Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Perl Extract String
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl Extract String Post 302330602 by xlynx3 on Wednesday 1st of July 2009 07:12:58 PM
Old 07-01-2009
Perl Extract String

Hi,
I have a string like

"something is good wanted (bla bla)"

I need to get the world "wanted" from this string and "assign it to a variable".. but it's not a static word so i want to get that word by searching the pattern as follows

<space>desiredword<space>(

and i tried to get that word by
Code:
$string =~ m/\s.*?\s\(/gi;

How can i do this?

Many thanks in advance..

Last edited by Yogesh Sawant; 07-05-2009 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: added code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie: how to extract an unknown word from a string

hi, im quite new to perl regexp. i have a problem where i want to extract a word from a given string. but the word is unknown, only fact is that it appears as the second word in the string. Eg. input string(s) : char var1 = 'A'; int var2 = 10; char *ptr; and what i want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolwy_pete
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl REGEX - How do extract a string in a line?

Hi Guys, In the following line: cn=portal.090710.191533.428571000,cn=groups,dc=mp,dc=rj,dc=gov,dc=br I need to extract this string: portal.090710.191533.428571000 As you can see this string always will be bettween "cn=" and "," strings. Someone know one regular expression to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick-ski
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract string from a file & write to a new file (Perl)

Hi, This is the first time playing around with perl and need some help. Assuming if i have a line of text that looks like this: Date/Time=Nov 18 17:12:11;Device Name=192.168.1.1;Device IP=192.168.1.1;Device Class=IDS;Source IP=155.212.212.111;Source Name=UNKNOWN;Source Port=1679... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LuckyGuy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract string and sending it into a new file in perl program

Hi, I have a input file with following values (test.out) I would like to grep all lines with word 'PANIC' and sent it another file using perl program with grep command. I have been trying different ways and not working. Pls advice. Thanks a lot for the help. --example--... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hudson03051nh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string between 2 ref string from a file

Hi, May i ask if someone share some command for extracting a string between 2 ref string in a txt file My objective: i had a file with multiple lines and wants only to extract the string "watch?v=IbkAXOmEHpY" or "watch?v=<11 random character>", when i used "grep 'watch?=*' i got a results per... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract every repeated string between two specific string?

Hello guys, I have problem with hpux shell script. I have one big text file that contains like SOH bla bla bla bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX What I need to do is save first SOH*BLA into file1.txt, save second SOH*BLA into file2.txt and so on.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
17 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract n-digits from string in perl

Hello, I have a log file with logs such as 01/05/2017 10:23:41 : file.log.38: database error, MODE=SINGLE, LEVEL=critical, STATE: 01170255 (mode main how can i use perl to extract the 8-digit number below from the string 01170255 Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2009
7 Replies
Preferred(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Preferred(3pm)

NAME
Lingua::Preferred - Perl extension to choose a language SYNOPSIS
use Lingua::Preferred qw(which_lang acceptable_lang); my @wanted = qw(en de fr it de_CH); my @available = qw(fr it de); my $which = which_lang(@wanted, @available); print "language $which is the best of those available "; foreach (qw(en_US fr nl de_DE)) { print "language $_ is acceptable " if acceptable_lang(@wanted, $_); } DESCRIPTION
Often human-readable information is available in more than one language. Which should you use? This module provides a way for the user to specify possible languages in order of preference, and then to pick the best language of those available. Different 'dialects' given by the 'territory' part of the language specifier (such as en, en_GB, and en_US) are also supported. The routine "which_lang()" picks the best language from a list of alternatives. The arguments are: o a reference to a list of preferred languages (first is best). Here, a language is a string like 'en' or 'fr_CA'. ('fr_*' can also be given - see below.) 'C' (named for the Unix 'C' locale) matches any language. o a reference to non-empty list of available languages. Here, a language can be like 'en', 'en_CA', or "undef" meaning 'unknown'. The return code is which language to use. This will always be an element of the available languages list. The cleverness of this module (if you can call it that) comes from inferring implicit language preferences based on the explicit list passed in. For example, if you say that en is acceptable, then en_IE and en_DK will presumably be acceptable too (but not as good as just plain en). If you give your language as en_US, then en is almost as good, with the other dialects of en following soon afterwards. If there is a tie between two choices, as when two dialects of the same language are available and neither is explicitly preferred, or when none of the available languages appears in the user's list, then the choice appearing earlier in the available list is preferred. Sometimes, the automatic inferring of related dialects is not what you want, because a language dialect may be very different to the 'main' language, for example Swiss German or some forms of English. For this case, the special form 'XX_*' is available. If you dislike Mexican Spanish (as a completely arbitrary example), then "[ 'es', 'es_*', 'es_MX' ]" would rank this dialect below any other dialect of es (but still acceptable). You don't have to explicitly list every other dialect of Spanish before es_MX. So for example, supposing @avail contains the languages available: o You know English and prefer US English: $which = which_lang([ 'en_US' ], @avail); o You know English and German, German/Germany is preferred: $which = which_lang([ 'en', 'de_DE' ], @avail); o You know English and German, but preferably not Swiss German: $which = which_lang([ 'en', 'de', 'de_*', 'de_CH' ], @avail); Here any dialect of German (eg de_DE, de_AT) is preferable to de_CH. Whereas "which_lang()" picks the best language from a list of alternatives, "acceptable_lang()" answers whether a single language is included (explicitly or implicitly) in the list of wanted languages. It adds the implicit dialects in the same way. AUTHOR
Ed Avis, ed@membled.com SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.8.8 2005-10-17 Preferred(3pm)