Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how can i extract text section via grep Post 302330924 by meny on Thursday 2nd of July 2009 06:10:53 PM
Old 07-02-2009
thanks guys

thanks folks but it seems the it just opens the file (as cat).

hoped it will retrieve the row's number.

thanks...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and extract by section from configuration

Hi, I understand either AWK or SED can do this, but I not sure how to extract the following configuration in section. Meaning when I need to find code with " ip helper-address 192.168.11.2" , it would start from "interface Serial0/0" and "interface FastEthernet0/1". Only displaying both section... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haphazard
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help please with Grep/Sed command to extract text and numbers from a file

Hello All, I need to extract lines from a file that contains ALPHANUMERIC and the length of Alphanumeric is set to 16. I have pasted the sample of the lines from the text file that I have created. My problem is that sometimes 16 appears in other part of the line. I'm only interested to... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnassiri
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text from within a section of text using AWK

I have a command which returns the below output. How can I write a script to extract mainhost and secondhost from this output and put it into an array? I may sometimes have more hosts like thirdhost. I am redirecting this output to a variable. So I guess there should be a awk or sed command to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: heykiran
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract record from file based on section.

input file output file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lathigara
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep text and see all section

Hello I am looking for a way to look in files and to grep text and see the all section of the text ! Sharon123 deed 10000 class 360 ! sharon456 2000 deed ! Sharon789 live 3000 ! To grep "deed "an see the all section (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharong
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script extract text from txt file with grep

All, I require a script that grabs some text from the gitHub API and will grep (or other function) for a string a characters that starts with (") quotes followed by two letters, may contain a pipe |, and ending with ) . What i have so far is below but it's not returning anything. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Grep of by section?

I have a script that outputs this as a file John Smith ---------------- memberOf: example1;sampletest;test memberOf: example2;sampletest;test memberOf: example3;sampletest;test memberOf: example4;sampletest;test A Member of 4 Groups Sally Smith ---------------- memberOf:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajetangay
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need grep regex to extract multiline text between two strings

I have a file conatining the below: --- 10.9.16.116: /tmp/5835113081224811756.jar: hash: e6df90d38fa86f0e289f73d79cd2cfd2a29954eb /tmp/4603745991442278706.jar: hash: e6df90d38fa86f0e289f73d79cd2cfd2a29954eb 10.9.14.126: /tmp/conf/extra/httpd-ssl.conf: hash:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)