Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to read a hostname and separate into variables Post 302328870 by glarizza on Thursday 25th of June 2009 10:53:33 AM
Old 06-25-2009
That works! Thanks a million!

Code:
#!/bin/sh

hostname=$1

#first=`echo $1 | cut -d '-' -f1`
#two=`echo $1 | cut -d '-' -f2`
#three= `echo $1 | cut -d '-' -f3`

one=`echo $hostname | awk -F'-' '{print $1}'`
two=`echo $hostname | awk -F'-' '{print $2}'`
three=`echo $hostname | awk -F'-' '{print $3}' | sed 's/\..*//'`

echo "One: [$one]"
echo "Two: [$two]"
echo "Three: [$three]"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cant separate variables

Hey guys, new problem....im not being able to seperate variables. the code runs like this... OPTIONS=$(awk '{print $2}' /etc/fstab} a=$(zenity --list --text "Mount points selection" --radiolist --column "choice" --column "mountpt" FALSE $OPTIONS); echo $a Note: the result i get is that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dplate07
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 1-line file and separate into multiple variables

I have one line files with 17 records separated by a semi-colon. I need to create a variable from each record, which I can do via a separate awk for each one, but I know there has to be a better way. Along with pulling out the variable, I need to convert some url coding like a + to a space, etc.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make 2 separate arguments in 1 bash script?

This is what I have: #!/bin/bash #ascript.sh WORD1=`tail -n +$1 /home/gscn/word1.txt | head -1` sed -e "s/WORD1/$WORD1/g" < /home/gscn/configtmp > /home/gscn/config WORD2=`tail -n +$1 /home/gscn/word2.txt | head -1` sed -e "s/WORD2/$WORD2/g" < /home/gscn/config2tmp >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem using variables in bash script

I am using variable to give the location of the file I am using but I get error. Here is the code: LogFile=/tmp/log.email echo -e "could not close the service - error number $error \n" > $LogFile well this is not all the code but is enough because the problem start when I try to use the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Variables for BASH script

Hello, I am new to the whole "scripting" thing. Below is the script that I have so far and where i need the Variables to go (VAR#) #!/bin/bash #Sample Script VAR1= echo "Choose an option: 1) Create a file. 2) Delete a file. 3) Move a file." read VAR1 case $VAR1 in 1) echo "Pick... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eclerget
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script with export variables

Hi all guys, how you can read in thread title, I'm deploying a bash script in which I have to export some variables inside it. But (I think you know) the export command works only inside the script and so, on exit command, the variables aren't set like I set inside the script. Consequently in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash-how to properly READ and PASTE variables.

Recently i made a script for a project at molecular dynamics but am stuck at the last step.The thing i want to do is to ask the user to input the number of particles, then replace the bolded numbers at lines 9 and 17.. code #!/bin/bash #read number of particles echo "insert the number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arisinhell
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a file and store in variables

I have a input file like this. Sample.txt 30 | TXDatacenter | TXBackupDC 10 | UKDatacenter | UKBackupDC 0 | NLDatacenter | NLBackupDC ...... ...... ...... I need to get these values in different variables like this. Load1=30 PriCenter1=TXDatacenter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Visha
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variables and bash script

From the command line: dions-air:scripts dion$ ls -l /Users/dion/Library/Application\ Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCX -rw-r--r-- 1 dion staff 157934 7 Jun 06:55 /Users/dion/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Devices/3816821036/History/2014-06-07-055251.TCXworks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dionbl
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables from a text file for use in csh script

Hello, I have a text file (say, declarevars.txt) that contains multiple lines that are essentially meant to be variable declarations: set arr1 = (var1a var1b var1c) set arr2 = (var2a var2b var2c) . . . I want to be able to read this text file within a csh (sorry) script and have that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjaydj
2 Replies
service(8)						      System Manager's Manual							service(8)

NAME
service - run a System V init script SYNOPSIS
service SCRIPT COMMAND [OPTIONS] service --status-all service --help | -h | --version DESCRIPTION
service runs a System V init script in as predictable environment as possible, removing most environment variables and with current working directory set to /. The SCRIPT parameter specifies a System V init script, located in /etc/init.d/SCRIPT. The supported values of COMMAND depend on the invoked script, service passes COMMAND and OPTIONS it to the init script unmodified. All scripts should support at least the start and stop commands. As a special case, if COMMAND is --full-restart, the script is run twice, first with the stop command, then with the start command. service --status-all runs all init scripts, in alphabetical order, with the status command. EXIT CODES
service calls the init script and returns the status returned by it. FILES
/etc/init.d The directory containing System V init scripts. ENVIRONMENT
LANG, TERM The only environment variables passed to the init scripts. SEE ALSO
/etc/init.d/skeleton, update-rc.d(8), init(8), invoke-rc.d(8). Jan 2006 service(8)