Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem with parting using vi in a file Post 302330901 by Scott on Thursday 2nd of July 2009 04:51:10 PM
Old 07-02-2009
You mean the pasted data looks like this...

Code:
DAY_OF_WK_NAME_UPR VARCHAR2(20 CHAR),
        DAY_OF_WK_NBR_SAT NUMBER,
                DAY_OF_WK_NBR_SUN NUMBER,
                        DAY_OF_WK_NBR_MON NUMBER,

Then you need to ":set noai" (from command mode - to get there, press Esc. Then : (colon) set noai (meaning no auto-indent). Then paste again.)

You can change this "auto-indent" behaviour permanently by editiing ~/.ex.rc (or some such). Use

Code:
:set

From the VI command mode to see what is set.

Last edited by Scott; 07-02-2009 at 06:00 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem writing file path to txt file

if test -z "$1" then echo "you must give a filename or filepath" else path=`dirname $1` f_name =`basename $1` if path="." then path=`pwd` fi fi cat $f_name $path >> index.txt The only problem I am encountering with this is writing $path to index.txt Keeps going gaga: cat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vintage_hegoog
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in converting password protected excel file to csv file in unix

I need to convert a password protected excel file which will be in UNIX server to a comma separated file. For this I need to open the excel file in UNIX box but the UNIX box doesn't prompt for password instead it is opened in an encrypted manner. I could manually ftp the excel file to local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devivish
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File access/ Never seen problem!

Dear Guru's, I am being facing strange issue in UNIX. My user name is shah and one more user name is appstest I have a directory created by appstest user i.e. /home/appstest/work ls -ld /home/appstest/work drwxrwxr-x 10 appstest apps 12288 Aug 06 23:41 /home/appstest/work Now I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shahnazurs
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Spliting problem

I have a very big log file which looks like this: I need to split this file and create files with "+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+" as the delimiter. The file names need to be the contents of the next line after the delimiter(FIRST_ITEM,SECOND_ITEM...so on..). (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineer
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with my file...

Hi all... I have a text file which i want to move to some remote directory... when i use command prompt to ftp that textfile,.. after ftp if i check the file by using vi i can see many ^M with the starting and end of each line... instead if i use grab and drop method to copy that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading a file

Hi Guys, I am having a file which does not have any name when i do a ls -l -rw-r--r-- 1 dctrdat1 dctrdata 35 Feb 09 08:04 -rw-r--r-- 1 dctrdat1 dctrdata 11961 Feb 08 06:40 DAI_data.txt Now i want to see what is inside that file. Can you please let me know how to read... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem - Log File

Hi, I am in trouble ... again :wall: I formating a log file as .txt from Unix (solaris 9) and then I compress it with gzip and I use uuencode and send it in an email. gzip -c ${fic_report} | uuencode Report_File.gz > ${attachment_file} my problem is when I received the mail with the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in test file operator on a ufsdump archive file mount nfs

Hi, I would like to ask if someone know how to test a files if exist the file is a nfs mount ufsdump archive file.. i used the test operator -f -a h almost all test operator but i failed file1=ufs_root_image.dump || echo "files doesn't exist && exit 1 the false file1 is working but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File with -rw-r--r-- problem

Hi, I have a file on Sunos with permissions: -rw-r--r-- When I 'more' it...I get the message: *** filename: directory *** And it is acutally a directory. How come there is no 'd' shpwing on the file permission settings? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint - Xml-file problem --ods file not opening

Dear All, this is my first post on this Forum, glad to be here. I'm trying to fix an .ods file. Yes, I had a backup, but it's also corrupted. When opening the document I get this EM: read error format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,337040(row,col). So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameslast
3 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)