Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting a text file to get data in exact line by line Post 302330736 by rdhanek on Thursday 2nd of July 2009 07:09:44 AM
Old 07-02-2009
Formatting a text file to get data in exact line by line

I have my data something like this
Code:
    SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE
NETPROTOCOL
1947430693 07/01/2009 05:16:40
FR

SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE
NETPROTOCOL
1947430746 07/01/2009 05:18:05
FR

I want the output as follows.
Code:
SERIAL.......................FIRSTOCCURRENCE.........................NETPROTOCOL
1947430693...................07/01/2009 05:16:40.....................FR
SERIAL.......................FIRSTOCCURRENCE.........................NETPROTOCOL
1947430746...................07/01/2009 05:18:05.....................ATM

i kept .... just for understanding..I don't want that in my final output. I searched this forum for the solution. But didn't get the solution.
Any help will be much appreciated.
-Ravi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

accessing o an exact line in a file

I want to access exact line in a file (sh script) for example I have a variable input and I want to access input.th line in file. for example line 5 or 7. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: walnut
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

hello, I have got the following problem that I am hoping someone can help with please. 1. I have got the following text file (below) , the columns data are 'Test Day', 'Board', 'Betting Number'. TEXT FILE ============================================ 1 3 02-01-27-28-29-30 0 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from a specific line in a text file

Hello, I have a problem which is giving me headache for days, can some please help. Please see code and text fiel below. Please see text in red for the problem I am facing # Program gets an input x from user while read line ; do echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing data in a text file at particular line

I need to write value of variable $version at a particular line in a text file. Line number is determined by another variable &line......I don't know how to do it in shell script ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: punitpa
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting a line of data into columns

Hi all, I'm a little stuck with a data file I've been collecting data in. The file contains one field of data running continuously down the file and I can't work out how to format the data into three columns. This is a mock up of the file: Each r# is a random number and varies in length, this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nistleloy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a text file line by line & process it...

Hi , I am trying to write an shell, which reads a text file (from a location) having a list of numbers of strictly 5 digits only ex: 33144 Now my script will check : 1) that each entry is only 5 digits & numeric only, no alphabets, & its not empty. 2)then it executes a shell script called... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_to_shell
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting File having big single line into 95 Char Per Line

Hi All, I have 4 big files which contains one big line containing formatted character records, I need to format each file in such way that each File will have 95 Characters per line. Last line of each file will have newline character at end. Before:- File Name:- File1.dat 102 121340560... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancesunny
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading text file, comparing a value in a line, and placing only part of the line in a variable?

I need some help. I would like to read in a text file. Take a variable such as ROW-D-01, compare it to what's in one line in the text file such as PROD/VM/ROW-D-01 and only input PROD/VM into a variable without the /ROW-D-01. Is this possible? any help is appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xChristopher
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to identify exact text and then add a blank line above it using sed?

I need to identify the exact text of San Antonio Generator Running in the output my script which lands to a text file. Once SED finds the specific text, I need it to insert one line above the matched text. Here is what I have so far that isn't working all that well for me. Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbrass
7 Replies
fspec(4)							   File Formats 							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the system with non-standard tabs, (tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Such files must generally be converted to a standard format, frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate number of spaces, before they can be processed by system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets <: and :>. Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: ttabs The t parameter specifies the tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: o A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns. o A '-' followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns. o A '-' followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by t-8, or equivalently, t1,9,17,25, etc. The canned tabs that are recognized are defined by the tabs(1) command. ssize The s parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is prepended. mmargin The m parameter specifies a number of spaces to be prepended to each line. The value of margin must be an integer. d The d parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. e The e parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specifi- cation is encountered in the file. Default values, which are assumed for parameters not supplied, are t-8 and m0. If the s parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: * <:t5,10,15 s72:> * If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the d parameter. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1) SunOS 5.11 3 Jul 1990 fspec(4)