Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Counting number of commas(,) in a variable Post 302328911 by durden_tyler on Thursday 25th of June 2009 12:31:55 PM
Old 06-25-2009
Code:
$
$ echo "i1@n1@d1,i2@n2@d2,i3@n3@d3" |perl -nle 'chomp; split/,/; foreach $i(@_){print $i}'
i1@n1@d1
i2@n2@d2
i3@n3@d3
$

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

counting the number of lines

Hello, I have afile which begins with a few urls on multiple lines and then there is listing of some information on separate lines. The listing begins with the word Name on a given line followed by teh actual list. I want to count the number of lines in this file after the line having... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nayeemmz
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of occurences

Hi All, I have to count the number of occurences of the character " ; " in a given line. I had used the following awk command to achieve the same echo $KOP.dat|awk '{split($1,my,";"); for(i in my)c++ }END{print c-1}' My file KOP.dat had the following data ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting commas and replacing backslashes with commas

Hi, Newbie here. I have a file that consists of data that I want to convert to a csv file. For example: Jul 20 2008 1111 / visit home / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLOC-1.1 VendorID/105 Jul 21 2008 22222 / add friend / BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangaroo
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of lines - again

Hi all, I use bash shell and I have a problem with wc. I would like to determine the number of lines in a file so I do wc -l filename but I don't want to get the filename again I just would like to have the number of lines and use it in a variable. Can anybody help? Thank you, (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of occurences

say i've got a text file with >10million sequences: ssss ssss tttttt uuuuuu uuuuuu uuuuuu ... I'd like to convert the file so that the output will report the number of occurence right by each sequence: 2 ssss 2 ssss 1 tttttt 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johjoh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with counting of files then pass number to variable

hi all, i'm trying to pass a count of files to a variable thru these set of codes: sh_count=$(ls -1 fnd_upload_LV*.* |wc -l) problem is if no files matches that, it will give an error "ls: fnd_upload_LV*.*: No such file or directory". how do i avoid having the shell script show that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting number of sentence

Hi all I want to count total numbers of sentences separated by fullstop (.) in different files under a directory at one go. Any help is appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of characters

Hi all, Can someone help me in getting the following o/p I/p:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sri3001
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking number of commas in each line.

Hi All, I am checking whether each line is having "n" number of commas or nor. In case not then I need to exit the process. I tried cat "$TEMP_FILE" | while read LINE do processing_line=`expr $processing_line + 1` no_of_delimiters=`echo "$LINE" | awk -F ',' '{ print NF }'` if ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Counting values less than a number

So I have several files (35000, to be exact) in the format rmsd_protein_*.dat each with 2 columns and 35000 rows. I would like to count how many values in the second column are less than 3 for each file, and output it into a new file so that it ultimately appears as: 1 14057 2 ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexandryne
12 Replies
RANGE(3)								 1								  RANGE(3)

range - Create an array containing a range of elements

SYNOPSIS
array range (mixed $start, mixed $end, [number $step = 1]) DESCRIPTION
Create an array containing a range of elements. PARAMETERS
o $start - First value of the sequence. o $end - The sequence is ended upon reaching the $end value. o $step - If a $step value is given, it will be used as the increment between elements in the sequence. $step should be given as a posi- tive number. If not specified, $step will default to 1. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array of elements from $start to $end, inclusive. EXAMPLES
Example #1 range(3) examples <?php // array(0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12) foreach (range(0, 12) as $number) { echo $number; } // The step parameter // array(0, 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100) foreach (range(0, 100, 10) as $number) { echo $number; } // Usage of character sequences // array('a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i'); foreach (range('a', 'i') as $letter) { echo $letter; } // array('c', 'b', 'a'); foreach (range('c', 'a') as $letter) { echo $letter; } ?> NOTES
Note Character sequence values are limited to a length of one. If a length greater than one is entered, only the first character is used. SEE ALSO
shuffle(3), array_fill(3), foreach. PHP Documentation Group RANGE(3)