Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting write a shell script to execute a command Post 302329527 by durden_tyler on Sunday 28th of June 2009 03:33:08 PM
Old 06-28-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by learn_linux
So I want to write a small script which can read this file and whenever it is done it just retrieves the output.
Code:
$ 
$ cat file1
crab: Checking the status of all jobs: please wait
crab:
ID STATUS E_HOST EXE_EXIT_CODE JOB_EXIT_STATUS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Done
2 Done

crab: 2 Total Jobs
$ 
$ awk '$2=="Done"' file1
1 Done
2 Done
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Urgent!! How to write a shell program to execute command to access internet?

hi, I am new ot unix. So, can i write a shell(c shell or korn shell) program to access internet? I mean if I run the program, it can access specified url and then copy the html to a file? Can anyone help me? And how can make the program runs every 1 hr? new comer (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firebirdonfire
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Plz Help : How to use write command to execute command on some other terminal

Hi Group , I m trying to execute commands on some other system using write command but inspite of executing the commands they r passed as simple messages. - i m writing >write user-id ! ls o ctrl-d inspite of executing the command ls,other terminal shows ! ls. Thnx in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aashish
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to execute user command

I don't know why the following shell script doesn't work. Could you please help me out? #!/usr/bin/ksh test="cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1" $test I know it will work for the following format: #!/usr/bin/ksh cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1 However, I need to get the command from the user in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redtiger
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Write Shell Script based off of this shell command

I'm trying to read a bunch of log files and output the lines that contain particular strings. To accomplish this, I've been running the following from the command line: find . -name "*" | xargs grep " " | grep " " > output.txt Two grep statements are needed in case I'm looking for a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rally_Point
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a shell script after a particular command is run

Hi, I need to run a script whenever the Cron file is modified. The requirement is whenever a user modifies the cron file, the script should run automatically. Can you please provide your inputs ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harneet2004us
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh command to execute shell script in another server

ssh -q <hostname> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh ssh -q <anotherserver> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh tst.ksh has "nohup <command> & " when i execute below script , its throwing error as nohup can not be found ssh -q <anotherserver> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh > log & can someone let me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to execute command after telneting in shell script?

Hi , I have to write a shell script to telnet to specific host and execute the admin command there. Please help me to do that. Eg : telnet hostname portno admin command exit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found.

I am running the export command within a view to use that value inside my build script. But while executing it it is saying "export command not found" My code is as follows: -------------------------- #!/bin/sh user="test" DIR="/bldtmp/"$user VIEW="test.view1" echo "TMPDIR before export... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchoudhury
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute Oracle relocation command in shell script

Hello, I need to execute below command in shell script srvctl relocate service -d $database -s $service -i $avail -t $pref -f and also need to get the errors ,if any,in another file. What's the right way to execute such commands in shell script? Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute application command in shell script?

friends, i have application commands to execute in shell script it is something like this. i will login with user data it takes me to $ prompt. Example given below login: data ps : xxxx $ MNSinput --this takes me to greater than prompt > > ops --this is command i enter this output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: udaykrishna
7 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-belnstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -l Set an exclusive advisory lock on the standard output file descriptor. This lock is set using fcntl(2) with the F_SETLKW command. If the output file is already locked, cat will block until the lock is acquired. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (e.g., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), fcntl(2), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-belnstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
January 29, 2013 BSD