Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pipe output of grep to sed?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pipe output of grep to sed? Post 302330389 by arsh on Wednesday 1st of July 2009 05:55:56 AM
Old 07-01-2009
Let me be more specific here:

I have two variables in a shell script that I assign by reading contents of a file
The contents are as such
a="$var1=xyz"
b="$var1=abc"

I need to search a second file for occurences of $var1=xyz and replace it with
$var1=abc

I have used sed -s 's/'"$a"'/'"$b"'/g' which works fine but whenever the contents of variable a contain some special characters for example a="$var1=fdh&%4"
the replace is not working. If I change the value to just a="$var1=", the above sed works successfully to replace $var1= in the file to $var1=abc.

Can anybody please help?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe'ing grep output to awk

This script is supposed to find out if tomcat is running or not. #!/bin/sh if netstat -a | grep `grep ${1}: /tomcat/bases | awk -F: '{print $3}'` > /dev/null then echo Tomcat for $1 running else echo Tomcat for $1 NOT running fi the /tomcat/bases is a file that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep output as input for sed command

Hi, I would like to know if this is possible, and if so what can i do to make this work. I would like to grep a line X from fileA and then use the output to replace a word Y in fileB. grep "line X" fileA | sed -e 's/Y/X/g' > outfile this statement does not work, as i do not know how to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grab Portion of Output Text (sed, grep, awk?)

Alright, here's the deal. I'm running the following ruby script (output follows): >> /Users/name/bin/acweather.rb -z 54321 -o /Users/name/bin -c Clouds AND Sun 57/33 - Mostly sunny and cool I want to just grab the "57/33" portion, but that's it. I don't want any other portion of the line. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep char count & pipe to sed command

Hi I am having a 'grep' headache Here is the contents of my file: (PBZ,CP,(((ME,PBZ,BtM),ON),((ME,((PBZ,DG),(CW9,PG11))),CW9,TS2,RT1))) I would like to count out how many times 'PBZ' occurs and then place that number in the line above 3... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display output as columns using grep/awk/sed

I have several files with say something like cat sparrow I can grep for "cat" and "sparrow" and usually the output is one below the other cat sparrow How can I view these as columns say Pets Birds cat sparrow Would be great if this can be on command line using awk or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe awk's output to sed for deletion

Hi Friends, I am using a command that prints certain lines from a file. For ex: cat input abc chr1 456 def chr1 789 ghi chr1 999 jjj chr1 777 jhk chr7 914 My command awk '{if($2=="chr1" && $3>=456 && $3<=999) {print $0}}' OFS="\t" input Output being printed is abc chr1 456 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep & sed - Output

Hi All, Facing an issue with grep & sed I have logs as below: gsc_1_20121121.log:2012-11-21 10:09:13,143 INFO - fmsspace.1 ProcessNewOrderSingleRequest: Result - ProcessNewOrderSingleBatchResultDTO - success:true,newOrderSingleBatchResults:ProcessNewOrderSingleResultDTO -... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: irfanmemon
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep:pipe delimited output

Hi, I am trying to search for a string in a file and print all the matched lines as pipe delimited format. My command is cat m_gid_trans.XML|grep -i '<TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"' The output I am getting is <TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use less pipe for grep or awk sed to print the line not include xx yy zz

cat file |grep -v "xx" | grep -v "yy" |grep -v "zz" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies
MYSQLI_STMT_BIND_RESULT(3)						 1						MYSQLI_STMT_BIND_RESULT(3)

mysqli_stmt::bind_result - Binds variables to a prepared statement for result storage

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
bool mysqli_stmt::bind_result (mixed &$var1, [mixed &$...]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style bool mysqli_stmt_bind_result (mysqli_stmt $stmt, mixed &$var1, [mixed &$...]) Binds columns in the result set to variables. When mysqli_stmt_fetch(3) is called to fetch data, the MySQL client/server protocol places the data for the bound columns into the speci- fied variables $var1, .... Note Note that all columns must be bound after mysqli_stmt_execute(3) and prior to calling mysqli_stmt_fetch(3). Depending on column types bound variables can silently change to the corresponding PHP type. A column can be bound or rebound at any time, even after a result set has been partially retrieved. The new binding takes effect the next time mysqli_stmt_fetch(3) is called. PARAMETERS
o $ stmt -Procedural style only: A statement identifier returned by mysqli_stmt_init(3). o $var1 - The variable to be bound. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Object oriented style <?php $mysqli = new mysqli("localhost", "my_user", "my_password", "world"); if (mysqli_connect_errno()) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", mysqli_connect_error()); exit(); } /* prepare statement */ if ($stmt = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT Code, Name FROM Country ORDER BY Name LIMIT 5")) { $stmt->execute(); /* bind variables to prepared statement */ $stmt->bind_result($col1, $col2); /* fetch values */ while ($stmt->fetch()) { printf("%s %s ", $col1, $col2); } /* close statement */ $stmt->close(); } /* close connection */ $mysqli->close(); ?> Example #2 Procedural style <?php $link = mysqli_connect("localhost", "my_user", "my_password", "world"); /* check connection */ if (!$link) { printf("Connect failed: %s ", mysqli_connect_error()); exit(); } /* prepare statement */ if ($stmt = mysqli_prepare($link, "SELECT Code, Name FROM Country ORDER BY Name LIMIT 5")) { mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt); /* bind variables to prepared statement */ mysqli_stmt_bind_result($stmt, $col1, $col2); /* fetch values */ while (mysqli_stmt_fetch($stmt)) { printf("%s %s ", $col1, $col2); } /* close statement */ mysqli_stmt_close($stmt); } /* close connection */ mysqli_close($link); ?> The above examples will output: AFG Afghanistan ALB Albania DZA Algeria ASM American Samoa AND Andorra SEE ALSO
mysqli_stmt_get_result(3), mysqli_stmt_bind_param(3), mysqli_stmt_execute(3), mysqli_stmt_fetch(3), mysqli_prepare(3), mysqli_stmt_pre- pare(3), mysqli_stmt_init(3), mysqli_stmt_errno(3), mysqli_stmt_error(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQLI_STMT_BIND_RESULT(3)