Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Test for shell interpreter at beginning of script Post 302328636 by methyl on Wednesday 24th of June 2009 10:01:12 PM
Old 06-24-2009
Current /bin/sh (POSIX) is quite different from say Berkeley /bin/sh (BSD).
That is the issue.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help with test condition in shell script

I'm new to scripting and I need help with a bourn shell script. What i'm trying to do is a test condition where "if the time is within 2 hours, it's true" and so on. The time is in the following format DATE=`/bin/date +"%Y%m%d%H%S"` for example, 20060907152000. So, what the script first... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pieman8080
9 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

rediretion and pipes in DOS shell cmd interpreter

Hello, I am trying to accomplish the following. Send the output of a command to the screen (this happens by default) as well as capture the output of the screen to a log file. How can this be achieved in DOS command interpreter syntax. Any ideas/suggesstions/indicators are greatly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell and commandline interpreter-definitions

What is the difference between the(a) shell and the (a) command-line interpreter? Here we're talking about the complete dummy question, but could someone point me right. (yes, have written scripts in for instance bash shell, and and grepp-ed my way around ....:eek: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amkgw
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

test script to identify SHELL

I am new to BASH and writing a small script to identify the SHELL . #!/bin/bash BASH='/bin/bash' KSH='/bin/ksh' if then echo "it's Bash" else echo "it's not Bash" fi $ bash -x a.sh + BASH=/bin/bash + KSH=/bin/ksh + '' a.sh: line 4: where am I missing . PLease advice . (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

-a test in shell script

I need clarification in -a test. If say, in test -a left expression is not present but the right expression is present, do the shell will consider the left expression true and evaluate the right expression? For example: if ] then rm -f ${file} fi Is this test condition... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatanig
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with connectivity test using shell script

I want to test connectivity between different servers with my server using information as IP and port only. I have Name,IP List and port in one file. Please help how i can test connectivity is successful or not? File format will be: Name1,127.0.0.1,80 Name2,127.0.0.2,8080 Output could be ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell BASIC interpreter(s)...

I am looking for a simple BASIC Interpreter written in a shell scripting language. For me something like this would be a great learning tool... After much goggle eyed Googling I came upon this:- https://gist.github.com/cander/2785819 It is small and I haven't tried it yet as I am at work... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Test shell script (PROBLEM)

Dears , kindly I wanna do test for one KSH script to know how is it working , the problem that I'm facing is whenever put "sh -x ./my_script.sh" the output seems very long & although I tried to to redirect it to files as it shown , but it failed :eek: :- sh -x ./my_script.sh >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Perl Interpreter Default Shell

Hello. We have recently changed from HP Unix Servers to Solaris. On the HP Severs we were using the POSIX shell. Solaris is using the Bourne sh. We are using ksh as our default shell after login. The problem we are encountering is when something like Perl or Cron uses the shell to execute a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mix123
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding test to beginning and end of list in a file

Hi all and apologies for the silly question, but I've searched and I can't get this right. I have a list of email addresses in a file that I need to blacklist (spam). the list is quite long and I would need to script a small routine so that I can get the following for each line in the file: db... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bm555
4 Replies
BZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  BZEXE(1)

NAME
bzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
bzexe [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
The bzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``bzexe /bin/cat'' it will create the following two files: -r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 9644 Feb 11 11:16 /bin/cat -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 24576 Nov 23 13:21 /bin/cat~ /bin/cat~ is the original file and /bin/cat is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /bin/cat~ once you are sure that /bin/cat works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
bzip2(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some other utilities (tail, chmod, ln, sleep). BUGS
bzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. BZEXE(1)