Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users tar command loop during execution Post 302330702 by Jocker on Thursday 2nd of July 2009 04:52:13 AM
Old 07-02-2009
OK, you are right! I'm sorry.
I use HP-Unix as OS and the command submitted is tar -cvf directory_name.tar directory_name.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find & tar execution problem

I'm trying to set up a stanard sh script that will find all the files that have been changed within the last day and then tar them up. I think the command line should be something like : find /home/bob -atime +0 -exec \ tar cvf /home/bob/files.tar {}\; Help please ... Thanx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianf
3 Replies

2. Programming

how to stop execution in for loop

Hi all, I am working on a c source code nearly 2000 line . it contains one big for( i=0; i< 200 ; i++ ) loop of around 600 lines could any tell me how to break the execution of prog when the value of i is 50 in for loop so that i can check inside the loop. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command dont tar to original directory

HI, if I have a tarfile called pmapdata.tar that contains tar -tvf pmapdata.tar -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 15 11:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap4628.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 21 Oct 14 20:00 2009 /var/tmp/pmapdata/pmap23752.txt -rw-r--r-- 0/0 1625 Oct 13 20:00 2009... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution of SQLs thru loop

Hi, I have a file in which I have a number of insert statements (number is not fixed, it may have 10 statements or may be 1000....not fixed). I want to execute these statements using a loop (1 statement per iteration). For ex: Input file has following statements: Insert statement #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in loop execution

Below is my code. I want a loop in this way that if folder has tag sub-folder then it will show the list of tags otherwise it will show the subfolders of that folder and then again user will select sub-folder and if tags found then show the tag list otherwise show all subfolders till he finds the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop like execution in shell

Hi, In the script that i work now, I wrote the script such a way that the values retrieved using a tcl script is passed into a shell script to specify the path where the specific file needs to be sourced exists. For eg: I got a path from the tcl script given below, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivashankar_S
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple command execution inside awk command during xml parsing

below is the output xml string from some other command and i will be parsing it using awk cat /tmp/alerts.xml <Alert id="10102" name="APP-DS-ds_ha-140018-componentFailure-S" alertDefinitionId="13982" resourceId="11427" ctime="1359453507621" fixed="false" reason="If Event/Log Level(ANY) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Programming

Creating for loop for tar -tvf doesnt work

hi all, i have created a for loop, it looks like this - #!/bin/bash cd /mnt/local/data/tars for tar in * do base=$(basename "$tar") "$base" -tvf >> /mnt/local/data/logs/"$base".csv done but i get this error - ./tar_loop.sh: line 8:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertkwild
2 Replies
bup-join(1)						      General Commands Manual						       bup-join(1)

NAME
bup-join - concatenate files from a bup repository SYNOPSIS
bup join [-r host:path] [refs or hashes...] DESCRIPTION
bup join is roughly the opposite operation to bup-split(1). You can use it to retrieve the contents of a file from a local or remote bup repository. The supplied list of refs or hashes can be in any format accepted by git(1), including branch names, commit ids, tree ids, or blob ids. If no refs or hashes are given on the command line, bup join reads them from stdin instead. OPTIONS
-r, --remote=host:path Retrieves objects from the given remote repository instead of the local one. path may be blank, in which case the default remote repository is used. The connection to the remote server is made with SSH. If you'd like to specify which port, user or private key to use for the SSH connection, we recommend you use the ~/.ssh/config file. EXAMPLE
# split and then rejoin a file using its tree id TREE=$(tar -cvf - /etc | bup split -t) bup join $TREE | tar -tf - # make two backups, then get the second-most-recent. # mybackup~1 is git(1) notation for the second most # recent commit on the branch named mybackup. tar -cvf - /etc | bup split -n mybackup tar -cvf - /etc | bup split -n mybackup bup join mybackup~1 | tar -tf - SEE ALSO
bup-split(1), bup-save(1), ssh_config(5) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-join(1)