Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming warning: int format,pid_t arg (arg 2) Post 302329584 by konvalo on Monday 29th of June 2009 01:04:11 AM
Old 06-29-2009
Question warning: int format,pid_t arg (arg 2)

I try following code under Solaris10,like follows:

Code:
int glob = 6;
int main(void)
{
  int var;
  pid_t pid;
  var = 88;
  printf("before vfork\n");
  if ((pid = vfork()) < 0) {
    err_sys("vfork error");
  } else if (pid == 0) { 
      glob++;
     var++;
     _exit(0);
  }
  printf("pid = %d, glob = %d, var = %d\n", getpid(), glob, var);
  exit(0);
}

When I compile it,it raise following warning
$gcc -Wall abc.c error.obj
abc.c: In function 'main':
abc.c:16: warning: int format,pid_t arg (arg 2)
ld: warning: symbol 'glob' has differing types:
(file /var/tmp//ccIMPxLe.o type=OBJT; file/usr/lib/libc.so type=FUNC);
/var/tmp//ccIMPxLe.o definition take
ld: warning: symbol 'glob' has differing types:
(file /var/tmp//ccIMPxLe.o type=OBJT; file/usr/lib/libc.so type=FUNC);

Why raise above warning? How to correct it?

Thanks in advance

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long

I do ls -l ABC*, I get arg list too long message. This will not happen if ABC* has small no of files I believe 4000 files is limit. Any way of avoiding this. I even tried like this for i in `ls -l ABC*` do echo $i done Same problem. Any solution would be great. I am on HP-UX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vingupta
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

arg list too long

Does anyone have a solution for arg list too long error. I have got this from the web but I fail to make any sense out of it Thanks enc (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -t arg list too long

echo dirname/filename* | xargs ls -t As a substitute doesn't give the results desired when I exceed the buffer size. I still want the files listed in chronological order, unfortunately xargs releases the names piecemeal...does anyone have any ideas? :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSU_Ram
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long

Hi, Help. I have a file that contains a list of users in a file. I want to cat the content of the file and feed it into sed to a preformated report. The error I got is "ksh: /usr/bin/sed: arg list too long" My method below. A=`cat FILE1.txt` B=`echo $A` sed "s#USERLIST#$B#" FILE2 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Space in a arg

Hi, When i am running a script it considers the below as mulitple arguments. There is any command which can ignore the spaces. I tried by using sed like below to ignore but it doesnt work. sed 's/ /\\ /g'100% Haddock Fillets Battered 500G-small.gif ~vino (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino_hymi
3 Replies

6. Programming

warning: passing arg 1 of `inet_addr' makes pointer from integer without a cast

I use solaris10,following is tcp client code: #include "cliserv.h" int main(int argc,char argv){ struct sockaddr_in serv; char request,reply; int sockfd,n; if(argc!=2) err_quit("usage: tcpclient <IP address of server>"); if((sockfd=socket(PF_INET,SOCK_STREAM,0))<0) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: konvalo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy from/to file, if arg 'ok'

Hello, I've just started with shell scripting, and I need som assistance! Basicly what I want to do is copy names from one file to another, when running the scrip the user should be asked about the status of these names. Let me demonstrate: file: Name: John, Gender: male Name: Jane,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: klskl
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script too many arg's

I have a simple bash script on RHEL that works fine when there is one file but when it finds multiple files of same condition I get too many args error. for i in * do if ;then echo "no files to move" exit 0 fi if ; then ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcalisi
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute arg with ssh

Hello, I am trying to execute remote script with ssh : ssh -o ConnectTimeout=10 -o PasswordAuthentication=no -o NumberOfPasswordPrompts=0 -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no root@host '/arbo/script -t' My script is well executed, but my option '-t' is never loaded, how can you explain that ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cterra
2 Replies
getpid(2)							   System Calls 							 getpid(2)

NAME
getpid, getpgrp, getppid, getpgid - get process, process group, and parent process IDs SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> pid_t getpid(void); pid_t getpgrp(void); pid_t getppid(void); pid_t getpgid(pid_t pid); DESCRIPTION
The getpid() function returns the process ID of the calling process. The getpgrp() function returns the process group ID of the calling process. The getppid() function returns the parent process ID of the calling process. The getpgid() function returns the process group ID of the process whose process ID is equal to pid, or the process group ID of the calling process, if pid is equal to 0. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return the process group ID. Otherwise, getpgid() returns (pid_t)-1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The getpgid() function will fail if: EPERM The process whose process ID is equal to pid is not in the same session as the calling process, and the implementation does not allow access to the process group ID of that process from the calling process. ESRCH There is no process with a process ID equal to pid. The getpgid() function may fail if: EINVAL The value of the pid argument is invalid. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Async-Signal-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
intro(2), exec(2), fork(2), getsid(2), setpgid(2), setpgrp(2), setsid(2), signal(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 28 Dec 1996 getpid(2)