Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting lines from file using another file Post 302329780 by kshji on Monday 29th of June 2009 11:36:07 AM
Old 06-29-2009
If data include special chars (reserved char) like *$()!&/ ... then you have to escape those chars like here is ex. $ *
\1 = 1st ( ) group
& = whole input
in this case they are same
Code:
sed -e "s/\$/\\\$/g" \
  -e "s/\*/\\\*/g" b.txt | \
sed "s/^\(.*\)$/\/\1\/d/"  > x.tmp
# or "s/.*/\/&\/d/"
sed -f x.tmp a.txt

grep -v -f b.txt a.txt
is nice, but same problem. Ex. if linedata include '.*', result is ...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting specific lines in a file

I have a file which has some lines starting with a particular word. I would like to delete 5 lines before each such line containing that particular word. eg: line1 line2 line3 line4 line5 line6 "particular word"... I would like to delete line2-line6 and all such occurences in that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramu_1980
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last 2 lines from the file.

Hi I have a file & always I need to remove or delete last 2 lines from that file. So in a file if I have 10 lines then it should return me first 8 lines. Can someone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a file

How do I delete all the lines after the line containing text ***DISCLOSURES*** . I want to delete this line too. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file

Hi, Just consider there are around 10 lines in a file. Now is it possible to delete the first 2 lines in the file without opening the file. No matter whatever the content of the file is, I just wanna delete the first 2 lines without opening the file. Is that possible? If so, please help me out.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting lines from a file

How I can delete 100 lines anywhere in a file without opening a file and without renaming the file. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nirgude07
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines in a flat file

Hi Friends I have a flat file which has sentence like "Notice generated". It can be anywhere in the flat file. What I want to do is, I want to delete all the lines which are above sentence "Notice generated". How can I do it. Kindly advice. Anushree (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines from file

We have a server that logs transactions to a file. I want to write a script that will delete the first 50 lines of the file daily without renameing the file or moving the file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines from file using another file

Hi All, Need your Help. when i tried deleting lines from one file using another file i got this below error: $ sed "s/\(.*\)/\/^&$\/d/" a.txt > x.tmp $ sed -f x.tmp b.txt > target.txt sed: 0602-405 There are too many commands for the /^111111|.12|.00$/d function. a.txt: 111111|.11|.00... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines of a file if they exist in another file

I have a reference file that needs to remain static and another file that may or may not have duplicate rows that match the reference file. I need help with a command that will delete any duplicate rows from the second file while leaving reference file intact For example reference file would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjdamon
4 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)