Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to expand environment variables in a file? Post 302330569 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 1st of July 2009 04:29:14 PM
Old 07-01-2009
I think you mean to 'get the value of' a variable or maybe dereference it.

Do you mean you want to create a file using a variable as a filename?
Code:
SourceFilePath=/db1/Src/test 
var=${SourceFilePath}/file.txt
> $var     # this creates an empty file named /db1/Src/test/file.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment Variables in text file and read command

I cannot get the following substitution ($ORACLE_SID) to work: The variable ORACLE_SID is set to wardin my environment. It has been exported. I have a text file called test.dat: /u07/oradata/${ORACLE_SID}/extab/finmart/summit/ps_voucher_line_crnt_ex.dbf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradyd
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop using input file doesn't expand variables

Hi, I'm using a for loop reading from an input file that contains files, whose path includes a variable name. But the for loop doesn't expand the variable and therefore can't find the file. Here's an example: File BACKUPFILES /home/John/alpha /home/Sue/beta... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hesiod
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expand an environment variable in sed, when the variable contains a slash

I'm trying to make a sed substitution where the substitution pattern is an environment variable to be expanded, but the variable contains a "slash". sed -e 's/<HOME_DIRECTORY>/'$HOME'/'This gives me the following error: sed: -e expression #1, char 21: unknown option to `s'Obviously this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic variables - eval - expand etc.

Hello, so i'm making a script, using dynamic variables and trying to expand them. So far it hasn't worked out too well so it seems that I need some help from you, the elite. Example: #!/bin/sh counter=0 until (($counter>5)) counter2=1 until (($counter2>6)); do if ;... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables in Cron file

Hi, In Cron file i'm using username and password hard-coded and now i wann to use environmental veraiables in cron file. But Could you please guide me how to use these environmental variables in cron file ? Thanks, Shyamu.A (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shyamu544
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variables in a sed script file

Hello Everyone I need to create a script file which must append some lines to a target text file, I'm using sed for windows, the script file look like this: { a\ STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE\ BEGIN\ 5, 150 {a\ #define RC_SHELL, "%ID_SHELL%"\ #define RC_NAME, "%ID_NAME%"\ END } ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edgarvm
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting environment variables from a file :

Hi, I have around 10 environment variables in my shell script. i want to set this all in a file and just call that file in my shell script. How can i do that ? Please help. TIA! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: qwertyu
6 Replies

8. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi All, I need to understand following three environment variables and their usages in HP Unix. _M_ARENA_OPTS _M_CACHE_OPTS PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM How does these environment variables influence multi threaded applciation and how do we decide the value of these variables? Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Expand Variables and Wildcards into another variable.

Dear Forum members, I am having trouble getting the complete filename (and directory path) in a variable. Output directory mentioned in the code have three files: DISPLAY_CITY_DETAILS_15-05-2019-08-29-26_MIGRATE_london.out DISPLAY_CITY_DETAILS_15-05-2019-08-29-26_MIGRATE_paris.out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanojha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenge with sh script using environment variables to check for file.

Hi All Thanks for reviewing my question. I have a sh script where I used an environmental variable for the directory for the file I need to check to ensure before executing a process. I have confirmed the permissions and I can find the file if I use a hard coding of the directory. This is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstojkovic68
5 Replies
Text::Tabs(3pm) 					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					   Text::Tabs(3pm)

NAME
Text::Tabs -- expand and unexpand tabs per the unix expand(1) and unexpand(1) SYNOPSIS
use Text::Tabs; $tabstop = 4; # default = 8 @lines_without_tabs = expand(@lines_with_tabs); @lines_with_tabs = unexpand(@lines_without_tabs); DESCRIPTION
Text::Tabs does about what the unix utilities expand(1) and unexpand(1) do. Given a line with tabs in it, expand will replace the tabs with the appropriate number of spaces. Given a line with or without tabs in it, unexpand will add tabs when it can save bytes by doing so (just like "unexpand -a"). Invisible compression with plain ASCII! EXAMPLE
#!perl # unexpand -a use Text::Tabs; while (<>) { print unexpand $_; } Instead of the "expand" comand, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print expand $_' Instead of the "unexpand -a" command, use: perl -MText::Tabs -n -e 'print unexpand $_' LICENSE
Copyright (C) 1996-2002,2005,2006 David Muir Sharnoff. Copyright (C) 2005 Aristotle Pagaltzis This module may be modified, used, copied, and redistributed at your own risk. Publicly redistributed modified versions must use a different name. perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 Text::Tabs(3pm)