaining to VolumeGroupName. May be used with the -f option. Does not restore Vol- umeGroupName. -f | --file filename -- Name of LVM metadata backup file Specifies a metadata backup or archive file to be used for restoring VolumeGroupName. Often this file has been created with vgcfg- backup. See lvm for common options. REPLACING PHYSICAL VOLUMES
vgdisplay --partial --verbose will show you the UUIDs and sizes of any PVs that are no longer present. If a PV in the VG is lost and you wish to substitute another of the same size, use pvcreate --restorefile filename --uuid uuid (plus additional arguments as appropriate) to initialise it with the same UUID as the missing PV. Repeat for all other missing PVs in the VG. Then use vgcfgrestore --file filename to restore the volume group's metadata. SEE ALSO
lvm(8), vgcreate(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) VGCFGRESTORE(8)